Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2021, 03:03 AM - 13 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-5

This is just a rave and general comment. I recently purchased a Pentax K-5 and wow. It was manufactured Sep. 19, 2010 and I did a check and the shutter count is 10,367. I would say that is pretty good. Did some math and that is only averaging 85 shots/month over 10+ years. The quality of my photos is very good and since I am not blowing them up to 24" x 26" I am good. One of the things which I love is having all the buttons. It saves going through the most common items, i.e. searching the menu with the up-down-right-left button guys, I might want to adjust while shooting. It is like sitting down to the dinner table and asking someone to pass the potatoes. They are already on the table and you don't have to go into the kitchen and hunt for them. 16mp is fine with me and to go to the k-3 for more pixels at this point was not worth the cost as all the features on my k-5 are good enough for now and I have money in the bank for other lenses and obviously can go to the k-3 later. IN closing I am one happy camper with my k-5.............Doug

01-30-2021, 07:17 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dougieazar Quote
This is just a rave and general comment. I recently purchased a Pentax K-5 and wow. It was manufactured Sep. 19, 2010 and I did a check and the shutter count is 10,367. I would say that is pretty good. Did some math and that is only averaging 85 shots/month over 10+ years. The quality of my photos is very good and since I am not blowing them up to 24" x 26" I am good. One of the things which I love is having all the buttons. It saves going through the most common items, i.e. searching the menu with the up-down-right-left button guys, I might want to adjust while shooting. It is like sitting down to the dinner table and asking someone to pass the potatoes. They are already on the table and you don't have to go into the kitchen and hunt for them. 16mp is fine with me and to go to the k-3 for more pixels at this point was not worth the cost as all the features on my k-5 are good enough for now and I have money in the bank for other lenses and obviously can go to the k-3 later. IN closing I am one happy camper with my k-5.............Doug
But, but, but...it's OLD!!! Who CARES if it's good???

I think you just sent some influencers and marketers into early graves! How can they make money from freeloaders on the past like you?!

Last edited by jgnfld; 01-30-2021 at 07:37 AM.
01-30-2021, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Doug, welcome to Pentax Forums and congratulations on your recently acquired K-5! It is a great camera and should bring you many years of great service and enjoyment. I have both the K-5 and the K-3II, and I don't hesitate to use my K-5. In fact, on long trips I like to bring them both and leave my two favorite travel lenses mounted on them, the HD DA16-85 on the K-5 and the HD DA55-300 PLM on the K-3II. I have actually printed 16"x24" images taken with my K-5 and they look great to me. Warmest regards, Todd
01-30-2021, 07:41 AM - 2 Likes   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with the K-5 series...

I recently bought/unboxed/started using a NIB K-5 IIs - and it is wondrous!

01-30-2021, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

old is old and good is good

there is nothing wrong with old Pentax gear if it does what you want and desire

congrats
01-30-2021, 11:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

My K5IIs have significantly lower noise than my Nikon D7200 after 200iso, but I do like the extra resolution when and if cropping, K3II was no longer in production for a new purchase and the KP was not the camera I was looking for, considering I like big cameras for my big hands, so I moved back to Nikon. I have also made some nice, printed 14x28"' Panos for friends with the K5II...
01-30-2021, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #7

The K5 is a great camera, I bought one back in 2013 and it has been very reliable and durable (I left it out in the snow all night, no probs), I also love the ergonomics. However having used a few different cameras since then, mainly a Nikon D750 and Fuji Xh1. It really is showing its age. I found the D750 to be significantly faster regarding the processor and it focuses in and handles low light situations a lot better. The XH1 has handy ISO and SS dials and the modern Fuji lenses still have aperture rings, I really like the focus peaking for manual lenses and the compability with instax instant printers. I mainly use the Xh1 with a tiny Laowa 9mm lens and the 16-55mm but from time to time I do take out the K5 with the DA 35mm, DA 40mm Xs, DA 50mm and DFA 100mm, great primes for the money. Nowadays I choose a camera based on the feeling and experience, instead of the specs and the K5 has remained whereas many other cameras I had, got the boot.

Last edited by JJ-eire; 01-30-2021 at 02:45 PM.
01-30-2021, 06:15 PM   #8
Forum Member

I am with you. You have a wonderful, reliable camera.
02-01-2021, 09:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've just 'loaned' mine to my daughter. Along with a DA 16-45 f4 and DA 55-300 f4-5.8 ED. She was asking me about cameras and photography in general a week or two ago so I foolishly offered it to her to try. With lockdown restrictions here, working from home, etc she hasn't had chance to get to grips with it yet but when she does I can kiss it goodbye.
Still a brilliant camera.
02-02-2021, 12:41 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with the K-5 series...
His would be from the first production run, which makes him a lucky, as well as a happy camper. The early K5 bodies were something of a nightmare.
02-06-2021, 02:35 PM   #11
Pentaxian

IN closing I am one happy camper with my k-5.............Doug
You can find more K-5 related thougs and ideas in this Subforum:
Pentax K-5 - PentaxForums.com
02-07-2021, 07:29 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

The K-5 IIs is still one of the highest DR APSC cameras ever made, matching many full frame cameras of the era.

Arguably the K-3 series was actually a downgrade in a lot of ways.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 02-07-2021 at 07:38 AM.
02-08-2021, 01:07 PM   #13

Thats great to hear! I have a line on a used K5 right now.....as long as there are no issues, I may spring for it!
02-14-2021, 07:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I bought a used K5 from KEH about a year and a half ago. So far, it has served me perfectly. No problems, whatsoever.

It replaced a K10d that I had had for ten years. I loved the K10d, and I still read the "K10d Club" thread in this forum, even though I gave the K10d to my son.

The biggest difference that I see is the vastly improved high-ISO performance. The K10d got very noisy above ISO 400 and 1600 was almost unusable. By contrast I get acceptable (to me) results at the extremes of ISO setting (ISO 51,200). I haven't really used that high of an ISO setting, except for testing, but it was less noisy than the K10d was at 1,600.

All that being said, I have gotten very acceptable 16 x 20 prints from the K10d, using 90 percent of the image size. I don't shoot birds in flight or anything that requires cropping a very small portion of the image and blowing it up to that large a print, but it is nice to have the extra 4 megapixels in the K5.

In short, I am very happy with my K5 and see no real need to "upgrade" to a newer camera. I am hardly using the full capability of the one I have.

I have the battery grip for the K5. I also had one for the K10d. I highly recommend it. I know that some people like a smaller camera in their hands, but I feel the opposite. I like the extra size and even the extra weight of the battery grip. I have fairly large hands. I also like the shutter button on the bottom corner of the grip, which falls nicely under my right index finger when I hold the camera in the portrait orientation. I find it a little awkward wrapping my hand over the top of the camera to reach the normal shutter button when not using the grip.

The extra battery and SD card in the grip is a plus, although I really miss being able to store the Pentax remote control in the grip, as I could in the K10d. I don't know why Pentax dropped that feature.
02-15-2021, 09:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The K-5 is an excellent choice. The K-5 series hits all the right notes in size weight and performance. I have both the K-5 and K5iis and have not hit any limits in my usage. It's a well built and very capable camera and should serve you well for years to come.