Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2021, 11:41 AM   #16
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
-- I have purchased dozens of lenses from KEH. My suggestion is to stick w/ their bargain condition ones. They are as good as the excellent rated ones, as regards usability, and generally look about as good also, but are quite a bit lower in price. (I actually have done very well with their Ugly rated ones, but this is hit or miss--but over the long haul leads to real savings--not a good idea when one just wants one lens.)
-- For that matter I believe (no way to prove this) a very good looking older lens means it is more likely to have issuses/not be so good optically, and thus was not used. A well used lens from a professional in fact is often ideal--looks terrible, thus low price, but optically obviously he/she liked it.
-- My opinion, of the usual ways/sources to purchase (not counting Pentax Forums, that I have not used) with KEH the probability is high the lens will be good.
-- Anyway when you get the lens check it out--I have found problems w/ their lenses sometimes (no matter if it was exc, exc+, or bgn), but I would say usually they are fine. (And you can return it, and even get shipping refunded if there is an optical or physical problem.) Especially do optical checks (like for decentering) as sellers usually do physical checking but not optical testing.

11-17-2021, 11:50 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
.....the older screw-drive Pentax DA55-300 f/4-5.8 will provide greater reach at 300mm. I'm a big fan of this inexpensive lens, and whilst it benefits considerably from stopping down, you can shoot it wide open - 300mm @ f/5.8 - and still get decent results ..........
The Pentax DA55-300 f/4-5.8 is indeed a very good lens!!! It surprises me each time I use it. It is a shame the screw-drive is a bit loud but other than that.....
11-17-2021, 12:08 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by karrolann Quote
Thank you all for the great suggestions. I am leaning on getting a new lens for now. I am looking at the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8. Has anyone bought a used lens off the KEH Camera website? Or any other suggestions on where to buy a used lens?
Yes. And Adorama and B&H and MPB.com also. All have been good experiences. The only negative experiences have been with eBay. The marketplace here is also great.
11-17-2021, 05:47 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Alternatively, the older screw-drive Pentax DA55-300 f/4-5.8 will provide greater reach at 300mm. I'm a big fan of this inexpensive lens, and whilst it benefits considerably from stopping down, you can shoot it wide open - 300mm @ f/5.8 - and still get decent results (better than your existing Tamron lens).
Another vote for this lens; I still use it for my K-5 and used it for my K-3 II until I got the 55-300 PLM with great results.

11-17-2021, 08:14 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cobbu2 Quote
Another vote for this lens; I still use it for my K-5 and used it for my K-3 II until I got the 55-300 PLM with great results.
While the focus speed is slower - it is faster optically and has quick shift (non-DAL versions) and comes in an HD WR version as well as a standard DA version. I use my plain old DA version frequently when I want to travel lighter.
11-18-2021, 05:51 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess the question is are you in the stands or on the field?

If you are on the field a fast (wide f2.8) 70-200 (on APSC) is probably what you are looking for. It allows you enough reach to get most of the action on the field but also is wide enough to be able to get some side line pictures.
I am currently running a KP with the DFA* 70-200 to take pics of my sons Freshman games

This is a heavy lens so I also use a light weight monopod, this allows me some mobility but also keeps me from trying to steady that heavy lens for the entire game.

If you are in the stands I would suggest a longer lens.

My wife was up in the stands this year with our old Kr and a (budget) Sigma 70-210 (f4-5.6) and there were plenty of times she just did not have enough reach and at 12mp there wasn't enough cropping.

But together we were able to get a good combination of on the field action and wider overview of the game shots with this combo.

While I haven't used it, the Tamron 70-20 f2.8 you are looking at was also a lens I thought about picking up, and should do well.
Really the only reason I didn't go that rout was the weather sealing, the thought of getting caught out on the field in a pop up shower swung me over to the DFA*
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
10-04-2022, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #22

Original Poster
Well I have finally made the decision on a new lens. I purchased the Pentax HD PENTAX D FA* 70-200mm f/2.8 ED DC AW. It will be here the day that I leave for a football game so there won't be much time for me to practice with this lens. Any suggestions on what setting I should use to shoot the football game. I will be close to the sidelines and it will be dark. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will be shooting with my Pentax K5iis.