Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2017, 05:52 AM   #1

Can I use the Digital Camera Utility 5 with my K-5

Hi,

I've just bought my first Pentax....upgrade from Sony point and shoot to second hand K-5.

Lots to learn about....I'm sure I'll have a few questions to ask you knowledgeable folk.

My first question one is: Can I use the Digital Camera Utility 5 with my K-5 or do I have to stick with version 4 which is supplied on the CD with the camera.

V.5 looks a bit easier to use (I'm trying out shooting with RAW) than the V.4.

The reason I ask is that on the Pentax software update page the V.4 is for K-5 (and a a few others of similar age) and V.5 is reserved for newer models. Are both versions suitable for my K-5?

Thanks

Jon

11-15-2017, 06:14 AM   #2

DCU so far has been backwards compatible with all Pentax DSLRs. There was a brief moment when one 5.x release would not support PEFs from the Kr (I think) or earlier. That was fixed quickly by Ricoh. This is documented in the release notes.

I use the latest version with my Pentax K10D PEF files with no problem at all. One advantage would be you get later lens correction data along with the update.
11-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, I was hoping that would be the answer.

Cheers

Jon
11-15-2017, 05:36 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would also think that if you set the camera to save the files in the .DNG format versus .PEF, you'll have greater compatibility with other software. Since you mention you are just rolling your sleeves up on this, I'll give a two second overview in case you don't know this already. The DNG format is a "standard" for RAW files by Adobe. The PEF format is Pentax's format for RAW files. In theory, they should contain the same information and give the same results. The caveat is not all software recognizes PEF formats, so setting the camera to save in DNG is often perceived as more compatible. Having said that though, I've had software that needed an update to read the DNG files produced by my K1, so just be aware of that. And a last thought is to work some with the DCU, and then also check out some other software - most vendors give 30 day trial versions. You'll find all the basics with the DCU, but as you progress, you'll find there is a lot out there you can do. I do not purport to be an expert on this at all, but after a year and half of fiddling with several programs, I can say that shooting in RAW and learning what you can do in post processing is a valuable tool. Hope this helps.

11-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hi and thanks,

My plan was to stick with .PEF (only because the K-5 defaults to it), well, that was until I started to read about the various RAW file formats.

Is there a good reason to stick with .PEF?
Do most seasoned Pentaxians use .DNG?
I'll probably stick with DCU 5 in the short term. Will it handle both file formats the same?

So many questions...

Cheers

Jon
11-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

most welcome

I don't think there's any reason to stick with PEF, but I also don't think it's really necessary to switch away either. Hopefully some others will chime in, but I think you're OK either way - if you ran into an issue, PEF can be converted to DNG with a free utility from Adobe - ACR - Adobe Camera RAW:

Adobe Camera Raw

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows

DCU will handle the files the same, and for that matter, all RAW software that can read PEF files should produce the same result as if the file had been saved as a DNG.
11-16-2017, 09:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jonthechippy Quote
Is there a good reason to stick with .PEF? Do most seasoned Pentaxians use .DNG?
Hi Jon,

I think it comes down to the software you use, and how long you want the data to last. I own a K-5, and all the software packages I use "know" about the K-5 PEF format.

I set my K-1 to DNG because my Photoshop CS6 does not recognize the K-1's PEF format, and Adobe stopped providing updates for the software. It is time and space consuming to shoot PEF, then use the Adobe converter so I can process the files with CS6. I shot a couple hundred GB in the PEF format, and regret it now. Newer versions of the software recognize the K-1's PEF files, but I've not upgraded as I personally don't like to rent software. The model works great for others.

The only other reason I can think of to shoot in DNG is data rot. I have document files from the 90's that do not open properly with the software I use today. If your relatives want to view your pictures 30-50 years from now, there is a better chance (but no guarantee) that they will be able to do so if you save in DNG. This does not even address the "hardware rot" issue!

Cheers!

Roger

Last edited by rgknief60; 11-16-2017 at 09:07 PM.
11-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rgknief60 Quote
Hi Jon,

I think it comes down to the software you use, and how long you want the data to last. I own a K-5, and all the software packages I use "know" about the K-5 PEF format.

I set my K-1 to DNG because my Photoshop CS6 does not recognize the K-1's PEF format, and Adobe stopped providing updates for the software. It is time and space consuming to shoot PEF, then use the Adobe converter so I can process the files with CS6. I shot a couple hundred GB in the PEF format, and regret it now. Newer versions of the software recognize the K-1's PEF files, but I've not upgraded as I personally don't like to rent software. The model works great for others.

The only other reason I can think of to shoot in DNG is data rot. I have document files from the 90's that do not open properly with the software I use today. If your relatives want to view your pictures 30-50 years from now, there is a better chance (but no guarantee) that they will be able to do so if you save in DNG. This does not even address the "hardware rot" issue!

Cheers!

Roger
Hi and thanks,

Ok, decision made, I'll go with DNG. K-5 is now set!

Cheers

Jon