Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2021, 07:08 PM   #1

learning the camera

I have had my k5iis for a long time. I was just shooting and not really figuring out how to get the best pictures. After doing some internet searching and reading the manual I have got some things figured out. Now I am wondering if there is any online classes directed specifically at Pentax camera's. I think my camera can do great things but I am really below the learning curve on a lot of things.

10-13-2021, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hey I've got a YouTube channel called PentaxTips...
This one might be a good starter:
10-13-2021, 11:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Online classes for a specific Pentax camera model are likely to be few and far between, unless they are directed at taking advantage of a Pentax-specific feature.
An 'e-book' specifically for your camera is available here Pentax eBooks - PentaxForums.com and is likely to be about as comprehensive a guide you're likely to find.
Unfortunately you have to pay the price to find out if it's what you want/need.
Depending on your position on the learning curve, a generic "Introduction to Digital Photography", "DSLRs for Dummies" or similar book, probably available at a local library, might be worthwhile spending some time with.
The K-5ii is not an ideal camera to learn on, as, other than the cover-all Green Mode, there's no "Scene" modes to help you out, so really depends on a modicum of background experience to learn to get the best out of it.
Having said that, experimentation is cheap with a digital camera, so if you simply get out there and take lots of pictures at lots of different settings, then, when you get home, or even just sit down for a coffee for 10-15 minutes, analyse the pictures for what you prefer and make a note of those settings for next time, you'll improve quite quickly
I under-utilized my K-5 for many years, only really coming to grips with it's capabilities once I'd "upgraded" to a K-70 (in the search for that ever-elusive greener grass), finding things weren't really that much better, then settling down and working through the manual, page by page!
Good luck
10-14-2021, 10:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Hey I've got a YouTube channel called PentaxTips...
This one might be a good starter: https://youtu.be/NR5uOCcT37M
Great. I will check it out. Thanks so much.

---------- Post added 10-14-21 at 11:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Online classes for a specific Pentax camera model are likely to be few and far between, unless they are directed at taking advantage of a Pentax-specific feature.
An 'e-book' specifically for your camera is available here Pentax eBooks - PentaxForums.com and is likely to be about as comprehensive a guide you're likely to find.
Unfortunately you have to pay the price to find out if it's what you want/need.
Depending on your position on the learning curve, a generic "Introduction to Digital Photography", "DSLRs for Dummies" or similar book, probably available at a local library, might be worthwhile spending some time with.
The K-5ii is not an ideal camera to learn on, as, other than the cover-all Green Mode, there's no "Scene" modes to help you out, so really depends on a modicum of background experience to learn to get the best out of it.
Having said that, experimentation is cheap with a digital camera, so if you simply get out there and take lots of pictures at lots of different settings, then, when you get home, or even just sit down for a coffee for 10-15 minutes, analyse the pictures for what you prefer and make a note of those settings for next time, you'll improve quite quickly
I under-utilized my K-5 for many years, only really coming to grips with it's capabilities once I'd "upgraded" to a K-70 (in the search for that ever-elusive greener grass), finding things weren't really that much better, then settling down and working through the manual, page by page!
Good luck
That is what I am finding out. I wanted a different camera that was more automatic but in doing some research I learned by camera is better than what I was going to buy. In just 1 day of sitting down for 30 minutes I have figured out a lot. Now just to take more practice pictures and notes and I think I can get better quality pictures. Thanks for the input.