Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2020, 08:41 PM   #1
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Focusing Screen Questions

I believe the K-5 IIs comes with the standard focusing screen that my K-7 had. However, the one I picked up either has a third party screen or the optional plain screen that has no markings.

I'm just curious if there's any easy way to determine which focusing screen it actually has installed. I'll have to have a dig through the box again later to see if I missed a wrapper or the original focusing screen or anything in the box.

I suppose I can try reaching out to the person from whom I bought it, but I'm not sure if they were the original owner or if I'll even get a response.

11-09-2020, 09:40 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
according to the owners review chart it had an " exchangeable screen "

https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-k-5-iis.html

check the focus Screen section of the Accessories:

Focusing Screens (Genuine Pentax) - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database:

PENTAX MF-60 AF Frame Matte (K-5, K-7) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

PENTAX ML-60 AF Divided Matte (K-5, K-7) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

PENTAX MI-60 AF Scale Matte (K-5, K-7) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

PENTAX ME-60 Plain Matte (K-5, K-7) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The standard focusing screen delivered with the camera with the exception of the K-7 Limited, where a screen with "Golden Divisions" came standard.
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/pentax-mf-60-af-frame-matte-k-...#ixzz6dMdadOzX

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-09-2020 at 09:46 PM.
11-09-2020, 10:01 PM   #3
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, I was on my phone and didn't have an easy way to look up the model names/numbers.

I was 99% sure the MF-60 was the one that came standard on the K-7 and K-5 but didn't have the manual handy to confirm absolutely. I had originally thought of possibly replacing the MF-60 with either the ME-60 or ML-60 for my K-7, but found I got on just fine with the MF-60, so I never bothered. However, my K-5 IIs, purchased used, has a plain one, either the ME-60 or some third party one. Is there any way of figuring out if it's the ME-60 or some 3rd party screen? It's not a big deal, I'm just curious as I've no experience with any screens other than the MF-60.

I know a lot of people like the katzeye and split screens or whatnot for manual lenses, but I've no idea what they look like. I'm fairly certain what I have is probably the ME-60, but I don't know how to tell.

I looked through the box again, but found nothing in regards to the focusing screen.
11-09-2020, 11:35 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You'll need to carefully pull it out or at least down where you can see the tab. If the tab says m60 you have one of the Pentax branded screens. If it doesn't then it's likely an S type aftermarket screen.

https://www.focusingscreen.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_113&products_id=110...60283d394f8c15

The screen is based on the Canon S screen:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/590458-REG/Canon_3357B001_Eg_S_Super_...ion_Matte.html

Last edited by UncleVanya; 11-10-2020 at 07:59 PM.
11-10-2020, 12:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I may have a standard K5II screen lying around somewhere.
11-10-2020, 08:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
I'll have to have a dig through the box again later to see if I missed a wrapper or the original focusing screen or anything in the box.
Could it be this?
Pentax K7 ; LCD monitor cover ("window"); "ee-S type" focusing screen - PentaxForums.com
Go to Post no. 2... not trying to sell that to you but I thought it might help in your search.
11-10-2020, 12:01 PM   #7
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Could it be this?
Pentax K7 ; LCD monitor cover ("window"); "ee-S type" focusing screen - PentaxForums.com
Go to Post no. 2... not trying to sell that to you but I thought it might help in your search.
It could be, but as mentioned, there is nothing on the screen and I have no trash in the box from when the screen was installed, so I can't confirm if it is that one or a different plain screen.