Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2017, 06:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Checking trigger voltage | DPanswers
Voltages | DPanswers
Here's a couple of info sources to give you an idea on how to check voltage yourself and a partial list of trigger voltages. I have used it to Check voltage on Sunpak 622 , 422 and an old soligar all of which I have used on my K3
I now use them mostly as slaves with photo cell triggers.

12-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your Shutter speed usually defaults to 1/180s. You can go slower if you want to capture some ambient light but be careful if its hand held. At full power it will probably best left at 1/180s.
Start with ISO 400 and f5.6 on any manual lens. This should get you a starting point on exposure if you do not want to do the GN math. (Use exposure graphs and don't trust the LCD to check for exposure correctness)
If you invest some time in learning and understanding the GN math it may eventually become obvious for you to select the correct F number and ISO based on the subject distance (given flash is firing at full power at each time). Once you get conversant with the GN math the correct f stops and ISO magically pop in your mind and then its a smooth sail with any darn manual flash (as long as your know the GN of that flash).

Or use trial and error method with that ISO and F stop that I mentioned earlier (never hurts in digital age as you are not wasting film).
12-06-2017, 11:36 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The Sunpak 422D or 433D are good flashes
I'll second the 433D's, they used to be $20-30 on fleabay and were my primary flashes for years. Make sure you get one with manual power settings. Some of the dedicated 433AF models have no manual settings and you'll be back to firing at full power only on a pentax.

I've since converted to used Nikon models as they have a few features I use (especially finer and lower power settings), but the sunpaks can be fantastic value.
12-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
Your Shutter speed usually defaults to 1/180s.
This is only true when in X mode or if a dedicated Pentax flash (or 3rd-party Pentax compatible) is detected. Otherwise, the sync simply does not fire above 1/180s.

Steve

12-06-2017, 01:00 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeryst Quote
Any recommendations on a flash?
QuoteOriginally posted by jeryst Quote
I read somewhere that older flash units can damage newer DSLR's.
Does anyone know if that is true?
As noted above, many vintage flashes have trigger voltage that are incompatible with modern cameras. My recommendation for use with non-A lenses would be to purchase a modern flash or a vintage Pentax-brand flash having provision for so-called auto-thyristor exposure control. That feature uses a detector on the flash to moderate the flash duration. I own and can recommend the AF280T. It is easy to use in M or X modes and also provides a fairly high level of dedication with your K-5IIs. My review on this site includes usage with recent Pentax dSLRs...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/pentax-af-280t.html#review2981

Steve
12-06-2017, 03:34 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I have long considered getting one of these, but I don't do enough deliberate flash photography on static subjects to justify it - and when I do, it's almost always with at least an A series lens (or equivalent). When I do use my flash, it's mostly on dynamic subjects (kids, dogs) that aren't posing and need to be shot on the fly, usually outdoors where bounce is pretty much impossible.

On other occasions when I need a meter, it's for my S1a... and then my Sekonic Studio Deluxe is well up to the task and has just as little demand for batteries as the camera it's reading for.
The Studio Deluxe is a dynamite meter. I used an L-398 back in the late 80's and 1990's. Parted with the meter when I went digital and realized that was a mistake. When I went to replace it I got the L-308S because it was the same cost as a Studio Deluxe but worked with flash too. Enjoy and treasure that L-398 Studio Deluxe - it's a gem!
12-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is only true when in X mode or if a dedicated Pentax flash (or 3rd-party Pentax compatible) is detected. Otherwise, the sync simply does not fire above 1/180s.

Steve
Yes. That is correct. And this is to prevent curtains to show up in the exposed image.

12-07-2017, 10:30 AM   #23
Veteran Member

The original AF-540FGZ is a versatile accessory flash that would suit your purposes well .....it has both P-TTL (to use with autofocus lenses) and A "Auto" mode (to use with Manual focus lenses). I think perhaps the original AF-360FGZ does also, however the bounce and swivel capabilities on the "540" version are superior, so well worth the extra cost. There should still be good copies around going secondhand.

The built in flash on the K5 is P-TTL only. The K3 was the first to introduce Manual flash mode for the built-in, which would also prove to be a handy feature for use with Manual focus lenses.