Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5 freezing each and every shutter actuation

Dang! My third and last K-5 has started to have a serious issue now too:

Each and every shutter actuation it completely locks up. Sometimes when it locks up I can hear the SR whirring for a short time. Every time I end up taking out the battery and reinserting it to unfreeze the device. Only to lock up again with the next shutter actuation.

I've tried different batteries, different SD cards, different lenses. All kinds of shooting modes. I've updated the firmware to the 1.16 version. But it just freezes with each and every shutter actuation.

I've searched high and low on Google and Pentaxforums, but I just can't seem to find similar cases. Only cases of sporadic freezing.

Any ideas? Or is it ripe for the scrapyard?

12-24-2015, 10:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you haven't inexplicably left it in timed mode or mirror-up, I'd say there's something seriously wrong there. If you can't wait for, or don't want, or can't afford the full-frame, I'd say there's a K3 of some sort in your future. You and the K-5 seem to have a very bad relationship. Otherwise a KS-2 or similar to tide you over?
12-24-2015, 10:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My k-5 started doing that, intermittently at first, then with more frequency. This might be the same issue taken to the extreme or something else. There were a lot of reports about this back in the day. If I remember correctly it had to do with the mirror actuator arm binding and causing the motor involved to go into an overvoltage situation which froze the camera. For a while I could fix mine with a sharp rap on the base which dislodged the actuator arm.

In the end the only cure was to send it in for repair, which I did under the extended warranty. Never had an issue after, sold it on a year later and I assume it is still going.
12-24-2015, 10:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for confirming guys. That FF is surely in my future, yes. But I would have loved to keep my K-5 as a second body.

01-02-2016, 08:23 PM   #5

Have you attached any unusual flash equipment lately? Is live view working correctly and are your photos normal on screen?
02-09-2016, 12:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by plooksta Quote
Have you attached any unusual flash equipment lately? Is live view working correctly and are your photos normal on screen?
Sorry for not replying. I haven't been very active on the forum lately due to other priorities.

Well, it all started when I had my Metz flash attached. Don't know the model number now, but it's a very modern version, with touch screen. I've tried labelling it as a suspect, but can't find any evidence. Still reluctant to use it on my replacement camera though.

Live view doesn't work at all. It's like it crashes as soon as the camera tries to get an image from the sensor. So, no photos to view on screen either, because it's impossible to take any photos.

I bought mezelf a nice K-5IIs! Waiting for the FF seems unrealistic. And I prefer the sensor over that of the K-3. Problem solved. Though, any magic diy tips for recovery are always welcome. Doesn't hurt to have an extra body.

Last edited by Clavius; 02-09-2016 at 12:59 AM.