Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2016, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New K5 Owner

Hi all

I've just taken the plunge and ordered myself a used K5 to replace my Kr. I'm reading, and watching everything I can while I wait for it to arrive.

My question for you all is "What should I do first when it arrives?"

I can't wait. 😀

Ray

05-07-2016, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations. Just play with it. The K5 is a very intuitive camera with lots of dedicated buttons and switches as opposed to the more menu driven controls of some other Pentaxes. Also update the firmware.
When you're through with that ,check out this video by Gary Fong on optimum settings for K series cameras:

Last edited by Andy Fern; 05-07-2016 at 04:41 AM.
05-07-2016, 04:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Answer: Shoot the hell out of it!
05-07-2016, 04:56 AM   #4
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day Ray,

When your K5 first arrives, I'd suggest a little jig.

Then:

Check it's in good nick, if it is, charge the battery. Read the instructions whilst the battery is charging.

Once the battery is charged put an SD card in, format it and confirm if it has the most up to date K5 firmware. If not download and install the latest firmware. Set your camera up to your preferences (RAW/JPEG, DNG/PEF, and camera settings).

Once this is done go out and take photos. If you find there are issues with images being out of focus check for front/back focus. If it is out you can find the steps for testing and adjusting for back/front focus in the forums. Don't forget to ask if you can't find things here, most people here are very happy to assist.

Other than that, you should be good to just go out and explore what you can create with the K5. The only other things you may consider is If you use lots of manual focus fast lenses you may want to swap the focus screen. The second thing is if you find the body small in the hand (the pinky finger seems to drop off the bottom of the grip for example) you might want to add a battery grip. I have used grips on my K10D, K7 and K5, I personally feel it is better balanced with one. Not an essential of course, but something you can do with this camera if it suits you.

f the camera has been looked after then you probably just need to charge the battery and format a card to be on your way. The K5 is a great camera, I still use one and expect you will find the extra control it gives you will mean plenty of years to enjoy what you and your new camera can create.

Tas

05-07-2016, 05:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Hines Quote
Hi all

I've just taken the plunge and ordered myself a used K5 to replace my Kr. I'm reading, and watching everything I can while I wait for it to arrive.

My question for you all is "What should I do first when it arrives?"

I can't wait. 😀

Ray
Get out and shoot!

Seriously, you'll want to be sure your battery is fully charged and get your settings where you want them. Then... Get out and shoot!
05-07-2016, 06:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To agree with what Andy said, update the firmware if it's not already the latest. I would add that you should reset it to factory defaults, then set the time to your correct time and time zone. Then take a million "test" shots with different lenses.

I LOVE my K5! My daughter (a pro) uses a K3 which I've tried, and frankly for what I do the K5 is just as good. I rarely use autofocus, but when I do it works great.

Enjoy!

-Joe-

Last edited by k0og; 05-07-2016 at 07:12 AM.
05-07-2016, 07:10 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations, the K-5 has been my only DSLR for almost 4 years, I am very happy with its versatility.

The K-5 has many incredible features, so read the manual, but most importantly, get familiar with which of of the two dials controls shutter speed and which controls aperture, especially if you like to shoot in fully manual mode.

Consider joining the daily or Single In group, it encourages you to shoot often, and you can get a lot of useful feedback and advice as well.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.

05-07-2016, 07:43 AM   #8

Out of curiosity: What type of subject matter do you like to photograph? What lenses to you have?

Overall the K-5 is a great camera. Some people found theirs to be finicky with erratic front or back focusing, extra prone to front or back focusing under incandescent lighting, and subject to AF hunting resulting in a slow lock onto focus. Others reported not having many issues with those characteristics. I think some of it depends on operator expectations, style of use and adaptation. As with all photographic gear since the AF era, I believe that some of the issues lie with the individual products as well. Negative comments, opinions and feedback get broadcasted much more frequent and widespread than positive ones. Back in its introduction days there was more than one review article that reported experiencing the K-5 AF as hunting more, but achieving a higher accuracy than the Nikon D7000. Of course these comments were subtle and never got much attention.

Based on my own personal experience, I'm convinced that getting the AF fine adjustment right on a per-lens basis can help resolve much of the previously mentioned challenges. I believe that the electronic system needs a certain fine level of acuity in order for it be confident it has arrived at focus. This seems to help reduce hunting. It is equally important that the operator recognize the overall size of sensor (e.g. center sensor) and understand how the make-up of contrast within that target is going to influence the AF decision. For example; insufficient contrast (e.g. a person's cheek only) is going to lead to hunting, while contrast resulting from a busy background or foreground (e.g. contrasty subject matter behind the bridge of the nose) is going to distract the sensor. That being said and in comparison to the newer products, the K-5 level AF will struggle with very low light situations.

PS- the center sensor is a cross that practically fills the entire center bracket (+). The specific AF sensor size relative to the view finder markings (and it response) can be explored as the sensor approaches a target from the side using a coin or other small object taped to a contrasting monotone wall.

PS, PS- be careful visiting the K-5 'show us your pictures' thread as it is loaded with excellent examples from many great forum members and can be quite addicting.
05-07-2016, 08:47 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I had two K-5s. It performs very well and produces excellent images. You may want to just go through simple operation of it and during outings sample with different settings to accomodate subject movement and light conditions. Trial and error can teach a person, and checking/studying the manual is always a source for direct answers.
05-07-2016, 11:24 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks all, it's much appreciated. I already have the manual on my tablet so I'll be getting to know it before the K5 arrives.

One3rdEV: I have these lenses, nothing special I'm afraid.
18-55 & 50-200 kit lenses.
DA 35mm f/2.4 AL
Tamron AF 70-300 f/4-5.6 DI LD Macro 1:2
Tamron SP AF 90 mm f/2.8 DI Macro 1:1
Pentax - zoom 1:3.5-4.5 35-70mm (My favourite, but now getting a bit of mold)
Pentax-M 1:3.5 135mm
Auto Chinon 1:1.7 50mm

I'll take pictures of most things, check out my Flickr here https://www.flickr.com/photos/rayhines/

Last edited by Ray Hines; 05-08-2016 at 12:35 AM.
05-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #11
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

check out my Flickr here https://www.flickr.com/photos /rayhines/
The link is incomplete, unless all your photos are in Explore.
05-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is the correct address: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rayhines/
Some good looking shots there!
05-07-2016, 05:36 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Here is the correct address
Thanks for the link, very nice shots indeed
05-08-2016, 12:37 AM   #14

Original Poster
I don't know why the link was wrong but thanks for correcting it. Thanks for the compliments as well, always appreciated.
05-09-2016, 07:55 AM   #15
Pentaxian

18-55 & 50-200 kit lenses.
DA 35mm f/2.4 AL
Tamron AF 70-300 f/4-5.6 DI LD Macro 1:2
Tamron SP AF 90 mm f/2.8 DI Macro 1:1
Pentax - zoom 1:3.5-4.5 35-70mm (My favourite, but now getting a bit of mold)
Pentax-M 1:3.5 135mm
Auto Chinon 1:1.7 50mm
You might call it nothing special, but that's a nicely balanced set of lenses; and if that was all I had I'd still be doing pretty well. I've got the 135mm f/3.5 M, and come fine weather it will quite probably be spending a lot of time outdoors on film bodies.