Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2020, 07:30 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tip for Connecting to Monitor

I am wanting to connect my K-5 to a monitor using the HDMI output but it seems to have trouble syncing with the monitor. I played with it for some time and finally after multiple attempts it displayed in 640 mode then I was able to get it to display in the 720, 1080i and automatic modes. I turned every thing off and tried to connect a second time and could not get a display on the monitor.

I do have a television and it will work with the camera without trouble on HDMI. Is there some trick I have missed to getting a reliable display with the monitor?

12-30-2020, 12:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I'd like to help, but I don't have any problem with any of my HDMI-capable cameras and my HP monitor … as it happens I've not tried connecting to my TV.
It may help to mention which monitor you are using, just in case anyone else has something similar.
There's always the "Have you tried a firmware update" suggestion. Updates are available at Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING … the latest for the K-5 is 1.16. I don't know if any of the K-5 updates were concerned with HDMI, but it's a thought

Good luck
12-30-2020, 04:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Monitors and TVs identify themselves differently to the connected device when connected via HDMI. The camera is configured to recognise the identifier information that a tv sends down the HDMI cable as that would be the usage scenario the camera developer programmed the camera for. Connecting directly to a monitor probably wasn’t an expected scenario as monitors typically were still using dvi rather than HDMI when the K5 was being developed, so the camera is likely not correctly interpreting the device information that the monitor is sending over the HDMI connection and therefore failing to properly configure the output.
12-30-2020, 08:08 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You might have a cable problem.

Steve

12-30-2020, 04:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same thought here, my K-5 connects without any trouble to a variety of TVs and my computer monitor.
01-08-2021, 11:31 AM   #6

Original Poster
Well, like I said it did connect once but only with great difficulty. The camera does connect easily with the same cable to my tv. When I try to connect to the monitor the camera reacts as if it is connected but the monitor does not display. Turn off the monitor and the camera comes back to display on the rear screen. Turn the monitor on and the back screen goes off but nothing comes on the monitor. I think it is a sync problem with the monitor but I have no idea as to why it worked once or how I can get it working again.

The reason I wanted to do this is I am using my camera on an 8 inch telescope and would like to use a monitor to see live view without touching or approaching the telescope.
01-08-2021, 01:17 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sloglass Quote
Well, like I said it did connect once but only with great difficulty. The camera does connect easily with the same cable to my tv. When I try to connect to the monitor the camera reacts as if it is connected but the monitor does not display. Turn off the monitor and the camera comes back to display on the rear screen. Turn the monitor on and the back screen goes off but nothing comes on the monitor. I think it is a sync problem with the monitor but I have no idea as to why it worked once or how I can get it working again.

The reason I wanted to do this is I am using my camera on an 8 inch telescope and would like to use a monitor to see live view without touching or approaching the telescope.
Sounds like it may be time to talk to the maker of your field monitor. They may have some insights in regards to cable length/grade and camera settings. Out of curiosity, what model field monitor are you connecting to and how long is the cable?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-08-2021 at 01:23 PM.