Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2021, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #16

I had a Pentax KR which could take some lovely images but quite frequently would miss focus.
I bought the K5 iis and I could instantly see the quality difference in both the actual camera and in the images.
I went from frequently disappointed by the KR to constantly impressed by the K5 iis, I love it.

02-24-2021, 09:41 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
But, but, but...it's OLD!!! Who CARES if it's good???
I think you just sent some influencers and marketers into early graves! How can they make money from freeloaders on the past like you?!
I just had to laugh full heartedly when I read this comment of yours! Particular you mentioning this very strange new genre called influencer. When they first appeared on this planet I just didn't given 'em much attention... not that I do nowadays ... but I am flabbergasted how much importance they gained... particular now during Covid-times.

@dougieazar: Well.... all has been said and yes, the K5 is still great, the K5IIs for me was one of the very best Pentax ever, that the K5-series did not receive a firmware update for KAF4 lenses such as the DA55-300PLM was a crime and I am sure Ricoh angered many and lost more than they gained.... marketers in this case ... they should receive the firmware-update: A firm update called "customer-care"
04-29-2021, 06:00 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
I think you will be quite happy with the K-5. I upgraded regularly until the K-5 and after that, there was never quite enough to entice me to upgrade. I've now had mine for 9 years and 65K shots. It's still rock solid other than the lens release button that developed some issues at around 50K pictures. I've finally now ordered the K-3iii and have been surprised by the number of posters that have talked about a number of things that they like that also remind them of the K-5. Makes me feel like there was a bit of a drop-off on some things along the way. All that to say, good choice and enjoy it.
04-30-2021, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K-5 still gets the job done with little fanfare but comes with all the necessary tools to make it happen. It hits the sweet spot between image quality and efficiency, bringing improved ISO performance vs. its predecessors without the huge file sizes from its successors.

05-04-2021, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cobbu2 Quote
The K-5 still gets the job done with little fanfare but comes with all the necessary tools to make it happen. It hits the sweet spot between image quality and efficiency, bringing improved ISO performance vs. its predecessors without the huge file sizes from its successors.
So true, that sensor is still wonderful to this day and the camera can be bought for so little money.

Only thing I've noticed when comparing to other DSLRs of the time - it is HEAVY. 760g body only is a lot for a mid-range DSLR.
05-05-2021, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #21

I use both the K5 iis and a Sony A6000 and am often experimenting with them and will take identical images with both at the same focal length.
If I then send the images over to the 65 inchTV to be honest I don't think anyone would know whether they was looking at 16 mp or 24 from the Sony.
What I do notice is straight from camera the K5 iis has much more natural looking colours than the Sony regardless off what colour settings were used.
I like both but if I had to sell one I'd be selling the Sony first.
05-05-2021, 09:26 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
After reading all the responses regarding the k-5 i am in complete agreement and I believe I stated so in my original thread. My experience had been similar in other words I have both the k-5 16mp and a k-3 24mp and the quality is not really what I would call overly noticeable. I agree about the kr as I have that as well and a kx and an ist dl. Years ago when I bought my ist dl I also had a Nikon d40x 10mp. The clarity and sharpness of the d40x was good but I did not care for the Nikon colors. They seemed washed-out and faded as per my ist dl which were vibrant and to me accurate and real.......................D

05-05-2021, 11:24 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dougieazar Quote
They seemed washed-out and faded as per my ist dl which were vibrant and to me accurate and real.
Ah, the magical pixel dust of those old CCD sensors. I fully concur with your opinion, that the k-5 series (especially the II series with improved AF) are extremely capable, even when compared directly with newer models. As other posters have noted, the 16MP sensor is one of the best in terms of dynamic range and has its own magical color rendition. It sound like you have acquired a K-3 since your original post, so you have been able to do your own comparison. Enjoy that K-5.
05-13-2021, 06:57 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually I think I prefer my k-5 over my k-3. I have used the same lenses on both cameras and the results from the k-5 are superioer to the k-3. Maybe I got a k-3 lemon. Hard to say but my k-5 is getting much use.

Maybe somebody could help me with an issue. I right now have version 1.1 firmware in my l-3 and want to upgrade. I downloaded the latest version, fully charged my battery, formatted my SD card, put the card in the camera, held the menu button down while turning on the camera and all I am getting is my info screen. Under firmware/options all it does is tell me the version and not options. What is going on? Help.....
05-16-2021, 07:26 PM   #25

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Be careful not to leave it in your car on a hot day. I left mine in a camera bag in the back seat floor board out of direct sunlight on a hot day, and since then the ISO settings below ISO 800 don't reduce the sensitivity. i.e. ISO 100 to 800 all capture exposures like they're set at ISO 800. The sensitivities above 800 still work so the camera is now better suited for high ISO applications.
05-18-2021, 04:30 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info BB. I must say living here in Arizona there is not a problem finding heat. My solution is quite easy I use either store bought freezer bags or water bottles frozen in the freezer and place them in a cooler with my cameras. My cameras sit on a towel for protection and the bottle sits in a corner so any condensation is absorbed under the towel and since my k-3 and k-5 are weather sealed I am not overly worried about the moisture factor. It is not going to freeze in the cooler anyway just stay cool and out of the heat........
06-15-2021, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #27

+ Hello, I have two K5, bought the first in September 2012 and the second in May 2015. Between the two they add up to 15 thousand shots. For the photography that I do, mainly landscape and some macro, the capabilities of the K5 fully satisfy me. Whenever I travel I carry a Sigma 10-20, a Pentax 17-70, a Tamron 70-300 and in case it rains a Pentax 18-135. I can add a Tamron 90 macro 1: 1. That is my basic equipment and with that I am happy. It is not in my plans to switch to more modern cameras.
06-17-2021, 06:16 AM   #28

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dougieazar Quote
This is just a rave and general comment. I recently purchased a Pentax K-5 and wow. It was manufactured Sep. 19, 2010 and I did a check and the shutter count is 10,367. I would say that is pretty good. Did some math and that is only averaging 85 shots/month over 10+ years. The quality of my photos is very good and since I am not blowing them up to 24" x 26" I am good. One of the things which I love is having all the buttons. It saves going through the most common items, i.e. searching the menu with the up-down-right-left button guys, I might want to adjust while shooting. It is like sitting down to the dinner table and asking someone to pass the potatoes. They are already on the table and you don't have to go into the kitchen and hunt for them. 16mp is fine with me and to go to the k-3 for more pixels at this point was not worth the cost as all the features on my k-5 are good enough for now and I have money in the bank for other lenses and obviously can go to the k-3 later. IN closing I am one happy camper with my k-5.............Doug
Well Done.
I always carry a K5 as a backup travelling camera, regardless of my choice of a 'primary' camera for the particular trip/destination, either K-50(AA-batteries, 'white' solenoid) or Kp(compact & 24MP).
Sold my old K5 when i found a NIB K5, purchased NIB K5, but gave it to daughter when she developed an interest in astrophotography.
Immediately started to miss K5, so bought a used one, low-ish shutter count. Updated Firmware, cleaned sensor, mirror, focusing screen.
Happy again.
06-17-2021, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently bought a used K-5 IIS in great condition and low shutter count, and absolutely love it! My KP is better at autofocusing and processing images, plus has much newer technologies and better sensor, but I'm really excited by how the K-5 IIS is built, and the excellent grip. Shutter sound is so quiet and I love the handling of the camera. So I'm spoiled because I can now shoot with the KP + 20-40mm zoom, and K-5 IIS + DA* 55mm or FA 31mm. Life is good!
06-17-2021, 11:25 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I sold my k-r for the same reason, poor focus and color, and got my k-5 and was out shooting with it today at 110 degrees and it just fired away. Left my k-3 at home napping on my bed......................