Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #1

Is there a way to calibrate the electronic level?

Is there a procedure for calibrating the electronic level?
I will have to check mine with a real level, but it just seems
to be off to me.

11-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're not running the latest firmware, try updating it as early versions in the K-5 were buggy.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-14-2017, 01:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
Ok, after trying a different search, I've read that the electronic level is not
able to be user calibrated.

So, if the level is off, does that mean that horizon correction will not be accurate?
11-14-2017, 01:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Since Pentax levels are calibrated in Japan, depending on where you are located in planet earth, the horizontal may not be the same.

11-14-2017, 02:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeryst Quote
So, if the level is off, does that mean that horizon correction will not be accurate?
That has been my experience.

With horizon correction turned on, put the camera on a tripod and trigger several shots with the self timer or a remote. My experience was a different tilt to the horizon on each shot.

My current practice is to check the horizon in live view using the grid (when using a tripod)
11-14-2017, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Since Pentax levels are calibrated in Japan, depending on where you are located in planet earth, the horizontal may not be the same.
Destructive interference of gravity waves...I suspect the HAARP array.

Steve
11-14-2017, 02:52 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
My current practice is to check the horizon in live view using the grid (when using a tripod)
That is easy for you to say. I have been to Saskatoon and while you have tons of apparently straight and level horizon to reference, many of the rest of us are not so fortunate.

Steve

11-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Putting the serious guy hat back on...how much precision is it reasonable to expect from a level with a very limited baseline? The other question is how well aligned is the level sensor to both the chassis and the image sensor state? The image sensor, after all, is mag-lev suspended.

Steve

(...sometimes uses the level indicator in live view...never uses the horizon correction feature. Is the latter even available for RAW shooting?)
11-14-2017, 03:14 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Putting the serious guy hat back on...how much precision is it reasonable to expect from a level with a very limited baseline? The other question is how well aligned is the level sensor to both the chassis and the image sensor state? The image sensor, after all, is mag-lev suspended.

Steve

(...sometimes uses the level indicator in live view...never uses the horizon correction feature. Is the latter even available for RAW shooting?)
Dumb me...I should have done a bit of basic look-see before commenting. The horizon correction feature is an extension of the IBIS system, so one would expect tight integration between the level sensors and IBIS with the latter polling the former. Poor calibration of the sensors would effect both the level display and horizon correction. Bad algorithms for either might introduce imprecision and/or bias independently for each feature.

Steve
11-14-2017, 10:20 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
With horizon correction turned on, put the camera on a tripod and trigger several shots with the self timer or a remote. My experience was a different tilt to the horizon on each shot.
I gave that a try with my K-3 with a sequence of ten shots. All ten were identical. I also checked the live view level indicators against my carpenter's level. They agreed and I am happy

Steve
01-23-2018, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve

I use level indicator almost every time. Before it was a pain when the water in a lake should drain away in one direction.