Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Should I buy this K-5 this week?
Buy It! The price is too good! 1241.38%
Meh. Could go either way. 1034.48%
Don't buy it—you've already got a capable camera (Panasonic G80). 724.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2021, 04:47 PM   #31
Forum Member

do it, what's to lose

07-19-2021, 12:14 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by loji Quote
do it, what's to lose
It wasn't a great deal so the op passed. We are waiting for the next installment
07-19-2021, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
It wasn't a great deal so the op passed. We are waiting for the next installment
Imagine my surprise when I logged in this morning to find that forum members were waiting on the 'next installment' of this saga

In fact, I did end up purchasing a secondhand K-5 bundle with 5,000 shutters shuttered from the electronic-bay. The total cost was $375 USD for the body, a Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4, a Manfrotto Tripod, a carry case, and various original K-5 accessories. This was a slightly more expensive deal that the original one from my neighbor, but I was thinking that $275 USD is the going rate for the 17-70 lens and that $100 USD for the K-5 body is a relatively good price.

Thanks again to everyone who provided their opinions in the first place—the camera-derie and helpfulness of this forum has played a large part in my interest in Pentax gear!
07-19-2021, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

This deal was clearly much better. Enjoy your new K5 and the Sigma 17-70! Manfrotto tripod is really the icing on the cake.

07-19-2021, 08:35 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That was a good deal and the Sigma lens is a step up over the kit lenses in your original deal. I think you did pretty well and the K-5 should allow you to learn quite a bit.

Now make sure to post some pictures
07-20-2021, 12:43 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
This deal was clearly much better. Enjoy your new K5 and the Sigma 17-70! Manfrotto tripod is really the icing on the cake.
Thanks for the confirmation and input! I've got my eye on a competitively-priced used HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WRon display at my local camera shop, as I think it would be the perfect complement to the Sigma. If I make that purchase, then I think I will just get out there and shoot for several months before buying anything else!

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
That was a good deal and the Sigma lens is a step up over the kit lenses in your original deal. I think you did pretty well and the K-5 should allow you to learn quite a bit.

Now make sure to post some pictures
Thanks for the encouragement—I'm planning to get some photos uploaded into my profile sometime soon!
07-20-2021, 01:28 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by archaeodude Quote
Thanks for the confirmation and input! I've got my eye on a competitively-priced used HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WRon display at my local camera shop, as I think it would be the perfect complement to the Sigma. If I make that purchase, then I think I will just get out there and shoot for several months before buying anything else!

Thanks for the encouragement—I'm planning to get some photos uploaded into my profile sometime soon!
I am currently doing a single in challenge with that lens. It is stellar! This month I have shot everything from steam trains to backlit grass. It is a super lens at a budget price.

07-21-2021, 01:32 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am currently doing a single in challenge with that lens. It is stellar! This month I have shot everything from steam trains to backlit grass. It is a super lens at a budget price.
Again—this is music to my ears!

My local shoppe is offering a 6-month warranty with the lens, so I think I'm going to pull the trigger—or should I say, 'push the shutter'—on this one today! I'm not sure if the shoppe proprietor fully appreciates how much I can put a lens through its paces in 6 months' time...
07-21-2021, 04:50 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Again—this is music to my ears!

My local shoppe is offering a 6-month warranty with the lens, so I think I'm going to pull the trigger—or should I say, 'push the shutter'—on this one today! I'm not sure if the shoppe proprietor fully appreciates how much I can put a lens through its paces in 6 months' time...
This is my 55-300mm flickr folder. Scroll to the end for the most recent shots. I love this lens

pentax 55-300mm | Flickr
07-22-2021, 12:43 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is my 55-300mm flickr folder. Scroll to the end for the most recent shots. I love this lens

pentax 55-300mm | Flickr
Your pictures certainly illustrate that the lens can produce some wonderful images!

I've made the purchase, so I'll be experimenting with my copy of the HD 55-300 (non-PLM) in the days/weeks/months/years to come!
07-22-2021, 04:52 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your pictures certainly illustrate that the lens can produce some wonderful images!

I've made the purchase, so I'll be experimenting with my copy of the HD 55-300 (non-PLM) in the days/weeks/months/years to come!
Two things, calibrate it with your camera to make sure AF is bang on, and, unless it is really good light, use a monopod or tripod if your shutter speed is likely to be less than 100. Being longish in the body a little bit of wobble really shows up. Enjoy I certainly love my copy
07-23-2021, 08:45 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Two things, calibrate it with your camera to make sure AF is bang on, and, unless it is really good light, use a monopod or tripod if your shutter speed is likely to be less than 100. Being longish in the body a little bit of wobble really shows up. Enjoy I certainly love my copy
I appreciate the advice!

I have tried to read up on this forum about AF calibration, but haven't quite got around to it yet on my new-for-me K-5. It sounds like "dot-tune" is a relatively straightforward and effective method...

Am I correct in thinking that I can save the AF calibration settings for both my Sigma 17-70mm and HD 55-300mm lenses in the camera body itself? In other words, will I have to re-calibrate the AF every time I take a calibrated lens off my camera and start making photographs with another lens?
07-23-2021, 09:10 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

? In other words, will I have to re-calibrate the AF every time I take a calibrated lens off my camera and start making photographs with another lens?
With the k5ii you won’t have to do so if you set the camera to the option that isn’t “apply to all” I think it holds up to 20 lens fa adjustments. This only works with lenses that have a data pin (typically but not exclusively these are autofocus).
07-23-2021, 09:12 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
With the k5ii you won’t have to do so if you set the camera to the option that isn’t “apply to all” I think it holds up to 20 lens fa adjustments. This only works with lenses that have a data pin (typically but not exclusively these are autofocus).
Hmmm—I hope that the same applies with my K-5! (Sadly, my recent purchase was not a K-5ii...)
07-23-2021, 09:24 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmm—I hope that the same applies with my K-5! (Sadly, my recent purchase was not a K-5ii...)
Sorry I misread another post. I think so. It’s been that way for a while. The oldest bodies with af adjustment required debug and only stored a single value. That’s changed over time. Look for af fine adjustment in the k5 menu.