Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #1

Moon colour cast

I use a K5 and a Sony HX90V ( a small compact with 30X zoom ). Tried to take pictures of full moon on the Pentax always showed a sort of orange cast until I used B/W setting whereas the Sony showed it as it was. With the Sony I used manual and Auto settings and got a fair result. I tried altering every parameter on the DSLR with the same result a sort of light orange tinge. I know i could tweak the Custom Image Settings but surely what I see in the viewfinder or on the lcd screen should be what I get for an image? Is my camera faulty?

10-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by snapperit Quote
I tried altering every parameter on the DSLR...
What did you try changing? Sounds like a simple white balance issue.
10-06-2017, 10:39 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What WB setting were you using ? btw "black and white" is not a WB setting
10-06-2017, 11:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If the moon was anywhere near the horizon, an orange cast would be the correct color. How did it look compared to what your eyes saw?

10-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
My eyes saw it as shades of grey the pentax live view saw it as shades of grey and so did the Sony .Its only when I took a shot the resultant image was tinged orange The moon was high in the sky. The only way I could get what looked to me the best image was to use the B/W setting. The most annoying is that the compact camera seemed to get it right first time. Like I said I could alter and use a custom made setting but I think what you see in the sky and on the live view screen should be the same as the image. If it isn't then this cast is affecting every photo I take only I don't obviously see it because it is so faint and only becomes apparent in special circumstances. On TV tonight they showed some images that people had taken of last nights Harvest moon some were just like mine tinged and others were shades of grey???
10-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snapperit Quote
My eyes saw it as shades of grey the pentax live view saw it as shades of grey and so did the Sony .Its only when I took a shot the resultant image was tinged orange The moon was high in the sky. The only way I could get what looked to me the best image was to use the B/W setting. The most annoying is that the compact camera seemed to get it right first time. Like I said I could alter and use a custom made setting but I think what you see in the sky and on the live view screen should be the same as the image. If it isn't then this cast is affecting every photo I take only I don't obviously see it because it is so faint and only becomes apparent in special circumstances. On TV tonight they showed some images that people had taken of last nights Harvest moon some were just like mine tinged and others were shades of grey???
Again, it just sounds like you didn't use the proper white balance setting.
10-06-2017, 03:19 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Again, it just sounds like you didn't use the proper white balance setting.
Cheers,
I tried auto,Cloudy,Shade and daylight. Cloudy tonight but at the next opportunity there are manual white balance settings or use jpeg and apply digital filters.There are lots I can do to correct it and maybe it's an extreme type of photo that I will have to set up manually after a lot of experimentation unless someone on the forum has already gone through this of course??

10-06-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Set wb to either fluorescent W or fluorescent L. That will cut down on the orange/yellow hues a bit. L moreso than W. I use both settings to cut down on that orange streetlamp glow when I take pics at night.
10-06-2017, 07:00 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For the "correct" color as far as the camera is concerned, use daylight white balance. After all, the moon is being illuminated by the sun (=daylight)! If you get orange tinges, either the moon is at rather low elevation or there is some intervening (local atmosphere) haze, such as dust, smoke, or smog. (Or there is something wrong with your camera!!)