Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
True I will get around to that.

Well just out of curiosity I went and picked up a cheapy Photocopier 5D.

First impressions after being bread on pentax stuff for ever?

1) Testing with ye old flash, I get coverage at 1/250th with a trailing curtain (advertised 1/200th) Noice.

2) The larger viewfinder is welcomed. It's no Spotmatic cinema, but its a nice increase over the Pentax

3) Stock focus screen works and meters well with ye old lenses. I had trouble with the pentax actually and replaced the screen with an EE-s before it functioned.

4) The boot time is welcomed, well there is none. You flick a switch and you are there. The Pentax had its SR thing to wake up, along with a short bios load. we are talking short but I've found myself staring at the 5D screen waiting for it to come one when no, it's already on. No need for "Canon" logi's to appear.

5) No real noticeable image penalty yet when using 55mm and 50mm Taks. And I'm not sure if that's a credit to the Photocopier or a slap to the Pentax..

6) The settings menu is adorable. It feels like a really nice programmable calculator. Everything is one page, and the custom function menu consists of all the items as a list in rows on one page list (about 16 options) where you select between 0 and 1 for turning settings on and off. :P

7) It feels more like a late model film camera then an early digital? is that a weird thing to say out-loud? All the controls are available with the use of the twin scroll wheels, you need not take your eye out of the viewfinder, or dig into a menu / back screen for anything. To be fair I can't think of anything I used on the screen to confirm with the pentax.. actually maybe just drive modes and white balance at times.. I feel like some settings where just convenient that way, anyway Id appears that I won't need to look at the 5D screen for anything other then checking focus and histograms.

8) It's certainly bigger. but not enough to be a concern. Build quality feels about the same, they say these things don't like the rain. We will see :P

9) with a ye old school 512meg memory card, you get just proud of 36shoots, just like the olden days XD

Anyway, from how I use digital cameras, this feels more like a film camera, and I'm enjoying that at the moment.

VIV LA TAKING PHOTOS!

12-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not to worry, there is always eBay and KEH.