Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2016, 11:07 AM   #1

Buying used k5 off ebay from Japan

Any one have experience with this type of transaction? I will be looking to purchase one and don't want to make a mistake.

12-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would strongly recommend the marketplace here over ebay. My experience on GreedBay is much more volitile than on the marketplace. I have gotten many more items that differ significantly from the claimed condition.

That said, the Japanese sellers seem no worse than any others.
12-28-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The Pentax Marketplace as was mentioned by UncleVanya, being U.S. based as you are, most likely would be somewhat easier to deal with. I have bought things on EBay from outside of the U.S, not necessarily Japan, that have sent me items that do not function as advertised, and have never heard from them again after contacting them about for example a defective item. I am not biased against origin, I just like the more localized type of transaction that may be easier to follow up.

Last edited by C_Jones; 12-28-2016 at 01:52 PM.
12-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have bought a couple of items from Japan via eBay because of permanent or long-term unavailability in Europe. So far: Pentax Q 06 lens, Pentax Q to K adapter tripod mount, Kenko New KDS Alt-Az Mount from three different dealers. I paid the extra amount for EMS shipping and tracking and all transactions went smoothly.

BUT remember you will have to take care yourself of import documentation and payment of VAT (plus maybe also - as I had to - an additional domestic post office handling fee) with your domestic Customs authority. In my case (DK) the domestic processing and release from Customs took longer than shipping from Japan.

12-28-2016, 08:56 PM   #5
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by mi2nc Quote
Any one have experience with this type of transaction? I will be looking to purchase one and don't want to make a mistake.
I've l had very good experiences with high rated Japanese resellers, FA 645 lenses and 645 film backs. Having spent time and done business in Japan, its what I would expect.
12-29-2016, 10:17 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a K-5 in awesome condition, with all originals (box, strap unused, battery charger, good battery, etc) don't use it since my K-3II. Make me a reasonable offer and it's yours. Wasn't thinking about selling but I don't really need it; seriously perfect condition. I'm in Minnesota, if that matters. Happy holidays!
01-01-2017, 06:33 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've bought photo gear from Japanese sellers on eBay for several years now, and have never been disappointed. There seem to be a high number of sellers, some of whom I have dealt with repeatedly, and with that kind of competition, their reputation is at stake with every sale. I'm also looking at a second Pentax digital body, one of the K-5 series, and I will probably end up buying from one of those sellers.