Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Should I buy this K-5 this week?
Buy It! The price is too good! 1241.38%
Meh. Could go either way. 1034.48%
Don't buy it—you've already got a capable camera (Panasonic G80). 724.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2021, 11:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
... has the OP done the research on the K 5 yet? ...
Thanks so much for the links—I've done some reading around these forums and that 'Net, but I just wanted to hear everyone's opinions!

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
... If you shoot raw or intend too the K5 IQ will smoke the G80 no question. If you do a lot of hiking or extended outdoor shooting the K5 will outlast the G80 and be perfectly at home in wet weather. ...
I've only recently started shooting RAW and working in post-processing, but I could see myself doing that more often in the future. I also do enjoy getting out for a walk or hike regardless of the weather. Part of the reason that I got the G80 is that it's a good weather-sealed body that was within my budget, but I gather that Pentax bodies might be significantly more robust in this respect.

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
... I'd buy if I were in your shoes. ...
Thanks for the opinion—especially since you're someone with Panasonic experience!

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
... If the g80 fits your needs, why not pick up another m43 body and lens so you can share equipment? There are plenty of inexpensive bodies/kits on eBay or other sites. ...
This is a great point—I am known amongst my friends to be a wee bit impulsive, so I think I got swept away thinking that my neighbor's offer was an unmissable one. Your logical recommendation of looking into other m43 bodies or lenses has me reconsidering a little bit

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
... If should buy the kit and found out you’re not liking it, you could resell it for about the same price. So, you might not need it but not much to lose either by trying it… ...
Thanks for the thought!

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
... Do you have an adapter so you can use your "vintage K-mount glass" on your G80?
I do have a 'cheap and cheerful' Fotodiox adapter that at least lets me use my K-mount lenses. They're nothing spectacular, but it's fun to work with them on the G80!

QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
... I have used my daughter's Olympus Pen system and was really impressed by the images it produced -- and it's an older model with only 12MP sensor I think ...
As a matter of fact, I carried a battered, yet capable, Olympus E-PM1 with me all around the world as my primary camera over the past 9 years before deciding to upgrade to my G80. The weather-sealing you alluded to in your reply is important to me, so that's one of the reasons that I'm considering a used Pentax body now.

QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
... Agree that raw files are great - I like my K5II raw files more than I like the ones from my Nikon D7200 - less noise and better color depth. If you like thinner depth of field and WR, that would be additional purchase reasons. Better noise and dynamic range would likely also be available to you via the K5, I am pretty sure. ...
These are all very helpful observations. You might be right that I could have a go by buying the set and then advertising it here on the forums if things don't work out...

QuoteOriginally posted by akptc Quote
Are you kidding? Is that even a question? BUY IT! and have fun !
Since when does common sense enter into camera gear acquisition
Since my wife and I have our first child due in June, apparently

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
... go for it!
Thanks for the reassurances and the enthusiasm!

QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
... Overall it's a pretty fair price in my estimation, and you wouldn't lose money if you decided to sell the whole kit in future.

And as others have said, the dynamic range of the K5 sensor is extremely good -- better than any other digital camera I have used ...
It's nice to hear your international perspective and to have further evidence of the dynamic range benefits!

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The K5 is very durable and very good ...
I appreciate your honest opinion and assessment!

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
Buy it, but $250-$300 is more realistic; ...
Many thanks for the input!

---------- Post added 05-04-21 at 11:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Its not cheap but it is low usage. Have a look on here for known issues then offer him $300
Thanks for the tip! I'll look around for leverage

05-04-2021, 02:33 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given the meh feedback you got on the two lenses, my advice on your getting a K-5 would depend on the extent to which you plan to use the vintage glass you already have. You could probably find a used K-5 without the lenses when some people who are buying new K-3 III cameras start selling off their old cameras.
05-04-2021, 04:54 PM   #18
Pentaxian

The 18-55 lens is worth 50-60 dollars. The 55-200 about 70-80. I'd say the K5 about 225.

I would personally not go for it. The lenses are so-so and you would be paying the going rate for them.
Having a baby means you'll be taking a lot of pictures indoors. The K5 has issues focusing in artificial light, it's its weak spot.

I would get a K5II which solves the AF issue, and the SMC DA 35mm f2.4 (about 60-80 dollars) will give you stunning baby pictures. Some people don't like the lens but its skin tones and sharpness are fantastic. So much better than those kit lenses.
05-04-2021, 06:30 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd go for it but only if I could get it for around $250 - 280, even though it's low mileage. The K5 is a great camera but I think there's better bang for your buck out there. Especially in the marketplace here, you might just need to be patient.

05-04-2021, 06:42 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No.
If it was K-5lls then definitely YES.
05-04-2021, 07:21 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
With that many actuations, it's practically new. Solid camera for sure.
05-05-2021, 12:55 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
... You could probably find a used K-5 without the lenses when some people who are buying new K-3 III cameras start selling off their old cameras. ...
Point taken—thanks for the reply!

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
... I would personally not go for it. The lenses are so-so and you would be paying the going rate for them.
Having a baby means you'll be taking a lot of pictures indoors. The K5 has issues focusing in artificial light, it's its weak spot.

I would get a K5II which solves the AF issue, and the SMC DA 35mm f2.4 (about 60-80 dollars) will give you stunning baby pictures. ...
Knowing that it's not a 'bargain to beat all bargains' and that it's artificial-light performance leaves a bit to be desired may just push me in a different direction. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
... The K5 is a great camera but I think there's better bang for your buck out there. Especially in the marketplace here, you might just need to be patient. ...
Thanks for the advice—I'll do my best to wait things out. Cooler heads may yet prevail

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
No.
If it was K-5lls then definitely YES.
A response that is straightforward and to the point—thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by SimplyCreativePhotography Quote
With that many actuations, it's practically new. Solid camera for sure.
My sentiments exactly! Hopefully it's next owner will make good use of it, whether that's me or someone else!

05-05-2021, 01:00 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with ChristianRock's opinion. The Kitlenses are o.k.... but not more.
The K5II or K5IIs is that much better, particular for low-light and inside.
A good cheap AF-prime such as the DA50/1,8 or slightly better the SMC50/1,7 will give you more fun.
If an A-lens without AF would do it as well, the legendary SMC A50/2,8macro is a fanastic starter as well, very small and just 1:2 macro but a gem!
Maybe you find one with a DA18-135, a good quiet allround-lens.

But if you plan to go more seriously into it then one day you might want to have the DA55-300PLM which is a KAF4 lens!
Neither K5 can drive this lens which was an unforgiveable neglectance by Ricoh because it would have just needed a firmware update.
Then you might want a K3, K30/50/KS2 or K70

And yet, the K5IIs to me was one of the best Pentax ever. As another member stated: "It has that pixiedust"
I sold my K5IIs for the KP because I still had a K5II. I was able to sell it and for a fantastic low price got a K5IIs with damaged LCD which was easy to repair.
05-05-2021, 01:32 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the K5 , K1 , 645 and few others, but I take the K5 with a few DA primes when I need to pack light and don't want to compromise on IQ. You may want to check the style of photography that you plan to do and then decide, which way you want to lean; in almost all cases K5 + a few DA primes will smoke panasonic in IQ and will perform in adverse weather conditions. IF you are realively new to photography, then you may want to use this as your stepping stone and maximise your experience with K5 + lenses which you are getting at a decent price. in any case all the best.
05-05-2021, 07:58 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got the 50-200; not a good lens in my opinion. very disappointing. K5 is rather old.
05-06-2021, 12:37 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
... And yet, the K5IIs to me was one of the best Pentax ever. As another member stated: "It has that pixiedust"
Thanks for sharing your experience and opinions. I may have to keep an eye out for a K5ii or iis.

QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
... You may want to check the style of photography that you plan to do and then decide, which way you want to lean; in almost all cases K5 + a few DA primes will smoke panasonic in IQ and will perform in adverse weather conditions...
Thanks for your advice. I will probably reflect a bit more before making a final decision.

QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
I got the 50-200; not a good lens in my opinion. very disappointing. K5 is rather old.
I appreciate the honesty. I am slightly concerned about the K5 age factor but am considering the purchase because of the good reputation it has (primarily seen on these forums).
05-06-2021, 12:42 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a vote in favour of the 50-200mm. I have one of the newer wr versions and it produces excellent images. I think it needs to be calibrated thoroughly but once you do it is pretty good. It is a budget lens and will never stack up to a DA* but my £50 got me a lightweight, weather sealed, decent mid range zoom that I don't worry about.
05-06-2021, 01:05 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by archaeodude Quote
Originally posted by vijaykishan Quote... You may want to check the style of photography that you plan to do and then decide, which way you want to lean; in almost all cases K5 + a few DA primes will smoke panasonic in IQ and will perform in adverse weather conditions...Thanks for your advice. I will probably reflect a bit more before making a final decision.
Excellent decision. Do not feel to shy to ask questions we are here to help and share all the info we have; the final decision as you rightly pointed out, is yours . If you let us know what path you initially plan to tread (Landscape / Macro / Portraits / mix-of-all-3 etc), we can possibly point to or share examples of the same that were created using the K5. The camera may be old-ish, but as long as it works for YOU, IMHO it should be on your list.
05-07-2021, 04:49 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Here's a vote in favour of the 50-200mm. I have one of the newer wr versions and it produces excellent images. I think it needs to be calibrated thoroughly but once you do it is pretty good. It is a budget lens and will never stack up to a DA* but my £50 got me a lightweight, weather sealed, decent mid range zoom that I don't worry about.
The weather-sealing aspect certainly is attractive, and I think you have a point about getting a capable lens at a budget-friendly price. Thanks for sharing your experience!

QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
Excellent decision. Do not feel to shy to ask questions we are here to help and share all the info we have; the final decision as you rightly pointed out, is yours . If you let us know what path you initially plan to tread (Landscape / Macro / Portraits / mix-of-all-3 etc), we can possibly point to or share examples of the same that were created using the K5. The camera may be old-ish, but as long as it works for YOU, IMHO it should be on your list.
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I have enjoyed the posting and feedback on the forum thus far, and it seems like a very amiable and welcoming group!
05-16-2021, 11:23 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, not that anyone will care all that much: I decided not to purchase my neighbor's K5 bundle. He wouldn't budge on the price, and truth be told, my wife and I don't have loads of extra moolah at the moment.

I think my Panny is more than capable of delivering a few good shots here and there, and I'll keep my eyes open for Pentaxians selling off older kit now that the K-3 III has come out (as some of you posters have suggested).

Thanks again to everyone for their advice!