Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 Shutter Actuation Count

Hi,
Can the shutter actuation count on a K5 be reset to zero by a user?
Regards.

10-28-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

No, but image count reverts after it hits 9999. No Pentax camera lets you reset the shutter count, not to be confused with imgp numbers.
10-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Hi,
Can the shutter actuation count on a K5 be reset to zero by a user?
Regards.
Yup, you can't reset the internal counter, but if you want to get the filenames to go back to 0001, just create a file named IMGP9999.JPG in your current folder, and your next photo should roll over to 1

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-28-2015, 01:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why would you reset it? It is kind of like resetting the meter in a car and that is basically only used for tricking second hand buyers.

10-28-2015, 03:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Why would you reset it? It is kind of like resetting the meter in a car and that is basically only used for tricking second hand buyers.
I took it as the OP was interested in buying a k-5 and wanted to be sure the count was correct and not modified. But it could be either way I suppose
10-28-2015, 05:50 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I took it as the OP was interested in buying a k-5 and wanted to be sure the count was correct and not modified. But it could be either way I suppose
I read it that way too. Or maybe that the OP had bought a K5 and doubted the count... But yes, could be either way...
10-30-2015, 03:10 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi,
I am looking at buying a K5 and was told that you could reset the shutter actuation count, and this I was unsure of, thanks very much all who responded.
Regards.

10-30-2015, 04:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Hi, I am looking at buying a K5 and was told that you could reset the shutter actuation count, and this I was unsure of, thanks very much all who responded. Regards.
The simple way to make sure is to take a jpeg direct from the camera and upload it to this site: Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader The shutter count will be extracted, and no it cannot be changed. This count is different than the one that shows up in file names, that one CAN be changed and is not reliable for determining the actual number of actuations since it rolls over after 9999.
10-31-2015, 07:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The simple way to make sure is to take a jpeg direct from the camera and upload it to this site: Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader The shutter count will be extracted, and no it cannot be changed. This count is different than the one that shows up in file names, that one CAN be changed and is not reliable for determining the actual number of actuations since it rolls over after 9999.
It seems to work with RAW (DNG) files as well.