Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-12-2021, 11:54 AM   #1

How to extract firmware from SD card

Trying to update the firmware on my newly purchased K5. Current version is 1.01. Can't figure a way to extract the new version from SD card.. any ideas? thanks

07-12-2021, 12:02 PM   #2

Download the most recent firmware from Ricoh.
Extract the binary file.
Copy the binary file to the Root folder on the SD card (should be nothing in the root folder except perhaps a DCIM folder)

See the video tutorial:
07-12-2021, 12:17 PM   #3

If you mean you want to save the old version to the card I think you need to go into the debug menu. Search the forum on how to get into debug mode for the K-5.
07-12-2021, 12:29 PM   #4
dlhawes

"Extract the binary" means to use a program like WinZip to decompress the file structure encoded within the firmware distribution file.

---------- Post added 2021-07-12 at 12:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If you mean you want to save the old version to the card I think you need to go into the debug menu. Search the forum on how to get into debug mode for the K-5.
No need for all that, just start off by downloading the distribution file to a disk in your computer and unzip it there. Then stick the SD card into the computer's port and copy the binary file to the parent directory of the SD card (e.g., "L:/" or some such - should have a folder called "DCIM" in the same parent directory). Just leave the original on the computer in case you ever need it again.

07-12-2021, 12:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If you download the firmware from Ricoh there is always a step by step manual how to do that. To Unzip the downloaded file, right click on it and choose for unpack all. Take notice of all the warnings and advice Ricoh gives you. So read the guidelines first before attempting the update.
07-12-2021, 02:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fstop18 Quote
Trying to update the firmware on my newly purchased K5. Current version is 1.01. Can't figure a way to extract the new version from SD card.. any ideas? thanks
You probably mean....................."extract the new version to the SD card"

You extract the new version code from the zip file and that extracted code goes onto an SD card for use in updating the camera.
07-12-2021, 04:59 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Note there is different firmware for the K5 vs. K5ii

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/download_digital.html

Provide a formatted SD memory card for the update software.
The download file is self-extracting.
Copy the above Firmware file to the root directory in the SD card.
If your computer does not have a card slot, you can copy the firmware update file by inserting the SD card into your camera and then connecting the camera directly to your computer.
Insert the D-LI90 battery into the camera and confirm the battery is full by battery level indicator then turn the camera off.
Insert the update SD card (prepared in step 1) into the camera (slot 1) and close card cover.
Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button.
"Updates the camera firmware" appears in the LCD monitor.
Ver: 1.00/1.01/1.02/1.03 /1.10 / 1.11/1.20/1.21/1.30/1.40/1.41 →1.42 will be displayed.
Press the four-way controller to select "Start" and press the "OK" button.
"NOW LOADING" appears on the LCD monitor and updating starts.
Please do not under any circumstances switch off the power before the update is completed.
When update is completed, the "COMPLETE" will be displayed at the left bottom of the LCD monitor, then turn the camera off.
Remove the update SD card from the camera.

07-12-2021, 05:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What everyone else has said.
07-12-2021, 08:10 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks y'all, I was trouble getting the unzip portion.
01-19-2022, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #10

Hi

QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
Note there is different firmware for the K5 vs. K5ii

Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

Provide a formatted SD memory card for the update software.
The download file is self-extracting.
Copy the above Firmware file to the root directory in the SD card.
If your computer does not have a card slot, you can copy the firmware update file by inserting the SD card into your camera and then connecting the camera directly to your computer.
Insert the D-LI90 battery into the camera and confirm the battery is full by battery level indicator then turn the camera off.
Insert the update SD card (prepared in step 1) into the camera (slot 1) and close card cover.
Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button.
"Updates the camera firmware" appears in the LCD monitor.
Ver: 1.00/1.01/1.02/1.03 /1.10 / 1.11/1.20/1.21/1.30/1.40/1.41 →1.42 will be displayed.
Press the four-way controller to select "Start" and press the "OK" button.
"NOW LOADING" appears on the LCD monitor and updating starts.
Please do not under any circumstances switch off the power before the update is completed.
When update is completed, the "COMPLETE" will be displayed at the left bottom of the LCD monitor, then turn the camera off.
Remove the update SD card from the camera.

Hello from a newbie
Just a quickie on the above...
I had v1.01 on my K5 and the instructions for the latest (v1.16) omit v1.01 from the list of permitted versions for upgrade. Having looked for ways to ask Ricoh if I should go ahead, I found no way. So I tried it and it works.
HTH someone.
Chris
01-29-2022, 04:29 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_H Quote
Hello from a newbie
Just a quickie on the above...
I had v1.01 on my K5 and the instructions for the latest (v1.16) omit v1.01 from the list of permitted versions for upgrade. Having looked for ways to ask Ricoh if I should go ahead, I found no way. So I tried it and it works.
HTH someone.
Chris
Thanks for posting that. I saw the same and also have v1.01 and was a little worried to proceed!
06-13-2022, 01:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Download the most recent firmware from Ricoh.
Extract the binary file.
Copy the binary file to the Root folder on the SD card (should be nothing in the root folder except perhaps a DCIM folder)

See the video tutorial:
How to Upgrade Firmware in a Pentax DSLR - YouTube
Thank you, I was about to upgrade my K5 and did not find useful info. Always after searching here, there is always great answers/tutorials.