Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2022, 07:34 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
built-in (or external) mic volume on the K5

Hi all,

I checked the forum, the manual, and all the menus, and it seems that the K5 doesn't actually have a microphone volume recording setting, is that correct?

If I interpret the manual/menus etc correctly, all you can change is the playback setting.

It seems that it has just one recording setting which is "really soft" Though I didn't (and probably won't try) with an external microphone.

This isn't the greatest video camera anyway, but I use it for a short recording every once in a while.

Last edited by pimpim; 02-22-2022 at 07:48 AM.
02-22-2022, 09:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pimpim Quote
Hi all,
I checked the forum, the manual, and all the menus, and it seems that the K5 doesn't actually have a microphone volume recording setting, is that correct?
If I interpret the manual/menus etc correctly, all you can change is the playback setting.
It seems that it has just one recording setting which is "really soft" Though I didn't (and probably won't try) with an external microphone. This isn't the greatest video camera anyway, but I use it for a short recording every once in a while.

It would appear you are correct re the internal microphone … I've not tried an external mic either, indeed, I can probably count the times I've ever tried to make a movie with my K-5 on the fingers of one foot
02-22-2022, 10:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

This is a topic that's come up before. An external mike will still be affected by the camera's AGC, so one solution would be a standalone recorder and sync video and audio in post.
02-22-2022, 12:43 PM   #4

Original Poster
thanks for the confirmation, just wondered if maybe I missed something. It's very Pentax to add a mic-in jack but don't plan to put any volume controls

03-04-2022, 10:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks for the confirmation, just wondered if maybe I missed something. It's very Pentax to add a mic-in jack but don't plan to put any volume controls
Volume-control for recording would either mean "worsening of the recordingquality" or the camera having to be quite a bit larger.
Better recording quality needs a seperate decoupled microphone on the top of the camera.
Decoupling is essential

About the video-quality of the K5, we once had an interesting thread:
K30 vs K5 in relation to video - PentaxForums.com

It isn't that bad, but the K-01 was superior until the K-70 came out.
03-07-2022, 04:37 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Volume-control for recording would either mean "worsening of the recordingquality" or the camera having to be quite a bit larger.
Better recording quality needs a seperate decoupled microphone on the top of the camera.
Decoupling is essential
So I looked at this a lot, but in the end I figured that for the small video clips of my family I will mostly stick to internal mic audio. Good enough for now, makes it possible to quickly grab camera and record, instead of building up a whole rig every time

But for future reference, any easy and cheap and not too CPU demanding software to align external audio to video?
03-08-2022, 06:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But for future reference, any easy and cheap and not too CPU demanding software to align external audio to video?
When I have worked with recording, this was mainly pure analog, we used Telefunken M10's and sometimes Amperex + Studer.
Vintage Neumann tube-microphones with Telefunken V76 tube microphone-preamps.
Equipment still standing out these days, or... better... unsurpassed.

Digital recording was then with professional DAT machines.

So I am not the right person to ask for software. I think you might need different forums for that field.
One of my sons has a studio and records as well but he works with professional software which is very expensive.

03-09-2022, 03:33 AM   #8

Original Poster
ok, will try to find one of those desks to cut my audio tape and align it with my 35mm film spools

In the mean time I just work with suboptimal audio and it's ok for my family videos

But in all fairness: audio is in my opinion much harder to improve than video, even with external recorders so many sources of noise and buzzing, and actually would need different setups depending on how to deal with ambient noise, distance to the subject, etc etc.