Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2010, 12:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wireless Transmitter on pentax K-5

is there a news that the new K-5 or K-R will be equipped with this facility ???
anyone here know about the information?

another question :

would you guys like this feature to be implement in Pentax DSLR ?

08-29-2010, 03:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Isn't this already available via the Wireless P-TTL? I thought my on-board flash of k200d could send TTL data trough pre-strobe to off-camera flashas that support it.
08-29-2010, 03:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
no, wireless mean here Wifi or bluetooth not infrared, so we dont have to pull out the sd card to move our picture, we can just gain direct to the camera,

nikon D2x has it... and its 5 years ago..
08-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Isn't this already available via the Wireless P-TTL? I thought my on-board flash of k200d could send TTL data trough pre-strobe to off-camera flashas that support it.
I don't think it refers to wireless flash, i think it refers to wireless transfer of images! Think Canon, which would be extremely nice. Canon has had this technology for awhile

08-31-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ewig Quote
no, wireless mean here Wifi or bluetooth not infrared, so we dont have to pull out the sd card to move our picture, we can just gain direct to the camera...
Would only really make sense in combination with "tethered shooting" here without a cable of course.

I cannot quite imagine that Pentax jumped from "no tethering" (K-7) to "wireless tethered shooting" (K-5). Seems a bit of a leap. And doing the wireless thing just for downloading images? I don't know...
09-01-2010, 02:58 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Eye-Fi card??

You can quicly and easily add "tethering" to the K7, use an Eye-Fi card and set your viewing program to see the selected folder...

But yes tethering and wireless, blue tooth for flash control yes this would all be great things.
09-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
for sure ... i think wifi or bluetooth also not a big leap for pentax... but when it implemented to pentax DSLR... it will rock... \m/

09-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Would only really make sense in combination with "tethered shooting" here without a cable of course.

I cannot quite imagine that Pentax jumped from "no tethering" (K-7) to "wireless tethered shooting" (K-5). Seems a bit of a leap. And doing the wireless thing just for downloading images? I don't know...
Absolutely agree with ya here. Plus wireless control/file xfer will be tying up your camera while the image(s) are bring xfer'd. Nothing is faster that swapping cards and getting right back to work shooting. If someone wants just stick the card into their iPad...oh, wait...

I would love tethered shooting via USB but wireless is not going to be as power friendly at all. So that means needing either a stack of batteries and/or an AC power supply adapter, as in another $75-$100 for a HoyaTax brand supply...helllllo, Radio Shaft...$40 and a billion different connectors and voltage settings.

But unless there is something of merit to wireless I would rather those funds went to SDM improvements.
11-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
You can quicly and easily add "tethering" to the K7, use an Eye-Fi card and set your viewing program to see the selected folder...

But yes tethering and wireless, blue tooth for flash control yes this would all be great things.
Has anyone tried it? The site says its not compatible with K7.
11-12-2010, 03:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patriotap Quote
Has anyone tried it? The site says its not compatible with K7.
I believe it depends on the card ,but may also simply mean that EyeFi has not tested the card and have not properly updated their lists. (They seemed to be a bit lax in keeping the chart up to date in the past -- dunno if I believe the chart when it says anything other than a Yes.)

I can confirm from my own use that the X2 Pro 8GB card works with both the K7 and the K5.
11-12-2010, 04:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
will eye FI also work in K10D ??? just curious ...
11-12-2010, 04:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

will eye FI also work in K10D ??? just curious ...
Definitely.
(edit):
Well the X2 Pro 8GB card does. It seems some other cards may have issues unless those have been ironed out. I remember them mentioning the 4GB card would not work. Turns out there is/was no X2 Pro 4GB card, but they actually meant another one that oddly did not work. Great company, great staff, but I do not trust their web team very much with posting accurate information.

For any specific questions on other cards it might be best to write to their customer support or to call them. They have been pretty responsive to the few times I contacted them for questions.
11-12-2010, 04:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

is there a news that the new K-5 or K-R will be equipped with this facility ???
anyone here know about the information?

another question :

would you guys like this feature to be implement in Pentax DSLR ?
"IR Simple" is implemented in K-r (not in K-5). Is that what you meant?

---quote from K-r manual---
Supports InfraRed transmission (IrSimple/IrSS) which allows you to send and receive image data to and from cellphones and printers.
---end quote---
As well as play a "duelling game" with other K-r cameras, over IrDA. (yes, it's a Game you can play with images in the two cameras! Heavy stuff or what!! )

Translated that means: We at Pentax are still at the neanderthal development stage and might catch up with providing proper WiFi/BT networking protocols by next century if you're really lucky.

Remember "IR" that was on PC mainboards (via RS232 port 2)? Existed for years and almost nobody used it, because in practice it was less useful than tits on a bull.

As someone mentioned (was it here?) about a week ago functional WiFi could easily facilitate tethering too (as well as all the obvious like streaming, live online connectivity for uploads, plus, whatever... menial stuff that the real world takes for granted and operates on).

Gawd, we haven't even got flamin' GPS yet either.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-12-2010 at 05:18 AM.
11-12-2010, 05:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Disagree. Tits on a bull are very useful.
11-12-2010, 06:43 AM   #15

Someone in the forums tried the EyeFi with the K5 and is working fine also read that it works with the K7, although none of this is on the EyeFi site. There is also an app for the IPAD called shuttersnitch that works with the EyeFi to allow wireless tethering.

So I just ordered the EyeFi and will be giving it a try!