Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2015, 01:01 AM   #1

PSA: Reset to factory settings before writing off your K-5!

This is an experience I recently had with my K-5 that may be useful for others.

I took it out in the pouring rain in Kyoto with the 18-135 WR kit lens. The camera performed well, but unfortunately circumstances (museum visit) forced me
to put it in my (also wet) bag afterwards. Which I knew was a mistake, but oh well. After a few hours in the damp air there was condensation in the lens whenever the temperature changed, and also some in my LCD and the panel display. I left the camera with all seals open in my hotel room for a while, and over night put it in a bag of rice.

The next day, there was again some condensation, which disappeared after a quick airing (removed the lens). However, I noticed that some of the buttons behaved funny, particularly the ISO/EV buttons. I was already preparing to write off the camera. But I noticed that some of the buttons were behaving funny in a context-sensitive way, i.e. they worked in some of the menus. Could it be... that it's a software issue? So I reset the camera to factory settings and *boom*, everything worked fine again!

My theory is that the condensation temporarily shorted some contacts in the electronics that messed with the programming of the buttons. So if your K-5 is behaving weirdly after an encounter with the elements, try resetting the software before you throw it out! In my case, no long-term damage was done that I could see.

10-04-2015, 04:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A valuable lesson. Thanks.
10-04-2015, 10:17 AM   #3

Great Insight!