Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2020, 02:22 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Did I miss a setting somewhere on my K-5 IIs?

On my K-7, I believe (I'm at work and don't have my K-7 here) there was a setting in the menu to choose (when focus is set to SEL) if the directional arrows would move the focus point by default or the shortcuts to flash/white balance/etc. Regardless of which way you set this, pressing the OK button would toggle between them.

While killing some time waiting for some stuff to finish, I was just trying to jump to the white balance on my K-5 IIs and it was moving my focus point and I figured nice, it's already set to default to focus point which is my preferred (and not the default on the K-7 IIRC) method. However, pressing the OK button doesn't seem to do anything. Does the K-5 not support this or did I skip over some setting that I didn't notice?

EDIT>>
Nevermind. I'm an idiot. They added a delay and I have to hold the button for a second or so. I think I actually prefer this a lot more as I did have a bit of a habit of accidentally hitting the OK button and then would pull up the white balance options or something when trying to move the focus point which would of course just throw me off for a minute until I got back to what I was trying to do. It shouldn't take much re-learning to remember to do this and I think it will end up being much more convenient.

Last edited by Gorgarath; 11-05-2020 at 02:26 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot. lol
11-05-2020, 03:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Without sarcasm, I want to say that the instruction is a useful thing. Glad you quickly figure out what was going on.

---------- Post added 11-05-20 at 03:03 PM ----------

By the way, are the colors of k7 really very different from k5m2?
11-05-2020, 04:03 PM   #3
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Quote
Without sarcasm, I want to say that the instruction is a useful thing. Glad you quickly figure out what was going on.

---------- Post added 11-05-20 at 03:03 PM ----------

By the way, are the colors of k7 really very different from k5m2?
Normally I'd have read the manual already, but I've been busy and hadn't gotten to it yet. I believe they also have a PDF online as well, and if not, I'm sure I can find one. I'll be downloading it to my Kindle as well. I also plan on picking up the K-5 book that's available on the forum, but I'll wait until next year when I can get it as my free book for the year.

As to if the colors are very different, I don't know yet. I've been getting out of work rather late most days and have been exhausted, so I haven't had a chance to get out and shoot anything.
11-05-2020, 04:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
Normally I'd have read the manual already, but I've been busy and hadn't gotten to it yet. I believe they also have a PDF online as well, and if not, I'm sure I can find one. I'll be downloading it to my Kindle as well. I also plan on picking up the K-5 book that's available on the forum, but I'll wait until next year when I can get it as my free book for the year.

As to if the colors are very different, I don't know yet. I've been getting out of work rather late most days and have been exhausted, so I haven't had a chance to get out and shoot anything.
I hope I did not offend you, my work is to blame for everything.

11-05-2020, 05:09 PM   #5
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Quote
I hope I did not offend you, my work is to blame for everything.
No offense taken. I figured I'd find the answer in the manual, but I figured I'd find an answer faster by posting here instead of waiting until I got home. I really am surprised I haven't read the manual yet.

I blame it on being mostly just wanting to not have to think about anything after getting home from work. I also had the latest episode of Critical Role to catch up on.
11-05-2020, 07:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had the same problem and felt like an idiot for not being able to figure it out quickly. I now carry the manual in the camera bag because of that,
11-05-2020, 07:49 PM   #7
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I had the same problem and felt like an idiot for not being able to figure it out quickly. I now carry the manual in the camera bag because of that,
Haha, at least I'm not the only one. I feel a bit better about myself now. lol