Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #1

K-5 IIs . . . stretching battery life

Dpreview specs on the K-5 IIs says battery life is 980 shots, which is way better than my previous cameras.

If you turn off the rear screen so that it is black except for reviewing shots, does that extend battery life beyond 980?

If so, has anybody tried it and what kind of results have you gotten?

Cheers, Jock

08-08-2018, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jock Elliott Quote
Dpreview specs on the K-5 IIs says battery life is 980 shots, which is way better than my previous cameras.

If you turn off the rear screen so that it is black except for reviewing shots, does that extend battery life beyond 980?

If so, has anybody tried it and what kind of results have you gotten?

Cheers, Jock
I've never done any sort of measuring. But definitely if you minimize your screen use, you will get plenty more photos. Using live view or having the screen otherwise on all the time is much more demanding. How many more shots you will get? I don't know. But you will definitely get more.

I have my preview set to 1 second and the highlight/shadow alert on.. I take a quick peek if I have to and move on.
08-08-2018, 04:33 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nothing scientific but last year I spent 30 days in Europe with only one battery and a cheap non-factory one at that. Over 5,500 shots with the K5 IIs. Not once did I miss a shot because of a dead battery. 309 in one day was the maximum I managed. It did take a fair bit of discipline at times using all the techniques used by khardur above. Being in a group, other people liked to see what I was doing so I did have to use the screen a bit more that I would have normally. Many days I was in the red but turning off the camera each time seemed to give a little more battery, on the indicator at least.
08-08-2018, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never really paid attention to the battery life on my K-5. I shoot nearly ever day and the battery seems to last about a week between charges. Last month I went on a trip for a week, and I had forgotten my charger. Even then, the battery lasted the duration of the trip. I seldom use Live View, and I have only a few second for review after each shot, and I have the rear screen at the lowest power setting.

08-08-2018, 09:01 PM - 1 Like   #5
Brooke Meyer

Routinely got 2 to 3k out of a battery on my K5IIs bodies during dance performances. Always kept a spare battery in my pocket for quick change in in the dark, just in case. My K3II bodies use the identical battery up faster, maybe 2k+ but not as long as the K5IIs. In any case, keep a spare charged battery with you and it's a non issue.
08-09-2018, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Keep it warm...somehow! Batteries don't like being cold.
08-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Routinely got 2 to 3k out of a battery on my K5IIs bodies during dance performances. Always kept a spare battery in my pocket for quick change in in the dark, just in case. My K3II bodies use the identical battery up faster, maybe 2k+ but not as long as the K5IIs. In any case, keep a spare charged battery with you and it's a non issue.
I use the screen for reviews and some bad image dumping, continuous AF all the way, bursts, ISO up to 800, usually around 320, and 2k per full battery is normal.
I do however switch battery when it drops 1 to minimise battery degradation, and also the camera seems to loose burst speed after that.
Just beware, when the battery meter drops 1, you're way past 1/2 charge.

08-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #8

K-5 has pretty good battery performance. I almost don't want to change to K-1