Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2020, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #1

Using "A" MF lenses on K-5?

l found my first Pentax DSLR here on the PF! Got a k-5 on the way. When you use it with an A manual focus lens, do you put the aperture ring in A and adjust f stop with the body? Or do you set the f stop with the aperture ring when in manual or aperture priority mode? And can you use program and shutter priority when using these lenses? l read about this in the user manual, but don't fully understand.

02-17-2020, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by camera_nut Quote
l found my first Pentax DSLR here on the PF! Got a k-5 on the way. When you use it with an A manual focus lens, do you put the aperture ring in A and adjust f stop with the body? Or do you set Ythe f stop with the aperture ring when in manual or aperture priority mode? And can you use program and shutter priority when using these lenses? l read about this in the user manual, but don't fully understand.

the first one - leave the aperture ring in 'A' and run the aperture with the camera body...
02-17-2020, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Leave the lens on A and then use it like any other lens. Just manual focus, and entering focal length on camera startup.
02-17-2020, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also leave the lens on the "A" setting and adjust the aperture via the camera body.

All exposure modes will work just like they do with a modern lens - all you lose is automatic focus.

02-17-2020, 08:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
Good. That's even better than using Nikons with manual glass. With 2 or 3 exceptions, Nikon never made MF lenses with electrical contacts.
02-17-2020, 09:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Also with Pentax you get shake reduction with manual focus lenses; I don't believe Nikon offers similar in a DSLR. Mirrorless maybe?
02-17-2020, 09:28 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Also with Pentax you get shake reduction with manual focus lenses; I don't believe Nikon offers similar in a DSLR. Mirrorless maybe?
AFAIK, Nikon never had a DSLR with SR. You have to have a lens with it.

02-18-2020, 03:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
The Z7 has a built in SR. I didn't check the Z6. It seems built in SR is the new must have, finally after 10 years frowning on pentax cameras (can't work - it's a pentax - no one buys one).
02-18-2020, 07:14 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

lots of friendly members

and knowledge can be found here at the forums, if you want to spend the time:

QuoteQuote:
DSLR Compatibility and Usage:

Pentax A lenses work just like modern lenses in terms of metering. All exposure modes offered by current DSLR bodies will thus be supported. Thanks to this, A lenses are much more convenient to shoot with than M and K lenses, though they are all still manual focus.

On DSLRs, the aperture ring should always be placed in the "A" position; not doing so will cause A lenses to behave like M and K lenses. . . .
Read more at: Comprehensive Pentax Lens Guide - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
Manual Focus Lens Choices for Pentax
That old glass is amazing!
By K David in Articles and Tips on Jul 19, 2015

Manual Focus Lens Choices for Pentax

Pentax users have at their disposal a large variety of Pentax legacy glass, much of it manual focus. We also have brand-new manual focus lenses from makers like Samyang, Zhongyi Optical, and Venus Optics. This article looks at contemporary options, legacy K-mount lenses, M42 mount lenses, and even the uncommon M37 mount lenses. Each type of lens has uses, drawbacks, and advantages that make them good options for different scenarios.

This two-part series discusses manual focuses lenses on Pentax DSLR bodies. This article provides a description of the different manual focus mounts made by Pentax and third-party makers who produce K-mount lenses. The second article in this series will discuss specific manual focus lens uses and techniques.. . .

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/manual-focus-lens-choic...#ixzz6EJbkTI7u

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-m...#ixzz6EJd5nU1G

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-18-2020 at 07:23 AM.
02-18-2020, 07:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

To be more precise, you could use the aperture ring to something else than A and set aperture with it, but it would be much less convenient, since you will have first to define a setting in the setup once (not really a problem to be fair), but you will have to use stop-down metering with the green button for each shot in M mode, which is both imprecise and quite a hassle, compared to controlled aperture from the body.
02-18-2020, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

camera_nut bought my K-5. I can tell you that the camera is already set up to allow using lenses with an aperture ring. But I'll have to remove my copyright info so you can enter your own.
02-18-2020, 04:59 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
entering focal length on camera startup
You only need to do this when the Shake Reduction system is turned on. If you are using an older zoom lens you will have to keep telling the camera what focal length you are currently using. Another benefit of entering the focal length into the camera when using lenses that don't automatically transmit it is that it will show up in the image's EXIF data. Modern primes and zooms tell the camera the FL.

If you are using a tripod you'll want to turn SR off. If you are using a monopod, opinions vary. If you are using a shutter speed that is at least as fast as the reciprocal of the focal length (1/100 sec. for a 100mm lens) you may not need SR on. I tend to use faster shutter speeds (1/200 sec. for 100mm lens) if I have SR off, but that's just me.

I love my K-5IIs

Last edited by Apet-Sure; 02-18-2020 at 05:01 PM. Reason: .
02-19-2020, 12:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Setting your lens to A and use the camera to set aperture. The only reason I can think of to not do that is maybe you're old school and like using the aperture ring on the lens manually?
04-19-2021, 06:21 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the tips. I just got the K5iis and look forward to using my older lenses.