Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2016, 11:41 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K5 lock-up & battery?

My K-5 has been a good reliable camera, bought new in Dec 2010.
It's started having random lock ups, where it won't turn off, you have to remove the battery to shut it off and re-set it.
You generally lose what ever you last shot when you do this, so it's not completing an exposure and saving it. The mirror stays up, and none of the buttons or the main switch do anything.
I had it happen the other night while shooting video of my son's band concert, and lost his performance.
I rarely shoot video except for this kind of stuff. 99% of my use is stills in most of the different modes of the camera.
Lock ups are very random, and not easily repeatable, except when you really need it to work, so hard to troubleshoot.

I suspect it may be a battery issue, but I have 5 batteries I rotate between my K-3 and K-5, not a conscious action, just re-charge as needed and put a fresh one in what ever camera needs one. I've yet to seen similar problem in the K-3.

Three batteries are Pentax, two are Wasabis. Two of the Pentax batteries are the same age as the K-5, the other came with my K-3 in 2013. The Wasabis have never lasted as long as the Pentax, but they are still very usable. I bought the Wasabis with the K-3.
The K-5 battery meter does not show low battery when this happens, and I can still shoot for a long time with the K-3 showing low battery.

Any thoughts or similar experiences out there?

Looks like Precision wants about $200 just to look at it, and likely more for any repair, as I suspect they would just start replaceing components,
May be a new K3 or K3II in my future?

05-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
Any thoughts or similar experiences out there?
This was a known issue with the k-5. There would be quite a few threads about it here someplace.

I forget the exact term, maybe it was the "mirror actuator" or something like that. For awhile I just just smacked the bottom of the camera when mine got stuck, worked quite well, (but not recommended) Anyway, it will gradually get worse and does need repair to fix. Mine was done under the extended warranty so no cost to me. You will need to decide if it is worth the cost of repair or if it is time to trade it in.
05-21-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not sure this is mirror related,
It also happens in Video and when in live view too, so the mirror is not part of the actuation cycle, in those modes
And it's only started in the last couple months,
I've had it for 6-years and it's seen lots of use,

Last edited by K-Three; 05-21-2016 at 03:16 PM. Reason: fat fingers
05-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #4
Forum Member

My K-5 showed this behaviour particulary shooting in burst mode when using a cheap third party battery. Never happend with the original battery, so i'm just using this one now.

05-21-2016, 08:36 PM   #5

K 5

My K5 has started to do odd stuff at random times. For instance , turning any control wheel or trying to change any adjustment will flip the mirror multiple times . Has anyone experienced this behavior in a K5 I only have wasabi batteries .
And also , is there a decent repair shop in the Michigan area?
Thanks for ANY help You can offer up.
05-26-2016, 08:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K5, if I'm using the grip, I never have a lockup issue, but if I'm shooting without it, I can expect an issue. Not sure why mine is like this, but it is.
05-26-2016, 09:13 AM   #7

I don't think it's a battery issues as my K-5 is behaving similarly when using live view in combination with changing some settings. Switching off doesn't even power the camera down ... the only solution is to take the battery out for a second. Very annoying but not that big of a struggle if it only occurs once in a while.

Last edited by vinni; 05-26-2016 at 09:13 AM. Reason: removed a typo