Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2016, 09:13 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5IIs SR problem??

Sunday evening with the new moon, I went out to shoot the Milky Way. While I was shooting a stitched pano, on a tripod, with an external shutter release - SR would pop on randomly for some frames and off for others - both with and with out GPS enabled or even physically mounted .

Using PhotoMe, I looked at the EXIF Meta data and sure enough, Image Stabilizer was Stabilized for the problem image and Not Ready for the image that was OK. These were 8 second images, so they were taken within a couple of seconds of each other - just enough for the initial image to save and be displayed and recognized as a problem, followed by taking an additional replacement image (that turned out to not have the problem).

Through out the night, I was sort of trouble shooting after I saw this start happening. Initially was using the O-GPS1 and it happened once (where the sensor was stabilized and not astrotracking. Then with the GPS still mounted, I was just taking some non GPS shots and it was occurring. So, I removed the GPS unit from the body of the camera, and still had this occurring. Then replaced the battery in the camera with a fresh one, and it still happened yet again. This problem occurred across two lenses.

Question - has anyone else had this happen? I have probably 20 images that this occurred to. I have had the body about 18 months now, along with a Pentax warranty. Considering sending it in to the vets.

It was not a stellar evening for me. I swapped lenses and left the lens cap on for 21 shots.

Just for grins the two shots below were 8 seconds at f1.8 at ISO 3200 at 19mm

What is interesting is on the first image given that the landscape is blurred, it looks like the GPS (astrotracking) was on along with SR - which is not suppose to happen

Attached Images

06-07-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Did you manually disable SR or use a drive mode that disables it, like the 2s self timer? I don't think the external release will disable it by default.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't think the external release will disable it by default.
Wired release does not disable SR. The camera does not know whether the wired release is being used or not. I assume it is just an extension of the shutter button circuit. Wireless release does disable SR. But you have to be in 'remote' shooting mode.

But considering how much time the OP spends in the dark with a remote release I'm guessing he knows this. Hope it is the release though, and not a problem with the camera.
06-07-2016, 10:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had a problem with the SR in my K-5II about a year and a half ago. SR worked perfectly in Live View, but no matter the settings it would produce blurry shots when shooting through the VF. Sensor assemmbly ended up being replaced.

06-07-2016, 11:00 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Did you manually disable SR or use a drive mode that disables it, like the 2s self timer? I don't think the external release will disable it by default.
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Wired release does not disable SR. The camera does not know whether the wired release is being used or not. I assume it is just an extension of the shutter button circuit. Wireless release does disable SR. But you have to be in 'remote' shooting mode.

But considering how much time the OP spends in the dark with a remote release I'm guessing he knows this. Hope it is the release though, and not a problem with the camera.
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I had a problem with the SR in my K-5II about a year and a half ago. SR worked perfectly in Live View, but no matter the settings it would produce blurry shots when shooting through the VF. Sensor assemmbly ended up being replaced.
Good question - I have never really considered this as it has not happened previously. I have gotten so use to shooting off of LiveView (for the level indicators horiz/vert) that I have stopped disabling SR manually (for the last couple of years - K5/K5IIs), and just have gone off the external release. That could certainly be the problem here. This is the first time this has occurred, I have stopped using the 2 second timer and mirror up, since that just adds delay between shots and the sky is in motion (if I'm doing stitching).

It looks like I'll just lock the mirror up from now on and manually disable the SR. It was so much easier when there was a dedicated button (K20) for this (also as a reminder). Menu diving is a PIA. I think that that SR can be mapped to a button.

I was trying to concentrate on figuring out my ISO and shutter speed (this year, 1600 appears to not grab enough light, while 3200 pushes the noise too much). My workflow in the field as well as post processing has just gone down hill this year. The resultant images are somewhat pliable as raw, but stitching and pulling in as a TIFF (or PNG), they become extremely brittle to any post processing.

I was really trying to go back to the basics on this trip and to somewhat start all over.

... anyway, here is the last set of frames that I was able to recover and stitch. This was midnight - 2 miles from the nearest road (at a trailhead parking area), absolutely dark. I individually processed the right hand most frame (because of the light pollution) and then applied the processing across the rest of the set. The purple was not in the individual frames at all (lower left) - introduced by Microsoft ICE. I didn't have any lights on at all. Better stars, but 3200 is too gritty. 8 seconds - too short, should have gone to 10 seconds and the stars would have not trailed. No GPS tracking on this set.

Attached Images

06-08-2016, 12:28 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
It looks like I'll just lock the mirror up from now on and manually disable the SR. It was so much easier when there was a dedicated button (K20) for this (also as a reminder). Menu diving is a PIA. I think that that SR can be mapped to a button.
You may be able to map it to the RAW button. On the K-1, you can do that as well as adding SR to the control panel, which makes it super-easy to change.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-08-2016, 08:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

That SR where used seemingly at random is explainable if you used a wired remote. If you shoot to quick SR don't have to time to get ready and will thus not be used, if you half pressed or did something else to wake it up before firing it would have been used.

But it's really weird that you got this long trailing motion when SR where used, something is definitely wrong there. That should not happen.
I would do some more tests if I where you trying to replicate the problem at home.