Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2018, 09:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

D-LI90 Battery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I just purchased a used K5 from KEH a few weeks ago. I am trying to buy an extra battery or two.

I found an eBay seller that had them and I ordered two. Unfortunately, their description was wrong. What they were selling was the D-Li109, not the D-Li90. They were pretty good about the return, though.

So, now I'm looking at eBay again, and I'm confused. My camera came with a battery labelled as a genuine Pentax D-Li90.

The confusing part is that my battery has four electrical contacts, while all the batteries being sold on eBay seem to have only three contacts. This includes a couple that are labelled (in the pictures, not just the description) as Hoya Corporation D-Li90.

I know that the K7, which preceded the k5 by a year or two, also uses the D-Li90. I don't remember exactly when Ricoh bought Pentax. Were the K7's sold under the Hoya ownership?

Did Pentax make a running change from three contacts to four?

Will the three-contact batteries work in my K5? I looked inside the battery compartment on the camera and it looks like there are only two contacts, at positions 1 and 3.

This may seem like a silly question, but I just got burned by one eBay seller, selling the wrong battery. I don't want to get burned again.

Typical eBay battery: 2300mAh Camera Battery For Pentax D-LI90 K-5 K-5II K-5IIs K-7 K-01 K-3 645D 645Z 747180916478 | eBay

My Battery:

Attached Images

11-22-2018, 09:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 3 and 4 contact batteries are interchangeable as far as cameras and chargers are concerned. FWIW, I recently ordered a new (Ricoh packaged) D-Li90 from B&H, with a date code of 201804, and it had 3 contacts.

I believe the "P" in the model number denotes the presence of the 4th contact.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-22-2018, 09:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks.

I wonder what the fourth contact is for? If a different camera used it, and the owner bought one of those from eBay, it might not work.
11-22-2018, 10:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I have K-01 , K-5IIs , K-3 , K-3II and K-1.
Most my batteries have 3 contacts but some have 4.
I keep swapping them around without any issues so fourth contact has no purpose to do exist.
Chargers and grips have three contacts only, camera bodies have just two contacts.

11-23-2018, 01:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The fourth contact, as I recall, has something to do with monitoring the changing of the battery. Japanese law required them to make the change.

Regards

Chris
11-23-2018, 04:29 AM   #6
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Just be aware that those cheap batteries can be a bit hit and miss. I have some that are ok (they do deteriorate more quickly than the originals over time, but are still usable after a couple of years), and one that I used exactly once before it died completely.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy these batteries, just that not all of them are good.
11-23-2018, 08:10 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I just purchased a used K5 from KEH a few weeks ago. I am trying to buy an extra battery or two.

I found an eBay seller that had them and I ordered two. Unfortunately, their description was wrong. What they were selling was the D-Li109, not the D-Li90. They were pretty good about the return, though.

So, now I'm looking at eBay again, and I'm confused. My camera came with a battery labelled as a genuine Pentax D-Li90.

The confusing part is that my battery has four electrical contacts, while all the batteries being sold on eBay seem to have only three contacts. This includes a couple that are labelled (in the pictures, not just the description) as Hoya Corporation D-Li90.

I know that the K7, which preceded the k5 by a year or two, also uses the D-Li90. I don't remember exactly when Ricoh bought Pentax. Were the K7's sold under the Hoya ownership?

Did Pentax make a running change from three contacts to four?

Will the three-contact batteries work in my K5? I looked inside the battery compartment on the camera and it looks like there are only two contacts, at positions 1 and 3.

This may seem like a silly question, but I just got burned by one eBay seller, selling the wrong battery. I don't want to get burned again.

Typical eBay battery: 2300mAh Camera Battery For Pentax D-LI90 K-5 K-5II K-5IIs K-7 K-01 K-3 645D 645Z 747180916478 | eBay

My Battery:
I bought some generic 2900 mAh 190s in April from an Amazon seller, ecost. They came in boxes marked LI-90, but the batteries were marked D-L190. They have three contacts and seem to have at least the capacity of the OEM battery. No issues to date with either battery.

11-23-2018, 09:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Unfortunately, their description was wrong. What they were selling was the D-Li109, not the D-Li90.
Just wanted to note the same thing happened to me with an ebay purchase.
11-23-2018, 09:47 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I also have a mix of 3 and 4 contacts. I haven't noticed a difference in performance.

Regarding 3rd party batteries, I've done okay with Watson (via B&H) and Wasabi (via Amazon) brands.

The official Pentax charger has a long cable that's awkward when traveling. The Wasabi charger linked below has a flip-out wall plug plus a 12V car socket, which IMO is a much better design. Some reports claim 3rd party chargers are more prone to shorten battery life from overcharging, so I play it safe using the Pentax charger at home and the Wasabi for travel.

amazon.com : Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for Pentax D-LI90 and Pentax 645D, 645Z, K-01, K-3, K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIs, K-7 : Digital Camera Batteries : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
11-23-2018, 10:02 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have had no issues with Wasabi’s. Have used them for 2 years with no issues and they cost about $10 each vs $49 for Pentax. Not saying they’re better than Pentax. But considering that I have had no issues with them. I’d say that they are worth it to me.
11-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
I have had no issues with Wasabi’s. Have used them for 2 years with no issues and they cost about $10 each vs $49 for Pentax. Not saying they’re better than Pentax. But considering that I have had no issues with them. I’d say that they are worth it to me.
I have a pair of Wasabi 190 clones that I swap with my one genuine battery. The Wasabis do indeed work fine but they only hold about 2/3rd the charge of the genuine. They've been like that ever since they were new. After about four years of usage, one of the Wasabis has finally begun to
die, as the last couple charging cycles has produced perhaps 40% of the charge I get from my genuine battery.
11-28-2018, 09:03 AM   #12

I have seen a UK retailer selling Pentax D-LI90E Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Batteries. Any comments
11-29-2018, 12:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I personally have found the Wasabi batteries only last about half as long as the Pentax batteries. That being said, any of the off brand ones I've used have had similar results.
12-04-2018, 05:05 PM   #14

I have used a mixture of Pentax and 3rd party batteries with my K-7, K-5, and now my K-3. I am using 3rd party batteries that are going on 3-4 years old without any issues. As has been mentioned, "your mileage may vary".
12-08-2018, 01:45 PM   #15
Pentaxian

FWIW, apart from a couple of Pentax originals, I use DSTE-branded DL-90s and 109s (as available on Amazon.co.uk) as they work and last very well.
Closed Thread