Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2016, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mick2444 Quote
i will dive into the manual when i decide auto is not enough for me,its the only thing thats still in the packaging ha ha. i got the k511s after i looked at all the stunning pictures on this site this camera is capable of . the answers i have got after posting have given me confidence i made the right choice and some great settings to start shooting with. when i get the money and some experience i would really like the 15 mm Ltd lens for them wide shots when i find another hidden valley i have never been to . that lens is near the price i paid for the camera..
And so GAS begins... (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)
You'll look back one day and that DA 15 will seem like a cheap lens by comparison to what you are dropping on a big zoom like a D FA 70-200... .

Good luck. Hopefully GAS will be a minor blip in your progress. Some get sidetracked and others just have fun with it for entertainment value.

08-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
And so GAS begins... (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)
You'll look back one day and that DA 15 will seem like a cheap lens by comparison to what you are dropping on a big zoom like a D FA 70-200... .

Good luck. Hopefully GAS will be a minor blip in your progress. Some get sidetracked and others just have fun with it for entertainment value.
ah yes GAS, i have sufferd with this condition through many hobbys, enduro race riding ktm 250. sold last year too old. and dont heal like i used to.paramotoring 200cc engine on my back flying about, that hobby ended quick painful and expensive midlife crisis so the wife said.sold for scrap last year. the cr@p i have accumulated over the years to go with these hobbys lol the only cure for GAS is running out of money, im almost cured now. in england we call GAS,ALL THE GEAR AND NO IDEA ha ha

Last edited by mick2444; 08-02-2016 at 10:00 PM.
08-01-2016, 11:09 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

.... when i get the money and some experience i would really like the 15 mm Ltd lens for them wide shots when i find another hidden valley i have never been to . that lens is near the price i paid for the camera..
While you are saving up for the lens, here is what you can do in the mean time. Download for free Microsoft ICE, which will allow you to stitch multiple images together into a wide panorama. There are lots of video and written tutorials on stitched panoramas on the web. The simple approach is to overlap the images by 1/3 and try to keep the shots level.

08-02-2016, 01:53 AM   #34
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
While you are saving up for the lens, here is what you can do in the mean time. Download for free Microsoft ICE, which will allow you to stitch multiple images together into a wide panorama. There are lots of video and written tutorials on stitched panoramas on the web. The simple approach is to overlap the images by 1/3 and try to keep the shots level.

i will look into this thanks, i am hoping the memory card comes today. should i try and download new firmware to camera or leave well enough alone for now ?

08-02-2016, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For starting, I like using either P or Av mode. With P mode, the camera chooses your settings, but you have the option of changing them if you want -- turning the front dial lets you change into Tv mode where you control the shutter speed and turning the back dial bumps you into Av mode. Pushing the green button gets you back to your starting place. Understanding Exposure is a great starting place, as it gives you the basics of your exposure triangle.

As others have said, just take small bites -- work on one thing and once you have it figured out, you can play with another feature. You will be surprised, but in a few weeks, shooting with the K5 IIs will feel like you've been doing it forever.
08-02-2016, 03:26 AM   #36
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote

i just tried to download ICE it says after download,your computer does not support this . probably because its 9 years old running windows xp
08-02-2016, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i will look into this thanks, i am hoping the memory card comes today. should i try and download new firmware to camera or leave well enough alone for now ?
I'v had mine for 2+ years now, and just using the firmware that it came with. Actually, I didn't know that there was an update, never really checked. I should really look into that. I would use it as it is for at least a couple of weeks, just to make sure everything is working, then upgrade. The camera is really really a solid piece of work.

i just tried to download ICE it says after download,your computer does not support this . probably because its 9 years old running windows xp
About a year ago ICE had a massive upgrade. Before it was just fine, and in many respects I prefer the old version. The new version is just Microsoft's attempt to herd everyone towards windows 10 - in any and every way possible. It is impossible to find the old version of ICE anymore. The new version of LightRoom has a new stitching ability built in. There are also some other standalone stitching utilities that work quite well. I'll post more later, but right now I am running out the door. I have to get in to work as I have an appointment this morning - to submit my notice to retire. 20 working days left....

08-02-2016, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here are some additional stitching utilities that hopefully should work on Win XP
  • Hugin - It's one of the standards. Can be a bit difficult to use.
  • POS Pano Pro - I have never used it, but it looks like it's pretty straight forward.
  • AutoStitch - Essentially the originator of the free auto stitch software.
There are a lot of other commercial packages available too.

08-02-2016, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

No matter how complicated the manual looks, the camera is much simpler to use. The advice of easing yourself into it is the right way to go. Teach yourself the basics of the voperation, contour and how to use the menu and the info button. Just knowing where to look for something means you can experiment in the field. Make many mistakes, the more unique ones the more you are learning at least that is what I tell myself after shooting for over 40 years.

Thee K5iis is the dslr I use and it has years of use ahead of it. Use the lens you have for maybe a year before you buy another one, by that time you will know what you want, or least what will be the most useful to you. Yes the DA 15 is a lovely lens.

I also am a fan of the UK mysteries and watched Hinterland.

Enjoy your new tool (toy).
08-02-2016, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

Learn by doing. Keep the manual in the bathroom for casual reading.
08-02-2016, 09:01 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Green mode is your "point and shoot."
Actually "P" Mode is a better choice as it allows important changes to settings you will eventually want to make that can not be made while in Green Mode. Exposure compensation is an important feature to learn and practice - you will need to override the camera exposure reading from time to time. Oh, don't use spot-metering :-)
08-02-2016, 09:29 PM   #42
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
No matter how complicated the manual looks, the camera is much simpler to use. The advice of easing yourself into it is the right way to go. Teach yourself the basics of the voperation, contour and how to use the menu and the info button. Just knowing where to look for something means you can experiment in the field. Make many mistakes, the more unique ones the more you are learning at least that is what I tell myself after shooting for over 40 years.

Thee K5iis is the dslr I use and it has years of use ahead of it. Use the lens you have for maybe a year before you buy another one, by that time you will know what you want, or least what will be the most useful to you. Yes the DA 15 is a lovely lens.

I also am a fan of the UK mysteries and watched Hinterland.

Enjoy your new tool (toy).
this is indeed good advice, along with the other help i have recieved. i have even had private messages with advice and links to help me what a great site this is thank you mike
08-03-2016, 06:55 AM   #43
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i got the camera in 4 days from New york, it will be a week tomorrow since i ordred the memory card from birmingham uk 60 miles from where i live, still no sign of it.patience is a virtue .
08-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i got the camera in 4 days from New york, it will be a week tomorrow since i ordred the memory card from birmingham uk 60 miles from where i live, still no sign of it.patience is a virtue .
Go to the local store and buy a small one - you may overpay but you'll be taking pictures immediately.
08-03-2016, 09:38 AM   #45
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Go to the local store and buy a small one - you may overpay but you'll be taking pictures immediately.
i have been on to amazon and they contacted the delivery company, they said it will be here tomorrow,the driver has tried to find me twice. i must admit the house is difficult to find the sat nav switches off 1/2 a mile away. i will buy a small one from the town if it doesnt get here tomorrow