Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2016, 04:42 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Thank You Pentax

As some of you may know, I spent 5 years agonizing making a move from film to digital. I did so just this week with a used K5 and lens. I have done so as an experiment to see if I can adapt to digital before plunking down the big bucks for a full frame K1 next year. My first impressions:

1. Pentax really deserves kudos for making the camera super easy to use with fat fingers and no experience.
2. The menus are easily followed, and surprisingly intuitive with good prompts.
3. The K5 turns on as fast as I can wind the MX to a new frame, and there seems to be zero lag time noticed between shots, unlike the point and shoot my daughter has.
4. The K5 has heft to it and feels as durable as the good ol' MX.
5. Auto focus is as accurate as my eye and operates quickly, faster than I can manually focus with the MX. This is good.
6. The 18-55 DA lens is light, but seems to be solid. Time will tell if it can put up with long term use.
7. The grip is very well shaped. I didn't think it would compare to the film winder I have on the MX, but it is deep enough to allow a loose grip, and works well with my big mitts. Well designed.

Honestly I didn't think that the camera would be as nice as it is, but I have been pleasantly surprised. I also figured it would be a total hassle to learn digital, but the K5 makes it easy. Thank you, Pentax! I am looking forward to learning the digital vernacular and ways, and a K1 next year!

11-23-2016, 04:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With your film experience, you should do well once you get used to to technology. Some who start with digital unfortunately focus more on the technology than seeing the picture.
11-23-2016, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #3

I love my K5IIs too, very durable, she has gone through many occasion that will give a Canikon's user heart attack.
I will not give her up as long as she can work.
11-23-2016, 05:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Interesting comparison - I have non-huge, mitts with non-fat fingers and I went from the K-5 to the MX (or rather I acquired the MX after three or four years of the K-5). I have no winder, but love the ergonomics. If batteries became obsolete tomorrow but film did not, it's the smallest camera I have which has full functionality without power (the ME is slightly smaller, but will only shoot at 1/100 unpowered, while my M42 Pentax bodies are all significantly larger).

11-23-2016, 05:52 PM   #5
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Two advantages of coming from film: you instinctively compose more carefully, and manual focus is usually second-nature.

If you were a darkroom guy, the idea that the finished image depends on processing is also ingrained. If not, it's something you need to learn - even to the point of deliberately under-exposing your shots because you know you can bring them up in post-processing.

You also need to lose the habit of being parsimonious with your shooting! Exposure bracketing, focus stacking, spray-and-pray and all the rest.
11-23-2016, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I had two K-5 cameras. The K-5 was a solid step in technology, performance, build, and style. It provides excellent images and the control menu setup is user helpful. I now have a K-5IIS and a K-3II. They are the newer models, and they do show more advanced performance than their top of the line predecessor K-5, but it will always be remembered as a fine performer. After using the K-5 you will notice how reliable a camera it is, and if you obtain a K-1 in the future you will see the advanced level of image quality, features, and overall performance it can provide.
11-23-2016, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Two advantages of coming from film: you instinctively compose more carefully, and manual focus is usually second-nature.

If you were a darkroom guy, the idea that the finished image depends on processing is also ingrained. If not, it's something you need to learn - even to the point of deliberately under-exposing your shots because you know you can bring them up in post-processing.

You also need to lose the habit of being parsimonious with your shooting! Exposure bracketing, focus stacking, spray-and-pray and all the rest.

Frugality is ingrained in my personality. I can rub two nickels together and get a quarter! Coming from a family of 9, things were not wasted, especially film. My dad taught me to compose a picture properly and think about the light, textures, contrasts, shapes, etc. before taking the shot. He always said anyone can take a picture, but not just anyone can take a fine picture. He did help put himself through school as a photographer after the war so I valued his tutorials. Money was very scarce and never wasted in any form, and to this day I carry his advice with me daily.

That being said, I can see myself taking more risks and experimenting quite a bit more 'cause it ain't gonna cost me nothin'!

11-23-2016, 09:43 PM   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey you can let go a little and even throw some shots away!

Sounds like great guidance from your dad.
11-23-2016, 09:46 PM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
A few more observations for you all.
The manual is fairly well laid out, albeit, it one does not have a command of photographic terms it will seem confusing, but whomever created the manual did a fine job of it, and I found it fairly simple to follow. The point by point instructions are very helpful.
What I did not understand was that the camera is a camera, is a camera. The same functions, ie, aperture priority and shutter priority, etc. that the ME Super had, are also available on the K5. Not sure what I was thinking, but all my fears are gone. This is going to be a good journey.

Oh, I have it set to B&W and set for manual lens. Should be a good day tomorrow.
11-24-2016, 01:01 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pichur Quote
A few more observations for you all.
The manual is fairly well laid out, albeit, it one does not have a command of photographic terms it will seem confusing, but whomever created the manual did a fine job of it, and I found it fairly simple to follow. The point by point instructions are very helpful.
What I did not understand was that the camera is a camera, is a camera. The same functions, ie, aperture priority and shutter priority, etc. that the ME Super had, are also available on the K5. Not sure what I was thinking, but all my fears are gone. This is going to be a good journey.

Oh, I have it set to B&W and set for manual lens. Should be a good day tomorrow.
Haha, having gone from digital to film and back, I had that same realisation more than once 'they're all just light capturing boxes!' Where they may be some learning curve is post-processing. I recommend shooting in raw or raw+. You'll be capturing great shots from the start, I'm sure, and you may want to come back and reprocess them. That's much easier with raw.
11-24-2016, 07:14 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
I just realized that the previous owner only took 2125 pictures with this camera. Lots of miles left on it for sure. Today it is raining, so caution on how much exposure to the weather is advised. Took a lot of shots in the rain with the MX and it never seemed to affect it. I think the electronics are more fragile and I will need to be careful out there.

It almost feels like my first SLR, excitement in the new experience.
11-24-2016, 08:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I am not sure when it started, but all recent flagship bodies are weather sealed. I wouldn't take foolish risks with it, but they are made to be used in all weather and environmental conditions when combined with a weather sealed lens."
11-24-2016, 12:50 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pichur Quote
I just realized that the previous owner only took 2125 pictures with this camera. Lots of miles left on it for sure. Today it is raining, so caution on how much exposure to the weather is advised. Took a lot of shots in the rain with the MX and it never seemed to affect it. I think the electronics are more fragile and I will need to be careful out there.

It almost feels like my first SLR, excitement in the new experience.
These cameras are quite a bit tougher than you might think. I try to only take weathersealed lenses out into weather harsher than light rain. With the latter combination, I've taken my gear to misty waterfalls, through sandstorms and deserts, and rainstorms, snow and thunder. They're troopers.
11-29-2016, 10:41 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi pichur, my first SLR was an MX (still working 37 years later), the second was a K5, the third a K1. Pentax (or Hoya/Ricoh, to be honest) have not disappointed. When you get the K1, you will be amazed at the progress! Enjoy the ride!! :-)
11-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
phoebus, it looks like you and I are on a similar journey. So far the K5 has been a delight to use. I am learning to use the auto features, but still run manual most of the time. The thing I like most is the ability to take an image in B&W, then take it again in color just to see the difference and how the camera converts things between the two settings. I really do like this camera and am very happy with it. Looking forward to full frame as the 50mm lens doesn't have the same wide angle as it does on the MX. I do miss that.