Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2016, 10:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Anyone tried LR plugin with K-5ii?

Hi,

Just wanted to see if anyone had already tried to tether a K-5ii withe the new Ricoh plugin for Lightroom. It says only for the K-1, and 645Z, but I was dreaming it may work, somewhere, somehow......l'm so jealous of the Canikon folks who have tethering for so long....I really want it too! I recently tried Pkteher again on 3 different OS's, and all it did was crash after I released the shutter

George

07-05-2016, 10:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gsrokmix Quote
Hi,

Just wanted to see if anyone had already tried to tether a K-5ii withe the new Ricoh plugin for Lightroom. It says only for the K-1, and 645Z, but I was dreaming it may work, somewhere, somehow......l'm so jealous of the Canikon folks who have tethering for so long....I really want it too! I recently tried Pkteher again on 3 different OS's, and all it did was crash after I released the shutter

George
I'm sorry to say that it won't work, as the camera needs to be able to communicate with LR. I think you can use PKtether with the K-5, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-05-2016, 10:49 PM   #3
Brooke Meyer

Hi,

George
PkTether works okay on my 6 yr old ThinkPad Win7 and now Win 10 and my home brew I5 workstation with win 10. Does a weird default to 30 second exposure when first turned on but okay after that. I use it hooked up to a projector in my classes. K5IIs bodies. If I use my K3II, I'll have to cave and load up LR.
07-06-2016, 04:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm using pktether with windows 10 and K-5II and it works pretty well.

07-06-2016, 08:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I tried using the latest version of PKtether on my Macbook Pro running both Windows 10, and Windows 7 using Parallels. The camera is recognized properly by the OS in both cases, and the program will show me all of the settings on the camera, so it's communicating to some degree. I do not get any display uowever. As I said when I trgger the camera from the software, both OSs would crash. I have read on the PKtether site that other people have had similar oroblems. No solutions were offerred. I'm pretty sure I have the newest firmware that they put out for the K-5 ii. I haven't updated it in a couple of years. I have tried switchibg the USB modes in the camera, but that didn't seem to make a difference in getting the software to work. I believe the P setting worked better.

Any other thoughts on why it's not working for me?

Thanks,

George
07-08-2016, 03:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

So I plugged in my K-5II, launched pktether and it automatically started snapping pics based on its last setup. Here is a screenshot showing pktether version 0.7.0 - don't know if its latest or not.

---------- Post added 07-08-16 at 06:46 AM ----------

If I disable periodic shooting. I can manually snap shots just fine.

You may have a software conflict. It may be LR or the OS trying to access the camera because of some setting like auto import photos - just a guess.

---------- Post added 07-08-16 at 06:46 AM ----------

If I disable periodic shooting. I can manually snap shots just fine.

You may have a software conflict. It may be LR or the OS trying to access the camera because of some setting like auto import photos - just a guess.[/quote]
The only thing I find annoying is that pktether flashes the LCD at the top incessantly.

---------- Post added 07-08-16 at 06:51 AM ----------

The only thing I find annoying is that pktether flashes the top LCD incessantly.

Last edited by k5astro; 07-08-2016 at 03:50 AM.
07-08-2016, 09:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi gbeaton,

Thanks for the info. I will keep trying to find the conflict. I had the same problem with the LCD light blinking, and if you just go into the menu & turn the light off, it will stop.

Thanks,

George

07-08-2016, 12:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi gbeaton,

Thanks for the info. I will keep trying to find the conflict. I had the same problem with the LCD light blinking, and if you just go into the menu & turn the light off, it will stop.

Thanks,

George
Ah! Thanks for the tip.