Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2022, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #1

WR Lens Discussion

Good morning all,

This is such a helpful forum with so many helpful members! I've appreciated being around and asking even the elementary of questions with the results of answers I get from you all.

So I've upgraded.......

I have my K-5 and I keep:
100mm Macro - SMC Pentax D FA 2.8 WR
16-85mm HD Pentax DA 3.5-5.6 ED DC WR - you all seem to know and love
55-300mm HD Pentax DA 4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE - my latest acquisition I have been very pleased with

With the K-5, I'm focusing on WR Lenses only, I'm not even slightly interested in non-WR because I've got enough Outdoor experience and versatility of conditions at times that I don't want to create an avoidable single point of failure in my system. I do have a K-x that's currently in the Shop getting cleaned up for the non-WR applications.

I have found I use the 16-85 for a lot of general photography, but that's mostly because of the light gathering and varying distances.

I started using my 100mm a few days ago, but I really wish I had a 55mm in WR, or something for a good Prime Lens.

However, everything said above, I got my 55-300 Lens and I was nervous with the Reviews stating that because of the APK4 Mount required that I was going to have errors and such interfering with my new Lens. Of course, I upgraded the to the newest Firmware, and I have zero issues, so far.

I'm wondering, what could I do better for broader range of applications, switch out a Lens and work deliberately on certain situations? I think I have everything covered.

What are your recommendations for sticking with a WR that is super fast, like my 50mm (non-WR) that lives with my K-x?

Do you see situations where I should stay away from, other than the obvious of course, with my current WR setup that would be one of those moments along the lines of, "look at that newbie with his camera, that is using THAT Lens for that application when that's the dumbest idea ever?" or another way to say something similar might be, "that Lens does a really bad job in my experience in those _________ (fill in the blank) conditions".

My Telephoto 55-300mm is going to be really handy with all the Outdoors stuff I do. Sooner or later I'll be looking for a Super Telephoto beyond the 300mm Range because I'm in Deer, Elfk, Moose, Brown and Grizzly Bear, Mountain Lion, and then the cute little birds kind of country in Wyoming, USA.

Thank you all!

10-15-2022, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Maybe just get a waterproof camera/lens cover like this one from Optech - Rainsleeve - Camera cover for rain and snow | OP/TECH USA - which will give you freedom to choose whichever lens you want.
10-15-2022, 08:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the lenses you have, there’s not much you can’t do already! They are all very versatile covering everything from mild wide angle to telephoto and all high quality lenses!! Maybe a 10-17, 10-20, or 11-18?? I think the Pentax 11-18 is WR. Good luck and have fun!
10-15-2022, 08:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What do you shoot, what are your interests? - If really needed, a super fast option would be the DA*1.4/55.

10-15-2022, 08:46 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Maybe just get a waterproof camera/lens cover like this one from Optech - Rainsleeve - Camera cover for rain and snow | OP/TECH USA - which will give you freedom to choose whichever lens you want.
Thank you, I've looked at that, but it would get hung up in brush, tree branches, etc., I just don't want the unnecessary bulk (even frilly) or things to worry about, so I've selected WR everything for dusty and occasionally wet environment / situations I'm in regularly.

---------- Post added 10-15-22 at 09:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
What do you shoot, what are your interests? - If really needed, a super fast option would be the DA*1.4/55.
I'm all over the place, and as such carry at least 2 lenses with me at any given time, sometimes all 3. I know that doesn't answer a lot, because it doesn't hone anything in, but landscape and wildlife photography is often what I'm into. Since I've gotten my Macro Lens, I've been capturing more emotion of people and slices of life compared to the overall shots in landscape and sometimes wildlife.

---------- Post added 10-15-22 at 09:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
With the lenses you have, there’s not much you can’t do already! They are all very versatile covering everything from mild wide angle to telephoto and all high quality lenses!! Maybe a 10-17, 10-20, or 11-18?? I think the Pentax 11-18 is WR. Good luck and have fun!
What a great suggestion! I appreciate it! I'll have to look at one sometime, $1,296 is a chunk of change right now.

Last edited by AdkMtnGuy; 10-15-2022 at 08:53 AM.
10-15-2022, 09:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AdkMtnGuy Quote
Thank you, I've looked at that, but it would get hung up in brush, tree branches, etc., I just don't want the unnecessary bulk (even frilly) or things to worry about, so I've selected WR everything for dusty and occasionally wet environment / situations I'm in regularly.

---------- Post added 10-15-22 at 09:50 AM ----------

I'm all over the place, and as such carry at least 2 lenses with me at any given time, sometimes all 3. I know that doesn't answer a lot, because it doesn't hone anything in, but landscape and wildlife photography is often what I'm into. Since I've gotten my Macro Lens, I've been capturing more emotion of people and slices of life compared to the overall shots in landscape and sometimes wildlife.

---------- Post added 10-15-22 at 09:54 AM ----------

What a great suggestion! I appreciate it! I'll have to look at one sometime, $1,296 is a chunk of change right now.
The 11-18 is AW which is better than WR. The price on that one is $1200 I think!!!! I don’t have a lens wider than 18mm, but ultra wide angle is usually used for landscape, Milky Way, sunset, interior shots etc…However, getting creative can mean using a lens in a situation different from it’s “intended purpose”! If you get a unique shot you like, then it doesn’t matter what anyone else says about your lens choice, it is up to you and your eye!! Have fun and happy shooting!
10-15-2022, 09:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

However, everything said above, I got my 55-300 Lens and I was nervous with the Reviews stating that because of the APK4 Mount required that I was going to have errors and such interfering with my new Lens. Of course, I upgraded the to the newest Firmware, and I have zero issues, so far.
The issue with the PLM lens on your K-5 is that you cannot change the aperture. If you are content shooting wide open, then you are fine.

10-15-2022, 09:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The issue with the PLM lens on your K-5 is that you cannot change the aperture. If you are content shooting wide open, then you are fine.
This. The lens will work, but wide open all the time.

Not sure if that will bring issues when shooting in auto & the camera thinks that it's using a certain aperture & sets the shutter speed & exposure for that & then images come out too bright. I figure that if one is in Av, Tav, P, M, or B with the lens open, one shouldn't have issues. I could be wrong, though.
10-15-2022, 10:16 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
The 11-18 is AW which is better than WR. The price on that one is $1200 I think!!!! I don’t have a lens wider than 18mm, but ultra wide angle is usually used for landscape, Milky Way, sunset, interior shots etc…However, getting creative can mean using a lens in a situation different from it’s “intended purpose”! If you get a unique shot you like, then it doesn’t matter what anyone else says about your lens choice, it is up to you and your eye!! Have fun and happy shooting!
I either haven't found the AW versions of the Lenses I have, or decided against them due to price. I'm more for the AW versions for the protection, but I think I'm also limited on the K-5 being WR anyway instead of AW.

Thank you!

---------- Post added 10-15-22 at 11:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
This. The lens will work, but wide open all the time.

Not sure if that will bring issues when shooting in auto & the camera thinks that it's using a certain aperture & sets the shutter speed & exposure for that & then images come out too bright. I figure that if one is in Av, Tav, P, M, or B with the lens open, one shouldn't have issues. I could be wrong, though.
I haven't found that to be the case yet, which is interesting, because there we cautions around the internet about this, but I have not successfuly created the conditions yet that have made this an issue, so far, in my shooting.
10-15-2022, 04:13 PM   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I really wish I had a 55mm in WR, or something for a good Prime Lens.
SMC Pentax-DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database (this is the lens @acoufap was referring to)
HD Pentax-D FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Each of these is AW. The DFA 50 is probably overkill for your applications, but the DA 55 is worth considering.
My Telephoto 55-300mm is going to be really handy with all the Outdoors stuff I do.
It is very handy, but you might get sick of not being able to stop down the aperture with the K-5 when shooting landscapes.
Sooner or later I'll be looking for a Super Telephoto beyond the 300mm Range because I'm in Deer, Elfk, Moose, Brown and Grizzly Bear, Mountain Lion, and then the cute little birds kind of country in Wyoming, USA.
WR or AW options are the DA*300mm f4 (and DA 1.4x teleconverter), DFA 150-450 and DA 560. That's it, I think.

Last edited by Des; 10-15-2022 at 05:03 PM.
10-17-2022, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
SMC Pentax-DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database (this is the lens @acoufap was referring to)
HD Pentax-D FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Each of these is AW. The DFA 50 is probably overkill for your applications, but the DA 55 is worth considering.

It is very handy, but you might get sick of not being able to stop down the aperture with the K-5 when shooting landscapes.

WR or AW options are the DA*300mm f4 (and DA 1.4x teleconverter), DFA 150-450 and DA 560. That's it, I think.
Thank you! I will explore these options and report back ASAP.

I appreciate the time of all of you!
10-17-2022, 02:59 PM   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I will explore these options and report back ASAP.
If you were going to shell out $$$$ on a 150-450 or 560, you might as well also get a K-3iii, for the superior AF. If you were going for a cheaper option (e.g. a secondhand DA*300 and TC), it would still be worth considering a 24mp body (e.g. a K-3ii or KP - a grip is available for each of them too) for the extra pixels (more scope for cropping, which is a norm with shooting wildlife).

The other thing I'd add is that, as you no doubt have found, with wildlife shots light isn't always optimal. I find that a flash with an extender (e.g. Magmod wildlife kit) can help. Some people use colour filters on the flash (see YouTube videos about this). At times you will also need to push the ISO, to maintain adequate shutter speeds. The KP (or even K-70) has better high ISO than the K-3 or K-3ii, because of the accelerator unit. The recent generation of AI-based processing software (e.g. Topaz, DxO PhotoLab, etc) has done wonders for noise reduction, while preserving detail (making 3200, 6400 or even higher a viable option where required). I think this is becoming an essential tool for the wildlife photographer.

Last edited by Des; 10-17-2022 at 03:10 PM.
10-17-2022, 06:38 PM   #13

Original Poster
If you were going to shell out $$$$ on a 150-450 or 560, you might as well also get a K-3iii, for the superior AF. If you were going for a cheaper option (e.g. a secondhand DA*300 and TC), it would still be worth considering a 24mp body (e.g. a K-3ii or KP - a grip is available for each of them too) for the extra pixels (more scope for cropping, which is a norm with shooting wildlife).

The other thing I'd add is that, as you no doubt have found, with wildlife shots light isn't always optimal. I find that a flash with an extender (e.g. Magmod wildlife kit) can help. Some people use colour filters on the flash (see YouTube videos about this). At times you will also need to push the ISO, to maintain adequate shutter speeds. The KP (or even K-70) has better high ISO than the K-3 or K-3ii, because of the accelerator unit. The recent generation of AI-based processing software (e.g. Topaz, DxO PhotoLab, etc) has done wonders for noise reduction, while preserving detail (making 3200, 6400 or even higher a viable option where required). I think this is becoming an essential tool for the wildlife photographer.
Thank you! I really appreciate it!
10-18-2022, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Yes, the DA *55 is a great lens on APS-C and it is pretty cheap used (I should know, I'm selling one right now )
10-24-2022, 12:37 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Yes, the DA *55 is a great lens on APS-C and it is pretty cheap used (I should know, I'm selling one right now )
I would have bought yours if I had seen your reply before I ordered and received mine.

---------- Post added 10-24-22 at 01:40 PM ----------

I've gotten some great photography opportunities lately, nd I'll compile some photos to show you all the goods soon.