Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2017, 06:55 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-5 Manufacture Date Conundrum

Hello All,

I just received a K-5 from an overseas seller, it works beautifully and looks absolutely pristine. Out of curiosity I decided to check the shutter count and date of manufacture from the link provided here at PF. To my surprise, the shutter count was 128 (after shooting around 20+ frames or so), which could be feasible if the camera was a store return or overstock, but the manufacture date was 09/09/2016...?

If I'm correct, the K-5 was replaced by the K-5ii in 2012. Were some still made and sold after that in limited numbers as a lower cost option? Would a firmware update reset the date (mine is version 1.16)? How would it be possible to change the date otherwise? If it matters, the serial number is 4005241... Any ideas?

No big deal, the camera works great... just curious I suppose.

Thanks, Allan

01-14-2017, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only thing that would reset the date would be a main board replacement, which may have been carried out at a service center.

Could be someone fixed a broken camera and subsequently sold it

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-14-2017, 07:31 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interesting, thanks. I purchased it from a seller in Japan, one of several whom I've always bought from with total confidence. That might also account for it's mint appearance.

Cheers, Allan
01-14-2017, 10:05 PM   #4

I have had a main board replaced on my K3 and it zeroed the shutter count.

01-15-2017, 06:34 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rr1736 Quote
I have had a main board replaced on my K3 and it zeroed the shutter count.
Looks more and more like that was the story with mine. Just curious, what happened with your K-3 that caused you to have the main board replaced?

Cheers, Allan
01-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #6

I had the misfortune to have my cat knock the camera off the fireplace mantel needless to say I do not set it up their anymore.
01-16-2017, 07:30 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh my... I guess it goes to show although these cameras are tough, they're not indestructible!

01-17-2017, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rr1736 Quote
I had the misfortune to have my cat knock the camera off the fireplace mantel needless to say I do not set it up their anymore.
One always needs to be careful of where they set their cat.

Since we no longer have our two dogs and three cats we have found ourselves getting sloppy of where we leave things. We found this out on Christmas Eve when we had a quiet well behaved dog visit us.