Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A Leap Forward... "New" K-5IIs for Christmas

All last year/early this year I was looking for a used K-5IIs, but just wasn't finding the right one, so I gave up before summer. Out of the blue today I closed a deal on a local camera in like new condition and low shutter count that was posted here for sale. Going from a K-x to this camera is a massive jump. I played around with it a bit this afternoon (but it's back in the box) and have the battery on the charger. Will wait for Dec. 25th to break it out and call it my own. I had given up on finding a nice 5IIs but happy it all worked out. Will spend 2016 getting some better glass.

I've been busy with work and haven't been out shooting for months... I'm sure that slump is over after the 25th.

12-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations!!! and it's a really nice camera. A big step up from a Kx. So, the question now is - are you going to change your name from OrangeKx to BlackK5IIs?

12-06-2015, 07:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Congratulations!!! and it's a really nice camera. A big step up from a Kx. So, the question now is - are you going to change your name from OrangeKx to BlackK5IIs?

LOL... not a bad idea.
12-06-2015, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations, but the next 19 days will be hard since you know it's there.

12-06-2015, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I have a K5IIS and the detail and color in the images is superior. It performs on an excellent level. The lack of the AA filter allows images to be accurate/precise. I also have a K3II and I feel that it may be more advanced due to its being a later model development, but the K5IIS which I used on my Sigma 150-500 for birding/wildlife for thousands of shots is dependable and a stellar performer. I have it on my Pentax 16-85 now and just purchased a Pentax OGPS-1 GPS unit for it to do some celestial (astro) photography of the stars and other. I hope you enjoy your K5IIS and have a Merry Christmas!!
12-07-2015, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Congratulations, but the next 19 days will be hard since you know it's there.
He's not the only one checking his newly arrived Christmas presents for function before having to stuff them back in the box. Christmas can't come fast enough this year, LOL.
12-07-2015, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Very disciplined!

12-07-2015, 06:46 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
He's not the only one checking his newly arrived Christmas presents for function before having to stuff them back in the box. Christmas can't come fast enough this year, LOL.
What'd you get?
12-07-2015, 06:48 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
All last year/early this year I was looking for a used K-5IIs, but just wasn't finding the right one, so I gave up before summer. Out of the blue today I closed a deal on a local camera in like new condition and low shutter count that was posted here for sale. Going from a K-x to this camera is a massive jump. I played around with it a bit this afternoon (but it's back in the box) and have the battery on the charger. Will wait for Dec. 25th to break it out and call it my own. I had given up on finding a nice 5IIs but happy it all worked out. Will spend 2016 getting some better glass.

I've been busy with work and haven't been out shooting for months... I'm sure that slump is over after the 25th.
Congrats on the new-to-you K5IIs - a fine camera indeed!
12-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
What'd you get?
It has something to do with the numbers 15, 21 and 70. Some of it has already arrived, been tested, and put back in its box for wrapping. My recently-bought 2nd-hand 17mm/3.5 RMC Tokina is now going to be relegated semi-permanently to film, which to be fair is the main reason I bought it (I always knew I'd be getting the 15 someday). Also going over to film is my AF200Sa thyristor flash - there's a high-end Pentax coming in to take its place on the digital body, and the 200Sa will do its best work on the film bodies because of its ability to self-regulate on film bodies that don't have TTL. I have yet to try it out on the Spotmatics, but it seemed to do alright on my ME, which doesn't have any auto-programming as such, and I'm waiting for the first roll back from the MX to see how well it worked on that.
12-07-2015, 09:31 AM   #11
Site Supporter

It has something to do with the numbers 15, 21 and 70.
I'm allowed to hate you now, right? I wasn't all that enamored by the 21 when I rented it, but I could see liking the 15 and the 70.
12-07-2015, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Congrats on the new camera!
12-07-2015, 12:13 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I'm allowed to hate you now, right?
You are, yes.

I sort of envy the OP his new acquisition. I'm not that far behind him - I have the original K-5 - but the -II and -IIs were either not yet out or so new that too little was known about their foibles when I acquired it, so I went for the (at that stage) tried and true original. (I had no option but to buy when I did; I needed it for work). The more I hear about the -IIs, the more I wish my *ist-DL had lived just a little longer, but "that which is, is what must be". And I didn't have all you guys back then to help me make my decision.

(Well, actually that isn't entirely true - my decision came down to the K-5 versus the K-30, and it was Ed of Photouniverse fame whose enthusiasm for the K-5 shoved me over the edge. And in the long run it seems he's subliminally talked me into all the DA limiteds too. Good call, Ed. )

Last edited by pathdoc; 12-07-2015 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Para break
12-07-2015, 02:56 PM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

You are, yes.

I sort of envy the OP his new acquisition. I'm not that far behind him - I have the original K-5 - but the -II and -IIs were either not yet out or so new that too little was known about their foibles when I acquired it, so I went for the (at that stage) tried and true original. (I had no option but to buy when I did; I needed it for work). The more I hear about the -IIs, the more I wish my *ist-DL had lived just a little longer, but "that which is, is what must be".
Ah, you did just fine buying the K5, in my opinion. The K3 is my main camera and my older K5 is technically my backup body, but I find myself using it just as much as the K3 (in fact, I only ever shoot my M42 lenses on the K5). Unless you're pixel peeping at 1:1 reproduction, I defy anyone to tell the difference except in the most technical testing scenarios. The K5IIs is a step up, no doubt, but - and you know this anyway - there's nothing you can't do with the K5 that you could do with the K5IIs; not in normal shooting situations
12-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I'm sure I did. There's no way I would trade it in for any APS-C that wasn't as least as good as a K3-II, but one is allowed to play what-if games.