Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-07-2018, 08:23 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K 5 locked up

My K 5 has locked up. The train of events: Saturday night I checked the charge state of the battery in the body and in the hand grip. Both good. The memory card had 91 RAW images remaining. Sunday morning I went to a water fowl rookery in Port Royal, SC to shoot the birds. Mounted my Sigma 135 - 400 zoom to my tripod, mounted the K 5 to the lens, plugged in a wired remote release, and turned the camera on.

The top screen showed no response to changing shutter or aperture, no change in ISO. I turned the camera off, then back on. Still no response to the wheels. I tried an exposure, and the camera locked up. Mirror locked up, top screen blank. Nothing.

Back at our son's house I removed both batteries, and reinserted them. The mirror returned, I tried a shot. Mirror lockup, no top screen, nothing happening. Home here in Georgia I've done the battery thing again, but no luck.

Looking at the pdf of the manual the index mentions "Reset," but that of course requires access to the Menu. Anyone have any ideas, or do I now have a paperweight. I suspect that a repair would cost more than the cost of a second hand K 5.

05-07-2018, 01:33 PM   #2

Wild guess on my part, but does the camera return to normal if you set the mode dial to green (auto)?
05-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spacedave Quote
Wild guess on my part, but does the camera return to normal if you set the mode dial to green (auto)?
Nope! Nothing on the Mode Dial makes any difference.
05-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
My K 5 has locked up. The train of events: Saturday night I checked the charge state of the battery in the body and in the hand grip. Both good. The memory card had 91 RAW images remaining. Sunday morning I went to a water fowl rookery in Port Royal, SC to shoot the birds. Mounted my Sigma 135 - 400 zoom to my tripod, mounted the K 5 to the lens, plugged in a wired remote release, and turned the camera on.

The top screen showed no response to changing shutter or aperture, no change in ISO. I turned the camera off, then back on. Still no response to the wheels. I tried an exposure, and the camera locked up. Mirror locked up, top screen blank. Nothing.

Back at our son's house I removed both batteries, and reinserted them. The mirror returned, I tried a shot. Mirror lockup, no top screen, nothing happening. Home here in Georgia I've done the battery thing again, but no luck.

Looking at the pdf of the manual the index mentions "Reset," but that of course requires access to the Menu. Anyone have any ideas, or do I now have a paperweight. I suspect that a repair would cost more than the cost of a second hand K 5.
What happens if you remove the battery, remove the lens, re-insert a good fully charged battery and fire it up with no lens attached?

05-10-2018, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
On a suggestion from another Forum I loaded AAs into the battery grip and all is fine, which strongly suggests that the two Wasabi batteries, which I bought in August 2012, had failed. Many thanks for the help from all of you!
05-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to hear you have it sorted!
08-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Good see that is working again. I bought DSTE Battery's years ago and they still work great in my K5.