Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2022, 05:42 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-5 to take pictures of my dog.

Hi all,

I'm new on the Pentax world, but I remember my father used to have a Pentax and a Minolta film cameras back in the 80's.

I'm starting a new business in 2023 and I need a camera to take pictures of the products to display on social media and on our website. For this purpose, I do believe the K-5 will be more than enough, as I'm not planning on doing any giant printing.
The second scenario the camera will be used for, is taking pictures of my dog, including action and portrait shots. I have a Malinois and the breed is very energetic, we don't do any sports for dogs (like agility), but I would like to take nice pictures of him jumping and running around, so I need a camera that can take pictures fast(as far as I know).

Both conditions I will not struggle with light, normally the shots will be taken under controlled light environment or during the daytime at a park or around the city. I am inclined on the K-5II just to have a safeguard on the faster AF system, but for the £75 difference, I'm not entirely convinced it is worth it.

My budget is around £250-300.
I'm looking on MPB for a used body, and I can see that the original K-5 goes for a max of £174 (excellent condition, boxed with shutter count less than 15k) and the K-5II is around £250 (good condition with shutter count around 20-30k).
For the lens, it will depend on which body I will buy. My though on it was to buy a kit lens to begin with. If I choose to go for the original K-5, I'm able to add another lens to it, so I'm open to any recommendations as well.

12-31-2022, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Read this: Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Autofocus | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Then consider the distances involved. What lenses are you likely to use? The 55-300 plm or 16-50 PLM are the fastest, but on a k-5 series camera they are going to only work wide open. This is not a huge problem for the 55-300 PLM as the wide open setting has good image quality and it’s f4.5-6.3 so not inappropriate for the lighting conditions you describe. However I’m guessing these lenses are far outside your budget.

Shooting action images of dogs isn’t that hard, but it depends on your standards. If you are willing to accept missing a few shots then I’d expect either camera with any lens (even manual focus) can get you great images. The k-5 will struggle at lower light and also has an issue with certain artificial lights but none of that seems to apply to your scenario. If it was up to me, and I was budget limited, I’d probably get the plain k-5 and try to buy the best lens that made sense for the shooting scenario.

The 18-135 is a reasonable all around lens that isn’t expensive. I’ve used it in the past to photograph dogs. It isn’t super long in reach, but if you’re interacting with the dog that 18mm end combined with the 135 end make it easy to get framing right vs the 55-300 which works great until the dog comes too close.
12-31-2022, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hugo Bucussi Quote
but I would like to take nice pictures of him jumping and running around, so I need a camera that can take pictures fast(as far as I know).
For successful pictures of dogs in action there are a number elements in play:

1. Fast shutter speed if you want to freeze the action completely (not always desirable, but that is for another topic)

2. Continuous shooting mode where camera takes shot after shot as long as you keep shutter button depressed.

3. Continuous Autofocus where the camera will track your subject as he moves closer/further from you.

4. Suitable lens.

1+2 will not be an issue as the K-5 in all it's versions is very capable.

3 and 4 may be more problematic depending how quick your dogs move ! Hopefully someone with experience of the K5 versions can give more detailed advice, but the "kit" lens may not be your best bet for this as it may not be able to keep up as well as more modern lenses. If money was no object I would advise the K3 III and the D FA 70-200 f2.8, but that kit is way out of your budget. Possibly the K 5 II + DA 55-300 (check compatability) would be better suited specifically for action shots.

For all your other intended uses...still shots/portraits the K5 + kit would work perfectly.

I hope this helps even though I realise I have given you more questions than answers.
12-31-2022, 07:12 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Read this: Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Autofocus | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Then consider the distances involved. What lenses are you likely to use? The 55-300 plm or 16-50 PLM are the fastest, but on a k-5 series camera they are going to only work wide open. This is not a huge problem for the 55-300 PLM as the wide open setting has good image quality and it’s f4.5-6.3 so not inappropriate for the lighting conditions you describe. However I’m guessing these lenses are far outside your budget.

Shooting action images of dogs isn’t that hard, but it depends on your standards. If you are willing to accept missing a few shots then I’d expect either camera with any lens (even manual focus) can get you great images. The k-5 will struggle at lower light and also has an issue with certain artificial lights but none of that seems to apply to your scenario. If it was up to me, and I was budget limited, I’d probably get the plain k-5 and try to buy the best lens that made sense for the shooting scenario.

The 18-135 is a reasonable all around lens that isn’t expensive. I’ve used it in the past to photograph dogs. It isn’t super long in reach, but if you’re interacting with the dog that 18mm end combined with the 135 end make it easy to get framing right vs the 55-300 which works great until the dog comes too close.
That's a great point, the distances for the shots will be mostly close shots. I would say I will be around around 3-15 meters distant from the subject. I saw a lot of good feedback about the 18-135 WR, but I was also wondering if the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 would be a good option? They are at the same price range, I know that the Pentax 18-135 is water resistant, which can be something I might benefit as well.

I will keep an eye on MPB for a K-5 body, I think I might get more benefits spending the extra £75 getting a better lens. Is the Pentax 18-135 WR the best cost effective lens I can get on a budget? Or the Sigma and Tamron have better options?

---------- Post added 12-31-22 at 07:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
For successful pictures of dogs in action there are a number elements in play:

1. Fast shutter speed if you want to freeze the action completely (not always desirable, but that is for another topic)

2. Continuous shooting mode where camera takes shot after shot as long as you keep shutter button depressed.

3. Continuous Autofocus where the camera will track your subject as he moves closer/further from you.

4. Suitable lens.

1+2 will not be an issue as the K-5 in all it's versions is very capable.

3 and 4 may be more problematic depending how quick your dogs move ! Hopefully someone with experience of the K5 versions can give more detailed advice, but the "kit" lens may not be your best bet for this as it may not be able to keep up as well as more modern lenses. If money was no object I would advise the K3 III and the D FA 70-200 f2.8, but that kit is way out of your budget. Possibly the K 5 II + DA 55-300 (check compatability) would be better suited specifically for action shots.

For all your other intended uses...still shots/portraits the K5 + kit would work perfectly.

I hope this helps even though I realise I have given you more questions than answers.
Very helpful points you stated.

I'm planning the kit lenses for a start, but I will not be spending big money in future on other lenses, even though you can never predict how much involved you can get once you start in photography.

I've saw many posts mentioning that the K-5II is having a better AF system, and that's why it got me in doubt about the versions of the K-5 I should buy. The only thing is that I'm not sure if it's better to get the K-5II and stick with the kit lens for some time, or to get the original K-5 and invest in a faster lens.

12-31-2022, 08:29 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The signs 17-70 is a nice enough lens by all accounts. I haven’t used one personally so I can’t compare it to the 18-135. My 18-135 has given me some excellent images over the years.

IMGP1191-pp by -vanya_42nd-

IMGP8260_DxO (Nothin' but a hound dawg) by -vanya_42nd-

IMGP8215_DxO by -vanya_42nd-
12-31-2022, 08:49 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a great point, the distances for the shots will be mostly close shots. I would say I will be around around 3-15 meters distant from the subject. I saw a lot of good feedback about the 18-135 WR, but I was also wondering if the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 would be a good option? They are at the same price range, I know that the Pentax 18-135 is water resistant, which can be something I might benefit as well.

I will keep an eye on MPB for a K-5 body, I think I might get more benefits spending the extra £75 getting a better lens. Is the Pentax 18-135 WR the best cost effective lens I can get on a budget? Or the Sigma and Tamron have better options?

---------- Post added 12-31-22 at 07:19 AM ----------

Very helpful points you stated.

I'm planning the kit lenses for a start, but I will not be spending big money in future on other lenses, even though you can never predict how much involved you can get once you start in photography.

I've saw many posts mentioning that the K-5II is having a better AF system, and that's why it got me in doubt about the versions of the K-5 I should buy. The only thing is that I'm not sure if it's better to get the K-5II and stick with the kit lens for some time, or to get the original K-5 and invest in a faster lens.
The pentax PLM or a Sigma HSM are lenses allowing fast focus thanks to electronic motors. If you find a cheap sigma HSM 17-50 or 17-70 that might be an excellent (better than) starter kit lens...
(Note the older variant are not HSM, check type! )
12-31-2022, 09:43 AM - 4 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

not sure how helpful this would be given my puppers are half the size n smaller..............but my preference is low, close n wide using a preset focal distance and f stop which i need to approximate when shooting cause i ain't looking thru the camera
since you would be further away wide the dof would be quite deep......this manner allows a free hand for a flash set at a given power with simple radio trigger

with flash....35mm on K-50

no flash at 28mm on K-50

there's also this thread and some folks state what they shooting with to give you some reference.....n you can also share there once ya start shooting!!

Your Pet A Day.... (post up!) - Page 895 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by Aaron28; 12-31-2022 at 09:53 AM.
12-31-2022, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

When you are shooting movement, a good idea is to give yourself enough field of view for the subject, that way it will not jump out of your viewfinder each time you try to take a picture. If you have good lighting, which is usually found outside, mostly sunny days are great light for the action shots, being that you can use an appropriate shutter speed for action, aperture for depth of image you want to cover, and ISO which you want to be a fairly low number if possible, All of those are easiest to achieve when good light is available. As for indoors, a flash will be very valuable in many cases to provide light that is not already there. The lens that you use will benefit from the light and aperture you can use, so the 18-135 and 17-70 could both be considered, depending on what type distance you want to cover with either of those zooms. The 17-70 will be advantageous if you plan on shooting short distances with a wide aperture, but the 18-135 will give you zoom flexibility, and as I said if you shoot in good light in the first place, you will have the choice of using higher aperture numbers with whatever lens you are using. It may depend on what conditions are going to be available for the user to shoot.
01-02-2023, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Thanks a lot everyone!

I saw the topic moving towards the lens selection more than the camera body, so I presume that the original K-5 will be good enough for my purpose. The lens I'm really inclined towards the Sigma 17-70mm. I like the idea of the Pentax 18-135 being Weather Resistant, so I may change my mind on that.
Is the Pentax prime 50mm f/1.8 a good lens as well? I always see recommendations on getting a 50mm lens doesn't matter the system you get (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Fuji).

I will keep an eye on the MPB website to see if I get a good used K-5 body, the other day they had an excellent condition one with less than 8k shutter count for £174, but it seems that someone got that for New Year
01-02-2023, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Either of the zoom lenses you mentioned would provide nice images and would be good to start with. If you wanted to move to a prime lens like the 50 mm later you could, but it would not have the zoom range flexibility you would have with the zooms. Of course it depends on what your preferences are and what you are shooting. Good luck with your decision.
01-02-2023, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I noticed a thread mentioning a K-5 IIs in the latest threads today.
01-02-2023, 02:47 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

yep.....appears the charger is mia tho.....

Pentax K-5IIs - PentaxForums.com

and another

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/450680-sa...tery-grip.html

Last edited by Aaron28; 01-02-2023 at 04:31 PM.
01-03-2023, 02:21 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
Unfortunately I live in the UK, and price difference here from a K-5 to a K-5II is around £75-100. I've found a K-5 in excellent condition (12k shots) for £169, the same website have a K-5II in good condition (32k shots) for £239.
01-03-2023, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Unfortunately I live in the UK, and price difference here from a K-5 to a K-5II is around £75-100. I've found a K-5 in excellent condition (12k shots) for £169, the same website have a K-5II in good condition (32k shots) for £239.
That is nice that you found a Pentax K-5. Happy shooting.
01-03-2023, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I've found a K-5 in excellent condition (12k shots) for £169, the same website have a K-5II in good condition (32k shots) for £239.
good news.....was not aware ya is across the pond!