Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #16
Pentaxian

I got into digital because I got a job where I had to shoot digital, top of the line Nikon with an almost unlimited range of lenses that I could use. When it came time to buy my own camera I went to Pentax or perhaps I should say stayed with digital because that is all I shot with film and that is what my wife bought. I still shoot some 35mm film and actually have more film cameras now then when I needed them due to being given them. I still shoot film but mostly in medium and large formats. I am on my second digital camera the first being the K-r and now the K5IIs. You can continue to use and enjoy your K5 for a long time still as it is truly a great camera.

Yes I do shoot more images with digital than film and explore more but I love using my manual film cameras and still love the darkroom.. I am not one to do much post processing, after a shoot my images go into Lightroom, I cull the failures, correct the obvious blunders or images that need to be correct and then rename the images. A couple of times a year an image goes into Photoshop but I find that Lightroom is normally all I need to use. Some people end up really enjoying post processing and some will not do any at all. It is your choice.

Enjoy your K5, learn it well, take lots of images to really learn it and maybe you will then occasionally return to using the MX. I know that I used my K-r a lot more than I use my K5IIs just because it was new to me and I had lots more to learn about it. Its all about having fun.

01-17-2017, 04:25 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pichur Quote
After 5 years of soul searching, I have purchased a used K5.
Welcome to digital! My biggest problem when I got my K20D back in 2008 was my film mindset. Got it just before a trip to Egypt, and kept taking few, and very selective photos for a week after I got there before I finally realized all the shots I that I bypassed and could be taking. Sort of a "duh" moment. Especially nice is the ability to take a burst of an action moment and choose the best one. Or a sunset as it changes without worrying about the cost involved. I got the K-5 later, really enjoyed it. I think you will be pleasantly surprised after a bit of use. Just don't completely loose that film mindset when it comes to choosing good subject matter and composition!
01-17-2017, 09:28 PM   #18

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unlike "film" you will now capture/shoot 500 to get 1 good one...& even then, that 1 might be a throw away...
01-19-2017, 05:36 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rgknief60 Quote
Welcome to digital! My biggest problem when I got my K20D back in 2008 was my film mindset. Got it just before a trip to Egypt, and kept taking few, and very selective photos for a week after I got there before I finally realized all the shots I that I bypassed and could be taking. Sort of a "duh" moment. Especially nice is the ability to take a burst of an action moment and choose the best one. Or a sunset as it changes without worrying about the cost involved. I got the K-5 later, really enjoyed it. I think you will be pleasantly surprised after a bit of use. Just don't completely loose that film mindset when it comes to choosing good subject matter and composition!

This made me laugh! I am still quite selective as it is habit, but I will take a few more shots playing with exposure. This has helped me understand the response of the camera to the settings I give it. I really like the light meter, it seems to be quite accurate, or the ol' MX is getting weak?

Film is a fancy now and I don't develop anymore so it costs 15 bucks to develop a 24 role, prints are another fee. They don't even provide a contact sheet, just the negatives. Who can make a decision on what to print from that? I hate to go online as I really do support local businesses if it is an option, and it is an option now. Just darned expensive!

01-20-2017, 12:02 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pichur Quote
Film is a fancy now and I don't develop anymore so it costs 15 bucks to develop a 24 role, prints are another fee. They don't even provide a contact sheet, just the negatives. Who can make a decision on what to print from that? I hate to go online as I really do support local businesses if it is an option, and it is an option now. Just darned expensive!
Send it to Dwayne's Photo in Kansas. You can get a 36-exposure roll developed and with prints or scans for $9 (plus hipping). Or dev plus prints *and* scans for $12.