Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2018, 04:53 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 AF point mode question

how do I change the auto 5 to one?

10-10-2018, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I think the K5 has 9 focus points, and the points are selected with the little lever on the back of the camera. there are 3 positions, Auto, Sel(ect) and Single Centre (the one dot). So switch this lever to the one dot position for centre only, or set "Sel" then you use the 4 way controller to choose the active point you want.
10-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
That switch is set for one spot. But on the info screen it is set as auto 5. Is there a way to change that or is that the only options I have? It's either 5 or 11.
10-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hopefully a K5 user will jump in to help, as this sounds like an additional mode over what my K7 has .... I thought they were the same but perhaps not.....

10-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
how do I change the auto 5 to one?
As McGregni has said, it's the little lever on the back to select single, select or or multiple AF points. But, you have to delve into the Menu to change from 11 points AF to 5 points AF.
So, it's possible to have the centre point only, any other of the 11 points only, or 5 AF points, or 11 AF points.

See:
Attached Images

10-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
So there is no way to change that in the Info screen that says Auto 5 points? Does that mean it's focusing all 5 points or is it actually just focusing at center point as I have it set with the selector on the switch?

PM sent to you Mark.
10-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So there is no way to change that in the Info screen that says Auto 5 points? Does that mean it's focusing all 5 points or is it actually just focusing at center point as I have it set with the selector on the switch?

PM sent to you Mark.
If you change the menu, then the info screen will say 11 points / 5 points, depending on the selection. I can't remember if you can change it directly from the info screen, but you can try.

So, as noted prior, it will either focus with 1 centre point, or one point you select, or 5 points, or 11 points, depending on where you have the switch set and depending on whether you chose 5 or 11 in the menu.

Am I understanding that you see it saying 5 points in the info scree, even when it's set to single AF point? I've never noticed that but could check later.

10-10-2018, 05:10 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Am I understanding that you see it saying 5 points in the info screen, even when it's set to single AF point? I've never noticed that but could check later.
Yes, in the info screen it shows "auto 5" points even though the selector is set to single point focus. When looking through the viewfinder I only see one red point that shows where it's focusing. But sometimes, it seems to move around. Like it's not focusing at the center of the viewfinder.
10-11-2018, 01:05 AM   #9

My K-5 does the same: info screen is showing "auto 5" even when selector is set to single point focus. But the focus point is not moving around. It's always focusing in center unless I'm in green mode. In green mode it's ignoring the focus selector setting.
10-11-2018, 01:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi, I shoot with the k-5 and I see your confusion. The menu will only let you select 5 or 11 points there is no other option. But the way it works is, the switch over rides the menu. When you set the switch to single point focus it will only focus to that single center point.

The reason for the 5 and 11 point options in the menu is for when you want to select a focus point, like when you’re in live view and set up on a tripod and you want to focus on a different point without changing your composition. You can switch to select mode and have 5 or 11 different points to focus on depending on what you have selected in the menu.

I hope this helps.

Al

Last edited by aacjr; 10-11-2018 at 01:52 AM.
10-11-2018, 03:43 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smartinsen Quote
My K-5 does the same: info screen is showing "auto 5" even when selector is set to single point focus. But the focus point is not moving around. It's always focusing in center unless I'm in green mode. In green mode it's ignoring the focus selector setting.
Thanks for you input. I never shoot in green mode, it's either M or TAV mode. Mostly, in M mode.

QuoteOriginally posted by aacjr Quote
Hi, I shoot with the k-5 and I see your confusion. The menu will only let you select 5 or 11 points there is no other option. But the way it works is, the switch over rides the menu. When you set the switch to single point focus it will only focus to that single center point.The reason for the 5 and 11 point options in the menu is for when you want to select a focus point, like when you’re in live view and set up on a tripod and you want to focus on a different point without changing your composition. You can switch to select mode and have 5 or 11 different points to focus on depending on what you have selected in the menu.I hope this helps.Al
It helped a lot. I don't use live view at all. So I'll just ignore those 5 or 11 point options and keep shooting my way. Single point focus, and M mode, or TAV mode. I bought the K-5 used and thought there might be something wrong with it, is why I asked the question, now i see its normal behavior, I can rest easy my used camera is fine. Thank you!
10-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, in the info screen it shows "auto 5" points even though the selector is set to single point focus. When looking through the viewfinder I only see one red point that shows where it's focusing. But sometimes, it seems to move around. Like it's not focusing at the center of the viewfinder.
OK, I"ve checked mine too.

When the rear selector switch is on single point, the info screen still shows Auto 11 or Auto 5 points, depending on which it's set to. You can change that 5 / 11 setting with the rear wheel when in the INFO screen.
But, when the switch is single point, it ignores those 5/11 settings.

When the switch is set to SEL (single point select) it acts the same as above, but you can move the point about by pressing the OK button and then the four way controller buttons.

It's only when you set it the switch on AUTO that it will use the 5 or 11 points.
10-11-2018, 10:32 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
When the switch is set to SEL (single point select) it acts the same as above, but you can move the point about by pressing the OK button and then the four way controller buttons.
Thanks for that Mark. I wasn't sure what or how to do that, but now with your guidance I know.

I bought the ebook but I didn't find anything in it, that told me anything about any of this info I gathered in this thread.

Don't go away, I may be back with more questions for you K-5 owners and users.
10-12-2018, 12:43 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for that Mark. I wasn't sure what or how to do that, but now with your guidance I know.

I bought the ebook but I didn't find anything in it, that told me anything about any of this info I gathered in this thread.

Don't go away, I may be back with more questions for you K-5 owners and users.
No worries M!

Feel free to shout out anytime.
02-12-2019, 01:07 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Feel free to shout out anytime.
Now I have another problem. i want to send this camera to my other granddaughter, but, I can't get it to go into P mode. When I press the button on the of the selector to change modes and select P, the screen shows AV mode. I've always used it in either M or TAV, but though I can get to go in M mode, I now can't get it to even go in TAV mode. I've done two resets, nothing changed. The battery is now out of it since about 10am this morning. I'm hoping this will fix it. But what happens if my granddaughter gets the camera and it happens to her at some point in time, is she going to know how to change it so it will work right for her too?