Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2020, 04:02 AM   #1

Cleaning k-5 sensor

l noticed there are a few spots on the sensor. l blew the sensor with a rocket blower and it did nothing. l want to wet clean it with the Visible Dust green swabs and Sensor Clean liquid. Since it has SR and the sensor moves, do l need to be more careful how much pressure l apply with the swabs?

03-04-2020, 04:11 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No. Its like cleaning other sensors
03-04-2020, 05:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The camera needs to be on in order to clean sensor, and to be in sensor cleaning mode. I am pretty sure the sensor is perfectly held in place while in this mode. I never felt my sensor moving while cleaning it.
03-04-2020, 07:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I see there's several places in Houston that will do sensor cleaning if you're not confident about it. I don't know about prices but here in the Atlanta area they charge like 35 dollars for it, I'd say it's probably worth it. Though with my K10D I clean the sensor myself since it's such a low value camera, and I haven't had any problems, thank God... the K-5 like the K10D has an AA filter in front of the sensor so I think that is what would be getting cleaned, not the sensor itself. I think I'd be a bit more nervous about non-AA filter sensors, I don't think I'd ever attempt to clean my K-S1.

03-04-2020, 10:36 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I see there's several places in Houston that will do sensor cleaning if you're not confident about it. I don't know about prices but here in the Atlanta area they charge like 35 dollars for it, I'd say it's probably worth it. Though with my K10D I clean the sensor myself since it's such a low value camera, and I haven't had any problems, thank God... the K-5 like the K10D has an AA filter in front of the sensor so I think that is what would be getting cleaned, not the sensor itself. I think I'd be a bit more nervous about non-AA filter sensors, I don't think I'd ever attempt to clean my K-S1.
There's only one camera shop in Houston that l've tried for sensor cleaning. They do good work, but they're 20 miles from me and you have to leave the camera for 4 days. And it costs $80. l cleaned the k-5 today.
03-05-2020, 06:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by camera_nut Quote
There's only one camera shop in Houston that l've tried for sensor cleaning. They do good work, but they're 20 miles from me and you have to leave the camera for 4 days. And it costs $80. l cleaned the k-5 today.
When I did a google search yesterday I immediately found 3 that did it, but if you've already done it yourself, that is even better. What did you use? Was it one of those cleaning kits you buy online?