Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2016, 12:55 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can Anyone tell what I did to my K-5II?

I was at the beach yesterday and had my K-5II with me. I took a couple of shots and kept my camera in the bag for a while since we were going to have lunch. A couple of hours later, I took out my camera and wanted to take pictures. A weird thing happened that I couldn't take pictures anymore. The camera seemed stuck as the aperture indicated F--.

I tried moving the dials and nothing seemed to happened. I removed the memory card and also loosened the lens and placed it back again. After a while of scuffling with the camera, I moved the rear dial and the aperture started to move and everything was back to normal.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong and how did I do this?

07-31-2016, 01:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How hot did the bag get?
07-31-2016, 01:12 AM   #3

Can happen very occasionally, the easiest thing usually is to remove and replace the battery.
07-31-2016, 01:42 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it a lens with an aperture ring ?

If so the aperture ring was probably slightly shifted

07-31-2016, 01:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@jawsy
How hot did the bag get?
Bag was at normal temperature. I left the bag in our rest area. It was a very cloudy day and rained later in the afternoon.

@chrism888
Can happen very occasionally, the easiest thing usually is to remove and replace the battery.
I think I did that. Probably that helped.

@Crooski
Is it a lens with an aperture ring ?
The regular 18-135
07-31-2016, 02:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The answer to your question is that you've done nothing wrong.

I'm thinking it might be lens related, but that's just a guess/intuition. It happened to me on a *istDS but it was so long ago that I can't remember anything about it other than it only happened once or twice on a Sigma kit lens. My father in-law has the camera and lens and it's never happened to him.

I wouldn't get too stressed about it.
07-31-2016, 04:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It means thar communication between the lens and body is broken. The F-- signals that the camera cannot read the aperture from the lens. That tend to happen when the contacts in the mount are dirty, so cleaning them should be the starting point.

07-31-2016, 06:40 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both a K5 and a K5IIs and when they get heat soaked - too hot, I get a small red thermometer icon on the rear screen - sensor is too hot, usually from Liveview operation. It really depends on the context of your use - 1) liveview heating up the sensor, or 2) heat soaking, etc. Living in Arizona, I use to take my equipment to work October/November through April or May, leaving my bag in the truck so that I could shoot after work [I can't take them inside at all - as it's not allowed, cell phone cameras have to be disabled too]. I just turn the camera off and let it cool down for a while, and then they are all right. Once this happens - that's it for the rest of the year - till winter arrives... again.

Since you didn't get the small red thermometer, but rather the F--, I would think that the interface to the lens dropped out - for whatever reason. I would just re-seat the lens on the camera body, perhaps also remove the battery for a bit just so that the camera will fully reset. Then, try it again. If that does not work, try the eraser to the interface pins - being careful to not get anything inside the camera body. Also, try another lens as a test.

07-31-2016, 07:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I really don't know what happened. The day wasn't a hot day and I only took a couple of shots. After that, my camera was off in the bag for over an hour. So over heating couldn't have been the cause. I guess I'll just have to observe it. Weird huh?
07-31-2016, 03:06 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While at the fair my K-5 rear lcd went black even though the camera was on. The day was certainly warm (July) but not terribly hot. Powered off for a spell and it came back to life, to my relief. Hasn't happened again. One of those "things" I guess.
08-01-2016, 10:25 AM   #11

The same problem has happened to my K5 a couple of times. Apparently I accidentally pushed the lens release button and the lens moved in its mount. I just reseated the lens and normal operation returned. Nothing wrong with my camera, F-- is the indication that the aperture cannot be read.