Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2021, 06:24 AM   #1

Taking B&W photography with Pentax K5

Hello,
I've just bought yesterday a Pentax K-5 with 3 lens and I was very happy.
But today,I have a bad surprised when I see that to make B&W photo with the K5 I have to select a digital filter and to extract all colors.
Doing this when I take a picture it is very long to record it, it is not possible to keep this mode.

Do you think there is another method to take B&W photography with the K5 ?

Previously with my Pentax K20 it was wery simple.

Thank you for your help

Eugène Atget

04-16-2021, 06:41 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Personally I just shoot in "regular" mode with all the filters off and custom image in 'natural' as I'm shooting in raw, then turn it to B&W in post.

However, if you're shooting in JPEG, you should be able to select a "BW" custom image, rather than digital filter, which would be simpler than extracting colours and such.
04-16-2021, 07:20 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The right button of the four-way controller on my K-3 leads me into a menu where I can select monocrome besides some other presets for the image processing (when pushing "Info" I can make some further adjustments to the selected image presets).

I am not sure about the K-5 but I think it is worth a try.
04-16-2021, 07:59 AM - 2 Likes   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
The right button of the four-way controller on my K-3 leads me into a menu where I can select monocrome besides some other presets for the image processing (when pushing "Info" I can make some further adjustments to the selected image presets).

I am not sure about the K-5 but I think it is worth a try.
It is the same on the K-5: Fourway controller custom image setting Monochrome setting. Is a "capture" setting. The other settings you mention are for post-processing in camera I believe.

04-16-2021, 08:34 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eatget Quote
Hello,
I've just bought yesterday a Pentax K-5 with 3 lens and I was very happy.
But today,I have a bad surprised when I see that to make B&W photo with the K5 I have to select a digital filter and to extract all colors.
Doing this when I take a picture it is very long to record it, it is not possible to keep this mode.

Previously with my Pentax K20 it was wery simple.

Thank you for your help

Eugène Atget
Welcome to Pentax Forums! Are you related to the famous Parisian photographer Eugene Atget?

I started with a K-5 and now shoot almost exclusively with K-1. I, too, shoot raw (DNGs) and then use various ways to create black-and-white files in post processing—either in Lightroom or in Photoshop. I rarely use the auto conversion; instead, I find I achieve much better results controlling the of tonalities for specific color channels. Also, if I ever want to produce a color version I can do that, too.

Last edited by EssJayEff; 04-16-2021 at 09:18 AM. Reason: changed "other" to "either"
04-16-2021, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Is a "capture" setting. The other settings you mention are for post-processing in camera I believe.
You can fine-tune the capture settings (monochrome, bright, normal, ...) when pushing the "Info" button instead of "OK" when selecting them.
04-16-2021, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eatget Quote
I shoot DNG or PEF and do the monochrome conversion in post processing on my computer. As noted above, the easiest way do in-camera monochrome is by using the custom image feature (right press on 4-way controller). Once set, it should persist until changed to something else.

Steve
04-16-2021, 01:28 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you all.
I'm reassured I thought it was not possible.
I followed your advice and eveything is ok,

04-16-2021, 01:51 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
Welcome to Pentax Forums! Are you related to the famous Parisian photographer Eugene Atget?

I started with a K-5 and now shoot almost exclusively with K-1. I, too, shoot raw (DNGs) and then use various ways to create black-and-white files in post processing—either in Lightroom or in Photoshop. I rarely use the auto conversion; instead, I find I achieve much better results controlling the of tonalities for specific color channels. Also, if I ever want to produce a color version I can do that, too.
Dear EssJayEff

Sorry, I have no relation with Eugène Atget except that I live in Paris and taking photographs in Paris is my best experience

Eatget
04-16-2021, 01:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I import color. jpg photos from my K5 into my iOS Photos software and can convert a photo into b&w simply by clicking on the Black & White option in Editing.
04-16-2021, 04:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
It is the same on the K-5: Fourway controller custom image setting Monochrome setting. Is a "capture" setting. The other settings you mention are for post-processing in camera I believe.
Agree.