Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2021, 04:47 PM   #1

K-5 broken battery latch

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Took a little spill with my k-5 while hiking and broke the battery latch. $276 quote to get it fixed by the pentax people. They of course won't sell me the part. Used k-5 is about that much on eBay. So my decisions are--duct tape, new/used k-70, go all out and get the K-3 mkiii. Keep or sell the broken k-5? Any other options? I have a decent amount of lenses so I don't want to leave the family. Thanks for your input.

09-06-2021, 05:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Of your options, if you can afford to get the the K-3III, by all means do it.
09-06-2021, 06:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gnewveloce Quote
go all out and get the K-3 mkiii.
My k5ll took a dive, I patched it up and waited for the K3 lll to come out and bought it.
As ramsey said if you can afford it do it. You wont regret it.
09-06-2021, 06:21 PM - 5 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's too bad that the battery door has broken. I had a K5 that gave up the ghost so I saved a few parts "just in case". Contact me in a private message and I will send you the door at no charge.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
09-06-2021, 09:36 PM   #5

Is that the latch on the door or the white catch in the battery compartment?

The battery hook and door cover are out of stock at USCamera.com and they can't buy more but the door catch is in stock:

Pentax 77010-0A0427 Cover Handle | K20D | K-5 | K-7*| USCamera PartsUSCamera

Note the fee on the Precision repair form is just a place holder. The actual cost of the repair can be more or even less. Your card isn't charged until you approve the estimate they come back to you after receiving and inspecting the camera and the repairs are done.
09-06-2021, 09:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would the entire assembly be a better choice? One is available on Ebay

Pentax K-5 Part - Battery Box Assembly | eBay
09-06-2021, 10:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Took a little spill with my k-5 while hiking and broke the battery latch. $276 quote to get it fixed by the pentax people. They of course won't sell me the part. Used k-5 is about that much on eBay. So my decisions are--duct tape, new/used k-70, go all out and get the K-3 mkiii. Keep or sell the broken k-5? Any other options? I have a decent amount of lenses so I don't want to leave the family. Thanks for your input.
From someone with all three cameras :-
If you do decide to update, the K-70, whilst a seriously competent camera, is "ergonomically compact" after the K-5. If you've got bigger hands, you will probably need to adjust to the smaller body.
Both cameras are extremely configurable! It can be advantageous to spend a couple of hours going through the manual and at least making a note of any feature you may want to come back to.
Whatever your final decision … enjoy

09-07-2021, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Cox Quote
That's too bad that the battery door has broken. I had a K5 that gave up the ghost so I saved a few parts "just in case". Contact me in a private message and I will send you the door at no charge.
This is why I love this place.
09-07-2021, 07:13 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Broke the battery latch on my K50, been using gaffers tape to keep it closed.
09-07-2021, 06:03 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies and info. Ray I really appreciate the offer, I am really trying to tell myself that I don't need that new k-3 mkiii. Decisions, decisions.

09-07-2021, 06:59 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I’d say just get the part; if you can fix the K-5 you’ll have a great backup camera to your new K-3iii!
09-07-2021, 07:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for all the replies and info. Ray I really appreciate the offer, I am really trying to tell myself that I don't need that new k-3 mkiii. Decisions, decisions.
Keep it in mind. The offer stands.

I went from a K5 to a K3 to K1 (like them enough to have two), but then I also went from a 645D to a 645Z. And along the way a gaggle of lenses

Whatever your choice the Pentax group here is great!
09-07-2021, 11:59 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With battery latch do you mean the white battery hook:
Pentax 77240-A0017 Battery Hook K-3 K-5 K-7 | USCamera Digital Parts +USCamera
or the black door?

Both parts are easy to exchange and the price of $ 276 is ridicilous high!

For both you just need to take off the bottom cover, the hook is fixed with 1 screw, very direct access.

The door tiny bit more work, you have a spring but it is also straight forward.
12-15-2021, 01:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I broke my battery door on my K-3. It snapped on the narrow part but the hinge was intact. I ended up super gluing it back together has worked great since.
12-15-2021, 10:13 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Cox Quote
Would the entire assembly be a better choice? One is available on Ebay

Pentax K-5 Part - Battery Box Assembly | eBay
That's almost impossible to exchange for the novice.

One must know a lot for something like this. Almost complete disassembly of the K5