Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2017, 03:53 AM   #1

Kit 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Lens issue on K-5

Dear all

I've just upgraded from K-r to K-5. In one of the test shots, it looks like the K-r's lens kit doesn't work well with the K-5 body (the kit lens still works well with the K-r body). Specifically, there is a misty filter appears in the images, which I don't know why and what causes the effect (please see the attached shot).

I wonder if you could help me with this! Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-05-2017, 04:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Have you tried another lens on the K-5? If you get the same foggy effect with a different lens then it is likely something with the camera. I would expect if a lens takes sharp images on one camera, it should also take sharp images on another camera body. I have never seen this effect unless some sort of filter is being applied. Also, check your K-5 camera menu to see if any digital filters are being applied.
01-05-2017, 04:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Have you tried another lens on the K-5? If you get the same foggy effect with a different lens then it is likely something with the camera. I would expect if a lens takes sharp images on one camera, it should also take sharp images on another camera body. I have never seen this effect unless some sort of filter is being applied. Also, check your K-5 camera menu to see if any digital filters are being applied.
Hi jddwoods, thanks for your prompt reply. Other lenses worked fine on both K-r and K-5 and there were no filter settings in place. And it appears to me in the picture that it is not some sort of filter, it's more like a misty layer that coats the image. This just happens when I used the 18-55mm and K-5 combo. Not sure why...
01-05-2017, 04:44 AM   #4

Original Poster
Same setting on K-5 with other lens...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-05-2017, 04:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And all the lens elements are clean, no accidental fingerprint on back element etc?

Edit: Can you show us the same image taken with the K-r and 18-55?
01-05-2017, 05:12 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I guess you shot a few test shots from different angles and the one in question happened when some stray light entered the lens from the side, which can lower contrast. Camera shake or robot movement and shooting wide open could add to the overall soft effect. That's my theory at least
01-05-2017, 05:14 AM   #7
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I had 4 lenses with the same effect. It is hazing cause by the cement used to glue the elements together. My problematic lenses were F100 macro, DFA50 macro, DA18-55II and DAL18-55. I am sending the DFA50 macro in for element replacement. As for the rest, I sold them for parts.

01-05-2017, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Had you just come in from outside with a big change in temperature and swapped lenses ?
01-05-2017, 06:05 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
And all the lens elements are clean, no accidental fingerprint on back element etc?

Edit: Can you show us the same image taken with the K-r and 18-55?
Yes, they were clean. I'm certain about this as I did check that particularly carefully. Unfortunately, I was on a trip so I didn't take the K-r with me. When I returned home I checked with it and the lens worked fine.

---------- Post added 01-05-17 at 08:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Arvid Quote
I guess you shot a few test shots from different angles and the one in question happened when some stray light entered the lens from the side, which can lower contrast. Camera shake or robot movement and shooting wide open could add to the overall soft effect. That's my theory at least
I did many shots of different things. All came out hazing like that. I deleted all other misty pictures and kept this one so that I can ask you guys.

---------- Post added 01-05-17 at 08:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sbc Quote
I had 4 lenses with the same effect. It is hazing cause by the cement used to glue the elements together. My problematic lenses were F100 macro, DFA50 macro, DA18-55II and DAL18-55. I am sending the DFA50 macro in for element replacement. As for the rest, I sold them for parts.
Didn't they work properly with all camera bodies you have? In my case it worked with one, but didn't seem to get along with the other.

---------- Post added 01-05-17 at 08:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Had you just come in from outside with a big change in temperature and swapped lenses ?
Ah ha, this might be the case. This picture was taken in Bangkok. It was super hot outside and freezing inside the exhibition hall. I'm curious! When I checked the lens I didn't see any condensation, the temperature change could still create that effect without any indication? And if that is the case, how do you fix it?
01-05-2017, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lushdimple Quote
Ah ha, this might be the case. This picture was taken in Bangkok. It was super hot outside and freezing inside the exhibition hall. I'm curious! When I checked the lens I didn't see any condensation, the temperature change could still create that effect without any indication? And if that is the case, how do you fix it?
The easiest way is just to leave it in a dry room with the caps off. You can try leaving it in a bowl of rice to help absorb the moisture.
01-06-2017, 04:32 AM   #11

Original Poster
Many thanks you guys for all your comments/ suggestions. They're very helpful!