Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-16-2021, 03:58 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Debug Mode & A/F Fine Adjustment on my K-5

I posted this on another thread but no response, so maybe it was the wrong place to post it.

OK … so I find myself wanting/needing to increase the AF Fine Adjust for one of my lenses on my K-5
I've got into Debug Mode, got to the AF Test menu, scroll down to the 'FocusCorr' and can move the little pointer left and right for + or - um
If I set it for, say, +10, then exit, what next?
Does this shift the whole 'base-line' for all AF Fine Adjustments, meaning I have to re-calibrate for any lenses I use with this camera?
I'm quite happy to spend the time if necessary, but don't want to be "re-inventing the wheel" or making further problems for myself if I've missed something.
A link to a documented procedure for this job would be fine. I've had a bit of a dig around and read a lot of posts but none seem to cover this point in detail.
TIA for any replies

10-16-2021, 06:15 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Does this shift the whole 'base-line' for all AF Fine Adjustments
What were you hoping to accomplish by making the FocusCorr change in debug mode, if not this?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-16-2021 at 06:22 PM.
10-16-2021, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Yes it does. Before doing this I made a spreadsheet with all my lenses and all their fine tuning adjustments. Then after shifting the baseline, I reattached each lens and shifted the fine adjustment the opposite number of steps. Each 10um step in debug will match a single point step in the fine adjustment scale. In my case I had a lens that needed more than -10 fine adjustment, so I shifted the baseline in debug by -30um or 3 steps. That meant a lens that was +2 would now be a +5 to be at the same spot as it was before the debug adjustment.
10-17-2021, 12:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What were you hoping to accomplish by making the FocusCorr change in debug mode, if not this?
Steve
Wasn't sure if there were individual compensations for all 20 lens settings and I'd managed to miss something … I'm quite good at missing things

---------- Post added 10-17-21 at 12:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
Yes it does. Before doing this I made a spreadsheet with all my lenses and all their fine tuning adjustments. Then after shifting the baseline, I reattached each lens and shifted the fine adjustment the opposite number of steps. Each 10um step in debug will match a single point step in the fine adjustment scale. In my case I had a lens that needed more than -10 fine adjustment, so I shifted the baseline in debug by -30um or 3 steps. That meant a lens that was +2 would now be a +5 to be at the same spot as it was before the debug adjustment.
Exactly the answer I was looking for and anticipated … thanks for the confirmation, I will proceed, happy with my new-found knowledge
Thanks again!

06-13-2022, 01:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
Thanks Vector for the explanation. Very helpful