Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2021, 01:23 PM   #1

big problem Pentax k5 LCD display

Hello to all. I have a big problem with my Pentax k5 where for no reason the lcd stopped working. Thinking the backlight or display was broken, I bought new ones,But I did not get any results. By checking the connector that goes from the backlight to the motherboard, I saw that I have no board in input,So it makes me think that the problem is on the motherboard, but I really don't know where to put my hands there. My question is simple: before throwing it away, I was wondering if there is any documentation Electronics technician, to try to figure out what's wrong on the motherboard, or if anyone here on the group had similar problems and can give me some suggestions. Thanks in advance everyone And greetings from Italy. PS: I also tried to backlight the display with an external power supply, but even so the images are not visible, so I suppose there is no power even to the liquid crystals

Last edited by Sider; 04-03-2021 at 02:16 PM.
04-21-2021, 10:14 PM   #2

Some people have tried warning mother board in oven to melt the soldering connections, I would try contacting Pentax, their customer support seems pretty good.
04-26-2021, 04:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Surukis14 Quote
Some people have tried warning mother board in oven to melt the soldering connections, I would try contacting Pentax, their customer support seems pretty good.
I'm about to move on to ultrasonic tank cleaning, hoping the problem is a false contact. However, I will update the results. Technical assistance is very dependent on the country in which There you are. I was able to prove firsthand that for example in Canada, Pentax has excellent assistance, but living in Italy It is no coincidence that I have decided that this Pentax will be my last Pentax
04-26-2021, 05:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can usually tell if the backlight is working, even if the LCD is blanking everything, by placing the camera in a dark room. If the backlight is on, you will see a faint glow from the screen. I suspect that due to the limited number of connections in the LCD flex circuit, that the display information may be transferred from the main control board via a serial interface. However, I don't have any documentation to assist your fault finding. I believe there may be a LCD test option in the debug mode menus but without being able to see the display it will be tough to navigate the menus.