Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2021, 04:38 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Just hopping into this thread to say that I just purchased a used K-5 with circa 6,000 shutter count and a Sigma 17-70mm. I only recently upgraded my (admittedly outdated) Olympus E-PM1 to a Panasonic G80, but I grabbed the K-5 at a good price. I'm thinking that I'll continue using my G80 as the camera I carry on a daily basis and that I'll make especial use of the K-5 when I want to focus on landscapes or more complex compositions that would benefit from a higher dynamic range than my micro-4/3 sensor could provide!

I have habitually used film-era Pentax lenses via an adapter on my Oly and Panny cameras, but I am excited to pop them onto my K-5 now and have a go.

I haven't had a lot of time to play with the K-5 just yet (it arrived yesterday), but I'm thinking that these forums will be a great resource as I get going with this camera!

07-06-2021, 11:32 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by archaeodude Quote
Just hopping into this thread to say that I just purchased a used K-5 with circa 6,000 shutter count and a Sigma 17-70mm. I only recently upgraded my (admittedly outdated) Olympus E-PM1 to a Panasonic G80, but I grabbed the K-5 at a good price. I'm thinking that I'll continue using my G80 as the camera I carry on a daily basis and that I'll make especial use of the K-5 when I want to focus on landscapes or more complex compositions that would benefit from a higher dynamic range than my micro-4/3 sensor could provide!

I have habitually used film-era Pentax lenses via an adapter on my Oly and Panny cameras, but I am excited to pop them onto my K-5 now and have a go.

I haven't had a lot of time to play with the K-5 just yet (it arrived yesterday), but I'm thinking that these forums will be a great resource as I get going with this camera!
Maybe you mean the G85? I can't find a Panasonic G80.

The size of the K-5 isn't much bigger than the G85, so why not grab a small prime (or two) and make use of that better image quality of the K-5? Unless you are doing video, of course...
07-08-2021, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Maybe you mean the G85? I can't find a Panasonic G80.

The size of the K-5 isn't much bigger than the G85, so why not grab a small prime (or two) and make use of that better image quality of the K-5? Unless you are doing video, of course...
Yes, the G85 is the U.S. version of the G80, which I recently bought here in the UK.

I'm just a hobbyist on a skimpy budget, so I'm not sure how many primes I'll be able to accumulate in the immediate future!

And yes, I do make use of the 4K video on my Panny!
07-12-2021, 07:57 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

My wife bought a K5 and I a K5IIs , both when they became discontinued. We see no reason to upgrade to something newer, but then we are always on the trailing edge of technology. I did upgrade my Pentax film camera from a MZ7 to the ND and I now shoot primarily film in medium and large format.

The K5 series of cameras were a great value and model and remain as very useable and sufficient for a great number of folks. Also with Pentax releasing new lenses that do not operate on them it solves GAS. 😀

My wife would not have upgraded from her K10D had she not broken it.

Enjoy your new camera and may you create a World of images that make you happy and proud. If you are not earning your living from photography then being happy, pleased and proud of your work is all that you can ask for from a camera.

07-23-2021, 09:06 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
My wife bought a K5 and I a K5IIs , both when they became discontinued. We see no reason to upgrade to something newer, but then we are always on the trailing edge of technology. I did upgrade my Pentax film camera from a MZ7 to the ND and I now shoot primarily film in medium and large format.

The K5 series of cameras were a great value and model and remain as very useable and sufficient for a great number of folks. Also with Pentax releasing new lenses that do not operate on them it solves GAS. 😀

My wife would not have upgraded from her K10D had she not broken it.

Enjoy your new camera and may you create a World of images that make you happy and proud. If you are not earning your living from photography then being happy, pleased and proud of your work is all that you can ask for from a camera.
Thanks very much for your message and encouragement!

I've had a chance to take some photos over the past couple of weeks, and I am very pleased with this K-5. It has quite a different 'feel' than my Panasonic body, but I'm planning to keep on using both for the forseeable future!
07-26-2021, 12:14 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by archaeodude Quote
Thanks very much for your message and encouragement!

I've had a chance to take some photos over the past couple of weeks, and I am very pleased with this K-5. It has quite a different 'feel' than my Panasonic body, but I'm planning to keep on using both for the forseeable future!
I remember that we atill h ave a SFXn that weve had since 1988. And my film camer a is a MX ,autocorrect made rhe error.

Enjoy yor photographic adventures