Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #1
Forum Member

OEM cables for the K-5

Hello everyone:

I have been looking around and I am having trouble find OEM (original) USB and HDMI cables for the K-5. I am not opposed to 3 party cables but it is my understanding that the Pentax used a proprietary pc/av plug on their USB cable so not just any one will do.

Could someone steer me in a direction to find replacement cables for both USB and HDMI? I have had no luck on EBAY or AMAZON as most look like they are not the right size even when they say they are supposed to fit Pentax.

Thank you

Mark

12-07-2018, 06:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd try KEH.
12-07-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Mercifulfate Quote
Hello everyone:

I have been looking around and I am having trouble find OEM (original) USB and HDMI cables for the K-5. I am not opposed to 3 party cables but it is my understanding that the Pentax used a proprietary pc/av plug on their USB cable so not just any one will do.

Could someone steer me in a direction to find replacement cables for both USB and HDMI? I have had no luck on EBAY or AMAZON as most look like they are not the right size even when they say they are supposed to fit Pentax.

Thank you

Mark
The designations are as follows:
  • USB cable (I-USB7)
  • AV cable (I-AVC7)
HDMI cables are universal, you just need one with the mini C connector on one end. The AV cable is another story.

There are listings for the USB cable:

amazoncom : Pentax I-USB7 USB Cable for the Option : Computer Usb Cables : Camera & Photo
Pentax I-USB7 Cable for Optio Cameras 39551

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-08-2018, 05:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An HDMI cable was not included with a new K-5. I remember that it took me a couple of tries with Amazon to finally end up with the correct plug on each end.

12-08-2018, 06:11 AM   #5

The USB connector isn't proprietary as Nikon and Olympus have used the same connector.
12-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The USB connector isn't proprietary as Nikon and Olympus have used the same connector.
OK that is odd because so far everything I have read told me that the USB was proprietary.

Thank you everyone for the reply. I will look for the USB cable (I-USB7)
AV cable (I-AVC7) on amazon or KEH
12-11-2018, 02:44 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

OK that is odd because so far everything I have read told me that the USB was proprietary.
I have three of them and they each came with a different Pentax camera but they are all the same USB cable.

12-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thank you everyone for the reply. I will look for the USB cable (I-USB7)
AV cable (I-AVC7) on amazon or KEH
I'm sure that Pentax re-brands them but they are buying off-the-shelf USB tech and its far cheaper to order existing cable designs and just have them imprinted with your logo/model # than to order custom cables. There are only so many wires in the USB
12-11-2018, 03:25 PM   #9

The I-AVC7 has in addition to the USB connector RCA plugs for composite video (yellow) and audio (white). The camera connector and cable is otherwise compatible with the I-USB7.
12-19-2018, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I would like to thank everyone who commented about this. I appreciate the help and clarification on the cables and my error in thinking the USB was proprietary.

Having the HDMI hooked to my TV makes it much easier to see my focus when I experiment with Macro work than going off the back LCD.