Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
dewolf

question about menu item progam line

I have some difficulty understanding the mechanics of the Program line setting in the Capture menu page 3. Auto, Normal, High Speed etc etc. What dial modes does this affect?
Also Expanded AF area, when used with AFC with select button set. Would this be a better setting for tracking ?

Pentax K5 IIs

Thanks for the clarity

DeWolf

10-31-2016, 05:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
P mode.

Yes, expanded AF can assist in tracking. I use it for birds in flight.
10-31-2016, 05:39 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
I have some difficulty understanding the mechanics of the Program line setting in the Capture menu page 3. Auto, Normal, High Speed etc etc. What dial modes does this affect?
Also Expanded AF area, when used with AFC with select button set. Would this be a better setting for tracking ?

Pentax K5 IIs

Thanks for the clarity

DeWolf
The program line selected will technically affect all semi-automatic modes if auto ISO is enabled, but it has the biggest significance in P mode.

Auto- more or less a black box, does what the camera thinks is best (probably the same as normal in most cases?)
Normal- a general-purpose mode with balanced shutter speed and aperture. Default on all entry-level models outside of a scene mode.
High-speed- prioritizes high shutter speeds, good for sports or potentially when hand-holding
Depth- prioritizes narrow apertures, good for landscapes
Bokeh- prioritizes wide apertures, good for portraits
MTF- prioritizes sharp apertures (i.e. F5.6-F8, works with FA lenses and newer only)

QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
Technically, yes, but with only 11 AF points it doesn't make much of a difference in practice. In expanded area AF, the camera starts by focusing on the selected point, but can "expand" its focus to one of the other points if the subject leaves the primary point.

Unfortunately, Pentax cameras are very eager to "expand" the focus to a different point without making any fine adjustments, which can result in failed tracking. Practice makes perfect here and you have to learn to understand the camera's behavior/limitations to get good results.

Compare this to auto mode in which the camera can initially focus on any of the 11 points.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-31-2016, 05:52 PM   #4
dewolf

So Adam, so MTF should work with the DA* 300 F4 then. and I could choose Fast for birds in flight am I correct ?. Also this works in AV mode as well as TV mode ? but works best in P? the manual is clear as milk sometimes lol.
what if i have the ISO set to a fixed rate ? will it then try to balance speed and aperture regardless ?
So as I understand it, Program line tweaks the setting you are using, for the purpose you are asking it for, such as fast, blur, etc.
And yes, I have noticed quite a few times that my Pentax preferred the cloud over the bird lol, This is all an attempt top increase keepers and stabilize tracking for action shots. Of late we have a Kingfisher, and she is lightning fast, much faster than the AF with the USM, alternatively I may try Catch in focus with her.

Appreciate the Birds in flight Paul, that's what I am going for, and the lens isnt being friendly about it sometimes lol.

11-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #5
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
P mode.

Yes, expanded AF can assist in tracking. I use it for birds in flight.
I didnt know that was the function or how to set it up. I tried it today on some Vultures that are always flying over my house, I guess I attract them, and it worked splendidly.

Il be excited to try it at the rookery after im able.
11-01-2016, 06:22 PM   #6
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The program line selected will technically affect all semi-automatic modes if auto ISO is enabled, but it has the biggest significance in P mode.

Auto- more or less a black box, does what the camera thinks is best (probably the same as normal in most cases?)
Normal- a general-purpose mode with balanced shutter speed and aperture. Default on all entry-level models outside of a scene mode.
High-speed- prioritizes high shutter speeds, good for sports or potentially when hand-holding
Depth- prioritizes narrow apertures, good for landscapes
Bokeh- prioritizes wide apertures, good for portraits
MTF- prioritizes sharp apertures (i.e. F5.6-F8, works with FA lenses and newer only)

Technically, yes, but with only 11 AF points it doesn't make much of a difference in practice. In expanded area AF, the camera starts by focusing on the selected point, but can "expand" its focus to one of the other points if the subject leaves the primary point.

Unfortunately, Pentax cameras are very eager to "expand" the focus to a different point without making any fine adjustments, which can result in failed tracking. Practice makes perfect here and you have to learn to understand the camera's behavior/limitations to get good results.

Compare this to auto mode in which the camera can initially focus on any of the 11 points.
Adam
I tried the MTF with Program mode dial settings and was pretty surprised to see how eell it worked for me. in P dial it adjusts the ISO just fine , keeping it down with lower apertures. Got some nice Vulture pics from the home. Thanks for the info