Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2022, 09:19 AM   #1

K-5 Strange mechanical malfunction.

Hello, I have been using the K-5 for over 10 years, during this time I have taken over 15,000 photos with this particular model. Previously, I had other Pentax models, but this was the first time I encountered such a defect.
The front function wheel did rotate, but it did not change the functions in the camera.
At first, I thought it was a software problem, because lately I've been playing with manual lenses a lot. But after the software reset and uploading the new software again, the circle did not change anything.
As the body is quite old, I decided to take it apart. And it turned out that the wheel has a broken axle.
A strange thing, but I managed to stick the axle to the wheel and assemble the whole thing correctly.

My question is whether anyone has had such a case with this model, or with another Pentax.
And does Ricoh sell spare parts for its cameras to potential home service technicians?

03-05-2022, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you mean the front thumbwheel?

Ricoh won't sell to privat people, the wheel is identical with the ones of the K5II and K5IIs.
K7 wheel is slightly different but could possibly be taken apart to fit.
Attached Images

03-05-2022, 12:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks photogem for the answer, I thought it could be the same with the K5 II. So it's only left to look on the pre-market, but probably no one sells normally.
So far I managed to stick the axle to the ball and it works , but it is not known for how long.
Attached Images

03-05-2022, 12:30 PM   #4

Original Poster
But it's still a very strange thing for me, how it could break under normal use.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-N975F  Photo 
03-05-2022, 03:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have bought Pentax parts from US Camera before. I am not sure if you have checked with them yet, if you need a part at this point, or if they have that specific part, but if you would like to contact them, below is a shortcut to the contact page.

Contact - USCameraUSCamera
03-05-2022, 09:00 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gracek Quote
But it's still a very strange thing for me, how it could break under normal use.
A bump in the bag? These things happen.

Steve
03-05-2022, 09:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So it's the back-thumbwheel. How did you fix it? Superclue?
I think if superclue melts the plastic and then it is firm again it might work.

I guess it broke due to some diagonal stress onto the wheel. Rare but can happen.

03-06-2022, 12:32 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks C_Jones for contacting to US Camera, I will ask them if they have this part.

No photogem This is the front wheel that you zoom in on and use functionally for ISO and white balance. Anyway, you can also program them as you want. So you use it very often.

I glued this shaft with cyanacrylic glue that connects the materials by dissolving them.

It looks solid, but it is known not to be the original.

I suspect that the axle has broken off, because this wheel has grease and a metal ball inside. Probably over the years of use, the grease has evaporated. And the ball caused the resistance to be greater friction, and that is enough for this tiny shaft to break off.
Attached Images

03-06-2022, 02:42 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As I understand it, cyanoacrylates do not "melt" plastics, but bond with the surface. Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) is commonly used as a solvent for plastics to join parts by dissolving and then setting. Different solvents may be required for different plastics.

The red arrow above points towards what I would describe as the rear thumbwheel, the front one being that close to the shutter release. The front being where the lens is mounted. Just to clarify.
03-06-2022, 12:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gracek Quote
No photogem This is the front wheel that you zoom in on and use functionally for ISO and white balance. Anyway, you can also program them as you want. So you use it very often.
This is called the back-e-dial! The back of your Pentax is that part with the LCD, the front is were the lens is:
Attached Images