Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2021, 10:48 AM   #1

Upgrading lens for football

I am looking to upgrade my lens. Mostly for football (outdoor mostly night games low lighting) / basketball (indoor). I currently have a Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 lens. I would like something a little faster and more zoom.

Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions on what lens would be the best.

11-16-2021, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a few new lenses (like the D FA 70-210mm and the DA 55-300mm PLM) that I'd recommend but unfortunately aren't fully compatible with the K-5.

That leaves us with this one, which is certainly a solid lens for sports and will get you both more reach and a bit more speed:

HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-16-2021, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd be tempted to suggest a used Tamron 70-200 f/2.8. It won't bring your subjects any closer, but it'll let in a whole lot more light. You can shoot it at f/2.8, but for better results f/4 would be preferable. If you find you really do need more magnification, then a used 1.4x AF tele-converter or Pentax' own HD DA 1.4x rear converter could be added, increasing focal length to 280mm at the long end. It will steal a stop of light, however.

Alternatively, the older screw-drive Pentax DA55-300 f/4-5.8 will provide greater reach at 300mm. I'm a big fan of this inexpensive lens, and whilst it benefits considerably from stopping down, you can shoot it wide open - 300mm @ f/5.8 - and still get decent results (better than your existing Tamron lens).

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-16-2021 at 09:00 PM.
11-16-2021, 11:44 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Along those lines, the D FA* 70-200mm is also a worthy contender. The image quality is the best in class and you also benefit from faster/quieter AF.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-16-2021, 11:46 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by karrolann Quote
I am looking to upgrade my lens. Mostly for football (outdoor mostly night games low lighting) / basketball (indoor). I currently have a Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 lens. I would like something a little faster and more zoom.

Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions on what lens would be the best.
Just remember that a faster lens will give you more light yes, but will also mean that your focussing will need to be more accurate to get the shots you want due to narrower DOF.

I second the advice for the Pentax 150-450, but would add that if you really want to make it count you will do better combining it with a camera that has improved AF and high ISO capability, like the K3 III

Expensive recommendation I know, but there are no short cuts here.
11-16-2021, 11:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Your Tamron is a good lens (I've got one), but as you've found, a little slow at the long end.
My alternative, for a "bit more light", is my Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8, which can be used with a 1.5x or a 2x teleconverter for 300mm f/4 or 400mm f/5.6 respectively.
Lenses that are longer/wider than your Tamron will usually be heavier, some significantly so, a point that may need consideration if that's likely to be a problem.
Good luck
11-16-2021, 02:55 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Along those lines, the D FA* 70-200mm is also a worthy contender. The image quality is the best in class and you also benefit from faster/quieter AF.
more information on the D FA * 70-200mm F2.8 and a comparison with the Tamron 70-200mm can be found in this " In Depth Review ":

QuoteQuote:
HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW
.. . . A 70-200mm lens serves many purposes, especially on full frame. It can be used for portraits (both outside and in a studio), sports, weddings, photojournalism, wildlife, concerts and shows. Such a lens also comes with high expectations. Photographers will expect a high level of optical performance, fast AF, and high reliability.. . .

Pentax used almost every optical technology available to it in this 70-200mm lens. From the premium HD and Aerobright II coatings, to Super Protect on the front element, silent DC focusing, internal focusing and zooming, extra-low dispersion glass and of course weather sealing, this member of the star (*) line is intended as an advanced, professional tool with no half-measures.

In this 15-page review we will look in detail at the HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm, covering all its physical characteristics, features and controls, as well as fundamental aspects of its optical performance. We also perform a direct optical and real-world comparison between the Pentax lens and the Tamron 70-200mm. How good is the D FA* lens alongside its main competitor? . . .

Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

11-16-2021, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My suggestion is that an upgrade to the camera will yield better results.

K-70 or KP or K3iii
more pixels allows more cropping; better focus from these than the K-5; better low iso handling which means your current lens will work better. Later you can add something like the 55-300 PLM as it will be compatible with the newer camera.
11-16-2021, 04:09 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

there is of course an option to rent, either a camera or lens or both

QuoteQuote:
Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent
an issue has arisen, at least in my small mind, that it might be helpful for members to know what businesses reliably offer rental of cameras, lenses and other gear
Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

yes there is a cost but the OP would get hands on experience

here is an email I have received from LensRental.com:
QuoteQuote:
Introducing the new Keeper (we sell used gear now)

Keeper is evolving to now include direct purchasing! No longer just a way to purchase your rental (though you can still do that with Keeper Test Drive), you can now buy gear from us upfront. Just click ‘Buy’ in the top right-hand corner of the product page to view stock and pricing information. Items are tested and rated for cosmetics, performance, and glass quality so you know exactly what you’re getting.

Lensrentals Keeper
LOVE IT? KEEP IT!

No longer just rentals, we now offer direct purchasing! The same inspection and customer service you’ve come to expect from Lensrentals, now for used gear sales and more!

Keeper Test Drive

TRY IT, THEN KEEP IT.

Keeper Test Drive is now one of two ways to buy from Lensrentals! Take gear for a test drive rental and if you love it, keep it. We’ll even take up to 7 days of rental fees off the purchase price.
11-16-2021, 04:14 PM   #10
Pentaxian

High school football? Can you get near the side lines or will you be some distance from the field? Depth of field will also be an issue with the 150-450 since it gets shallower at longer focal lengths. If your close to the side line I suggest a 70-200 F/2.8, unless your planning on printing large you can always crop a little. I have had some pretty good pics with the DA* 50-135, sure i wish it was a little longer and faster to focus but you can overcome a few minor weaknesses with the right technique.
11-16-2021, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think your best bet Karolann, is a secondhand Tamron or Sigma 70-200 f2.8.

f2.8 is going to capture more than four times the light of your current setup, so you have benefits in how high you can raise your shutter speed without hurting your image with high ISO grain.

200mm is more than enough for basketball, and is fine for football if you can walk along the sidelines.

You did not mention a new body but there are some huge benefits if you shoot with the new K-3 III instead of your K-5.
11-16-2021, 06:13 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think your best bet Karolann, is a secondhand Tamron or Sigma 70-200 f2.8.

f2.8 is going to capture more than four times the light of your current setup, so you have benefits in how high you can raise your shutter speed without hurting your image with high ISO grain.

200mm is more than enough for basketball, and is fine for football if you can walk along the sidelines.

You did not mention a new body but there are some huge benefits if you shoot with the new K-3 III instead of your K-5.
The low iso gains may even out the differences in the lenses other than optical quality. f6.3 is 2 and 2/3 stops slower than f2.8 and f3.5 is 2/3 of stop slower than f2.8 - so the gains are variable with the 2.8 lens but up to nearly 3 stops. KP and K3iii both have more than 2 and 2/3 stop advantage with the accelerator chip - of course good raw processing with a nice noise reduction program also works wonders for the K-5...

I just think the investment for the f2.8 lens is high enough that a body may be the better choice overall.
11-16-2021, 06:34 PM   #13
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More zoom? If you mean wider focal length range--no, not with larger aperture, and generally not w/ good image.
Maybe you should consider a fixed focal length telephoto to supplement what you have.
11-17-2021, 07:36 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you all for the great suggestions. I am leaning on getting a new lens for now. I am looking at the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8. Has anyone bought a used lens off the KEH Camera website? Or any other suggestions on where to buy a used lens?
11-17-2021, 08:51 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I am leaning on getting a new lens for now. I am looking at the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8. Has anyone bought a used lens off the KEH Camera website? Or any other suggestions on where to buy a used lens?
keh.com

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/?

Adorama,com

LensRental.com

might have used lens

and the forums' market place " buy/sell " as well

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com