Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2021, 06:16 PM - 3 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K5iis

Just got the K5iis. Looking forward to posting my photos. Got the manual. Lots to learn for sure

04-19-2021, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it is a great camera - the 16mp sensor is coated liberally with pixie dust....

be sure to post your work here:

Post Your K5IIs Pictures Here! - PentaxForums.com
04-19-2021, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Make sure it has the latest firmware!
Latest K-5II/K-5IIs Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
04-19-2021, 06:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love the files from the K5IIs, and I find they are very similar to the in camera APS-C "cropped" images from the K-1. Have fun - its a big leap from a K200D.

04-19-2021, 06:40 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

consider getting the ebook:

PentaxForums.com PayPal Donations
04-19-2021, 08:58 PM   #6
HYS
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is a fantastic camera!
04-19-2021, 11:29 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Full agreement with pepperberry farm and the qualification of "pixie dust"! The K5IIs was the "cream of the crop" with this sensor.
And to me the best of all Pentaxbodies for ergonomics (and position of the buttons).
P-TTL is can be a bit fuzzy but as I hardly use flash so it might well be my inexperience there.
Lowlight ability is fantastic (a feature very important to me).

I think that only now the K3III could be the true successor but for a price.

I sold my K5IIs for the KP because I still had my K5II as backup. Last week I sold it because I found a K5IIs with a nonworking LCD for $ 90, repair was done within 40min and now it is back in my house.

04-20-2021, 06:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Full agreement with pepperberry farm and the qualification of "pixie dust"! The K5IIs was the "cream of the crop" with this sensor.
And to me the best of all Pentaxbodies for ergonomics (and position of the buttons).
P-TTL is can be a bit fuzzy but as I hardly use flash so it might well be my inexperience there.
Lowlight ability is fantastic (a feature very important to me).

I think that only now the K3III could be the true successor but for a price.

I sold my K5IIs for the KP because I still had my K5II as backup. Last week I sold it because I found a K5IIs with a nonworking LCD for $ 90, repair was done within 40min and now it is back in my house.
Interesting comment, that last one. I have the K5ii, and of course am curious as to what the differences are between it and the K5iis, and how much removal of the AA filter really influences image quality. I really like the images from the K5ii -- they have wonderful tonality and depth -- but I find they lack clarity and crisp sharpness (micro contrast? not really sure what that term means). I was getting crisper, clearer images out of my daughter's old Olympus Pen m4/3, and from my old MX-1, which is remarkable as it only has a tiny 1/1.7" sensor. Really good glass helps the K5ii a lot, but still... I'd be curious to hear your impressions of the K5iis. Thanks!
04-20-2021, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #9

I'm thinking about getting one of the older model to use as a heavy duty backup (bad weather action mostly). Never owned any "flagship" from Pentax (KP, K30, Kr, k200, Samsung ist - if memory serves) - is K5IIs a valid sturdy choice?
04-20-2021, 07:01 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chriswill Quote
I'm thinking about getting one of the older model to use as a heavy duty backup (bad weather action mostly). Never owned any "flagship" from Pentax (KP, K30, Kr, k200, Samsung ist - if memory serves) - is K5IIs a valid sturdy choice?
Definitely! I have the K5ii (same camera, slightly different sensor...no AA filter in the K5iis), and I use it in the rain, snow, bitterly cold temps, and it takes a licking and keeps on ticking . Coldest temps I used it in was this past winter at -32 deg. C for an hour, and had zero issues, not even a dead battery. Previous to that it was -25 C for about 2-1/2 hours...same result...it just works. Next weekend I was out in sleet and snow for a couple of hours and the camera got covered in it...not a hiccup. Fantastic cameras! And the buttons and dials are big enough that you can use it with thick gloves on.

Last edited by Viking42; 04-25-2021 at 05:05 PM.
04-20-2021, 07:08 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
Interesting comment, that last one. I have the K5ii, and of course am curious as to what the differences are between it and the K5iis, and how much removal of the AA filter really influences image quality. I really like the images from the K5ii -- they have wonderful tonality and depth -- but I find they lack clarity and crisp sharpness (micro contrast? not really sure what that term means). I was getting crisper, clearer images out of my daughter's old Olympus Pen m4/3, and from my old MX-1, which is remarkable as it only has a tiny 1/1.7" sensor. Really good glass helps the K5ii a lot, but still... I'd be curious to hear your impressions of the K5iis. Thanks!
Use the forums comparison tool under " Cameras " above
04-20-2021, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Use the forums comparison tool under " Cameras " above
Thanks for pointing me there. But I am aware that the cameras are identical, save for the AA filter. What I am asking for is a quick comment or two on image quality differences from someone who has owned and used both models.
04-20-2021, 10:41 PM   #13

The camera comparison is great but it's till just feature lists side-by-side. In everyone's experience are older bodies (K5) sturdier and sealed more throughly than the newer ones (K3)? In other words was Pentax at that time improving ruggedness or cutting costs?
04-20-2021, 11:21 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
The difference in pictures between the K5 and K5S should not be obvious without close inspection. There was a reason they went to the expense of putting an AA filter in there; they thought there was a benefit overall. I suspect you may have other issues with either the lenses, mount or focusing and anti shake, for example.
04-21-2021, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #15
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chriswill Quote
yes - sturdy

yes - takes amazing shots (with clarity and micro-contrast)

yes - definitely a valid choice, even in 2021...